Bcaa Usage

I've seen a handful of mentions of BCAA usage in the fourm. When following the Leangains protocol, I got very used to taking BCAAs before early morning workouts. I've been losing weight consistently while on the Bulletproof Diet but I'm ready to put some more muscle on. I have a 9-5 job so working out right before ending my fast at 2:00 PM is never an option during workdays. I've been working out 3 times a week around 5:30 or 6:00 PM, towards the end of my feeding window. If I'm not working out in the fasted state, are BCAAs still necessary? I know Martin said they weren't necessary but I was eating a lot more protein while on Leangains.

If BCAAs are necessary, what are some Bulletproof options out there? I've used Scivation Xtend in the past but it seems full of chemicals I'd rather not mess with. Thanks!

Comments

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

I have found that finding bulletproof BCAA powder is tough.

I take BCAAs before any workout because I like the way it makes me feel and it improves my workouts.  I eat lunch at 2 with BPC at 5:30am most of the time.  BCAAs before 6 pm workout. 

• southerngentsoutherngent Body by Butter

Come to think of it, I do remember a certain mass to my muscles when I was using BCAAs. This has pushed me enough in the direction to throw some in and see how I feel. Like you mentioned, M. Thomas, the real trick will be finding something at least mostly Bulletproof. Thanks, y'all.

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013

I noticed much faster recovery and less DOMS when I added 10g BCAAs pre.

They are also not that horrible to drink... powder goes first in the mouth.. then some water, man it up a bit and I get a real bitter kick :)

You could grab the powder from here: http://purebulk.com/bcaa-branch-chain-amino-acids-powder.html - but I'm from Europe, so not sure if it's a good price for you guys.

• southerngentsoutherngent Body by Butter
    I find that method works well for most powdered supplements! You know you're getting every last granule!
  • Are there any good 'bulletproof' brands of bcaa powder? 

• ... powder goes first in the mouth.. then some water, man it up a bit and I get a real bitter kick :)

I tried this, the result was simular to the cinnamon challenge :-P
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]

I tried this, the result was simular to the cinnamon challenge :-P

Tell us more.

The trick, I found, is to pour the powder under your tongue, not on it.

• AblettAblett
    edited March 2013

Am I missing why not just in a shaker cup w/ water?

The powder sits on top of the water & doesn't dissolve , if u shake in a bottle with other aminos like glutamine it will dissolve better.

Real men eat raw amino's of the spoon!
  • Tell us more.

The trick, I found, is to pour the powder under your tongue, not on it.

Think I have to take less than 10g next time :)

[email protected]
    edited March 2013

Think I have to take less than 10g next time

10 g under the tongue. Works just fine... I thought you were the badassest on this forum about these things, lol. You disappoint.

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

5 g pre workout and 5 g post workout via suppository.  PROVEN WITH SCIENCE

• I use a 24g, 1/2" rig w/ my bcaa's :D

/Anabolism!

• 10 g under the tongue. Works just fine... I thought you were the badassest on this forum about these things, lol. You disappoint.

I did a teaspoon of ascorbic acid under the tongue, that will wake you up in the morning :)

[email protected]
  • edited March 2013

ascorbic acid feels so acid i never feel like it's good to take so much..

I do 10g bcaa/glutamine  mix daily, and 5g+ creatine.  this is typically to break my fasting and is at trainign-time (late afternoon)

• Figured rather than making a new post, I'd ask here. So in my notetaking journey of the Bulletproof life, I found something interesting in Podcast #7 or #8 (I will re-check in a bit). Dave said to take 5g of BCAAs a day to increase immune functioning. In Podcast #8 there is also a study provided on BCCAs for the elderly to combat resistance to amino acids/increase skeletal muscle protein metabolism. I haven't taken my BCAAs in awhile, but tonight before the end of my feeding window, took 5g.

A couple questions:

(1) Is it fine if I just take them at night before starting my fasting period again?

(2) Would there be more optimal times to take it during my feeding window? Say, take it with my first meal?

(3) Would it be a waste to take 10-20g a day? I'm trying to put on muscle anyhow, just wondering if there would be any added benefit (extra muscle protein synthesis, increased uptake of protein, etc.) or any extra immune boosting properties

(4) Just a little tidbit - I'm not taking them around training for specific purposes outlined in other posts/questions of mine... May start taking them around Jiu-Jitsu though.

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• Does taking them take you out of fasting mode?

Also, does taking them at bedtime/at the end of the feeding window help with sleeping?

I went for a hike this a.m. and felt a bit queasy.  I wonder if I need to add more butter to the bpc or something if I'm gonna workout before breaking the fast?

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I doubt BCAAs would take out out of fasting mode and if they do it wouldn't be for long and the benefit of stopping any muscle wastage offsets it. It's part of the supplements used in the Rapid Fat Loss Protocol, so it definitely has it's uses. It'll take someone with more knowledge to explain all the chemistry and biology behind it.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/rapid-fat-loss-protocol/

I use them every morning before and after training during my fasting window. 6g before, 6g after.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Hello,

I see a lot of talk about BCAA and the BP Coffee regime but, I don't see any answers.

I workout in the morning from 6am - 7am and usually take a BCAA after that.

I just started the BP Coffee and want to know if it will ruin my fasting window if I take the BCAA around the same time I drink my BP Coffee?

Thanks.