Weight Loss Plateau

Hey all you Bulletproof Monks,

So I've been on this great weight loss journey since the beginning of November.  The first month I just cut calories and was doing massive amounts of cardio and lost 9 lbs. That's when I found the bulletproof podcast and really started to modify my diet to healthy fats and a lot of what Dave discusses because I have psoriasis and was intrigued by the idea of an anti-inflamitory diet. Well the weight just melted off and between December and the middle of January, I had lost 25 lbs. Then ... I plateaued, wavering back and forth between 206 - 210/ 21% - 23% body fat for over a month and a half now. I decided a month ago to dive head first into bulletproof IF but still am in the Plateau. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break out of it? I really want to get under 10% body fat. I just had my blood work done two weeks ago and my hormones looked good, so I'm kind of stumped here! Thanks for ahead for any advice! 

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    What does a typical day of food look like for you

( type, quantity)
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Bulletproof coffee in the mornings. We've been busy at work lately but I normally go to lunch at 2:30, so I pack my lunch which is steamed veggies, boiled chicken, Patak's Tikka Masala sauce, and grassed butter with herbs and lemon juice. Dinner is usually something similar to that around 8pm. Once or twice a week I'll grab a steak bowl from Chipotle because they combine lime juice with their rice, I need some dairy in my diet, and lesbihonest ... it's really yummy. I haven't found too many other recipes to add into my collection yet. I'd also love some recommendations on that as well! 

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    edited March 2
    At least your honest, bottle sauces, dairy, fast food gotta go if you want to be serious, what dairy is your issue? Yoghurt?
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

I'm personally of the opinion that you need to be 95%+ percent strict with your diet to lose weight consistently and feel really good. "Kinda doing it" doesn't cut it, at least for me, sadly.

Dairy doesn't need to go completely, but you need to keep an eye on it... Raw milk would be best, maybe a yogurt (something low sugar) on your carb days. I personally do just that to keep my "dairy cravings" in check - a random 'eco' variety yogurt on my carbups. 

Bottled sauces needs to go. Just check the label, it'll be full of sugar and other stuff. You'd rather sub that with a natural-ish ketchup of sorts. Some salsa varieties might be good as well. But if it's small amounts it's probably not a big deal.

I'd start eating beef and lamb as staples if I were you, and only have chicken for "variety" once or twice per week. Drop Chipotle and eating out... and instead bring something with you. 

Make sure you are not eating dry meat and get a fat source with your meals. Vary your veggies - sometimes eat hot/sauteed/steamed veggies, sometimes salad'ish.

Yeah, some sacrifices need to be made... But you are on the elitist end of the dieting spectrum, so man up! :-]

• I am also having weight loss plateau issues. Down to 204 lbs from my high of 217 lbs but it's taken me over three months to lose just that much. I was so excited a week ago when I got down to 201 lbs but within a few days was back up to 204.

How I'm eating...

What is bulletproof:

• Start each day with BP coffee (decaf only unfortunately)
    • Stay under 20g of carbs/day
    • Macros stay around 75% fat, 20% protein, & 5% carbs (stopped counting them after the first month though)
    • When I cook I use only grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken and eggs

What is not bulletproof:

• Haven't consciously tried to do intermittent fasting although I've think I sometimes inadvertently end up doing it
    • Don't do carb refeeds
    • I still do dairy but I am very strict about what kind - I stick with raw and/or grass fed cheese, organic heavy cream, and organic grass-fed kefir
    • When I eat out (a few times/week), I allow myself to eat non-grassfed beef and dairy (and occasionally a little half and half)

I just got the lab results from my last doctor's appointment and had the following irregularities: high cholesterol (both types and total), low carbon dioxide, low monocytes, high DHEA sulfate, high HS-CRP, high homocysteine, and high magnesium RBC. On the upside, my glucose is back to a normal range (it was in the pre-pre diabetic range before bulletproof).

I am a yo-yo exerciser. Some weeks I do a lot. Some weeks I do very little. I have a sedentary job but have to do a good half hour of walking every day as part of my commute.

Any advice or insight?

I like how I feel on this diet. I have absolutely no cravings and enjoy not being hungry all the time. I also have been able to go completely off the depression and ADD meds I've been on for over a decade. But I am getting really discouraged about the stalled weight loss.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Dom D'Aggostino recommends staying away from lactose if you cholesterol is high. However this happens sometimes....
    If you stay away from carbs for too long you can become carb intolerant. those few pounds can come one quickly as soon as you drop out of keto.
    I encourage you to track your food intake and weight again. I do it on a daily basis. However I think the introduction of refeeds and carb intolerance might be a thing that's already happening to you. Reintroduce small amounts of carbs or it may be a bad day for you...

Don't know about the other stuff but I hirgh crp is bad and a sign for inflammation.

@fabgab said:
    I am also having weight loss plateau issues. Down to 204 lbs from my high of 217 lbs but it's taken me over three months to lose just that much. I was so excited a week ago when I got down to 201 lbs but within a few days was back up to 204.

How I'm eating...

What is bulletproof:

• Start each day with BP coffee (decaf only unfortunately)
    • Stay under 20g of carbs/day
    • Macros stay around 75% fat, 20% protein, & 5% carbs (stopped counting them after the first month though)
    • When I cook I use only grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken and eggs

What is not bulletproof:

• Haven't consciously tried to do intermittent fasting although I've think I sometimes inadvertently end up doing it
    • Don't do carb refeeds
    • I still do dairy but I am very strict about what kind - I stick with raw and/or grass fed cheese, organic heavy cream, and organic grass-fed kefir
    • When I eat out (a few times/week), I allow myself to eat non-grassfed beef and dairy (and occasionally a little half and half)

I just got the lab results from my last doctor's appointment and had the following irregularities: high cholesterol (both types and total), low carbon dioxide, low monocytes, high DHEA sulfate, high HS-CRP, high homocysteine, and high magnesium RBC. On the upside, my glucose is back to a normal range (it was in the pre-pre diabetic range before bulletproof).

I am a yo-yo exerciser. Some weeks I do a lot. Some weeks I do very little. I have a sedentary job but have to do a good half hour of walking every day as part of my commute.

Any advice or insight?

I like how I feel on this diet. I have absolutely no cravings and enjoy not being hungry all the time. I also have been able to go completely off the depression and ADD meds I've been on for over a decade. But I am getting really discouraged about the stalled weight loss.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• fabgabfabgab
    edited March 2

Thanks for the info Dom. I do have a lot of inflammation issues. I have carpal tunnel, trigger thumb, and meralgia paraesthetica - all syndromes related to inflammation. I also read that low carbon dioxide can be a sign of ketoacidosis. Should I be worried? Sounds like I should start doing carb re-feeds tout suite!