Whey Vs Casein And Insulemic Response

I currently use Optimum Gold Standard Natural 100% Casein for my protein of choice. From what I'm reading here, the bulletproof diet says casein is bad and to use whey. I can't use whey because the insulemic response I have to it causes me to breakout like I'm just hitting puberty all over again (I'm 33).

Would this micellar casein protein I use be ok, or is it still recommended against?

Is there a way to dramatically reduce the insulemic response from whey so I can keep my clear skin?

Cheers and thanks,

Josh

Tagged:

Comments

• I currently use Optimum Gold Standard Natural 100% Casein for my protein of choice. From what I'm reading here, the bulletproof diet says casein is bad and to use whey. I can't use whey because the insulemic response I have to it causes me to breakout like I'm just hitting puberty all over again (I'm 33).

Would this micellar casein protein I use be ok, or is it still recommended against?

Is there a way to dramatically reduce the insulemic response from whey so I can keep my clear skin?

Cheers and thanks,

Josh

It could be worse

BEST choice is egg whites by far

Lowest response in regards to insulin
  • Yes, because whey protein with its excellent bcaa content has shown to improve insulin function, sensitivity, and glucose uptake, if you don't respond well to or don't want these attributes, you may want an inferior product.

Thank you Carlos for turning me on to this subject, very interesting. Since you are insulin resistant, wouldn't improving your sensitivity be a good idea. I really don't know much about this.

Edit: it sounds snarky, not intentional.

Been working on the insulin sensitivity issue for the past 2 months by doing fairly strict paleo (except protein powder) and intermittent fasting in the mornings. Doesn't seem to have reduced my high insulin spike with whey though. Whey has so far NOT improved my insulin function...just the opposite in fact.

Egg white protein has been my solution in the past. Less bang for my buck though and whey taste so much better!

• Shitty deal. Does the gold standard have any artificial sweeteners or flavours? Just for kicks I wonder if it was a grass fed whey without any sweeteners or flavours there might be a difference? Even without having these issues, I notice a difference between popular brands and a nice additive free grass fed one.

Have no clue about the grass fed part. Will contact Optimum and see what they say.

As for sweetners, it uses only stevia.

• Casein is very highly processed , the end product is virtually MSG hence why casein is added to many food items to enhance flavour. Also it coagulates in the inner intestine wall preventing protein & nutrient absorption.

Junk product.
  • So finding a reasonably priced, decent tasting, all natural egg white protein powder is difficult.

MRM All Natural Egg White Protein seems to be the only one I can find that meets these criteria. Anyone have an opinion or recommendation?

• Yes, because whey protein with its excellent bcaa content has shown to improve insulin function, sensitivity, and glucose uptake, if you don't respond well to or don't want these attributes, you may want an inferior product.

Thank you Carlos for turning me on to this subject, very interesting. Since you are insulin resistant, wouldn't improving your sensitivity be a good idea. I really don't know much about this.

Edit: it sounds snarky, not intentional.

Yes,

Egg whites have one of the highest levels of leucine

and produce the lowest response of insulin 

win?

Been working on the insulin sensitivity issue for the past 2 months by doing fairly strict paleo (except protein powder) and intermittent fasting in the mornings. Doesn't seem to have reduced my high insulin spike with whey though. Whey has so far NOT improved my insulin function...just the opposite in fact.

Egg white protein has been my solution in the past. Less bang for my buck though and whey taste so much better!

are you diabetic or insulin resistant?

read this 

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/53/9/2375.full

• edited March 2013

Did you see at amazon the additive free egg whites 10lb box for $100? Seems a better deal than the mrm.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually afraid to order that because of the foaming and taste, but after some research I found I can just add coconut oil and cocoa powder as emulsifiers to the water, which also happens to make it taste much better according to those that suggested this tweak.

Also, you can order is direct from Rose Acre Farm for nearly half the price on Amazon.

BTW, Jason, I am not unhealthy. I haven't been sick in years, my GI tract shows no sign of problems, and I have energy enough to work my usual 16 hour work days without feeling exahusted either mentally or physically. Whey simply does not agree with my skin. Most likely because my skin is highly responsive to IGF-1 and DHT. My testosterone levels hover at about 2.5 x the average male's and my blood protein synthesis levels hover at the upper range that my doctor would consider safe. I put on muscle with little effort so long as I keep myself fed. Taking steps to mediate my hormones so they don't cause problems is a biohack I've had to stay on top of. If whey must be sacrificed, that's the whey to go.

• Win what? I helped him find a good price on it because that's what he wants. I'm healthy so I get my protein and fat from grass fed cows, it's really bothersome to me that an unhealthy person has to choose a protein that comes from an animal designed to eat grain or that soy garbage, seems unfair to me.

Doesnt the FAQ say that you can have Poverty egg whites if you are on a budget for protein?

Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually afraid to order that because of the foaming and taste, but after some research I found I can just add coconut oil and cocoa powder as emulsifiers to the water, which also happens to make it taste much better according to those that suggested this tweak.

Also, you can order is direct from Rose Acre Farm for nearly half the price on Amazon.

BTW, Jason, I am not unhealthy. I haven't been sick in years, my GI tract shows no sign of problems, and I have energy enough to work my usual 16 hour work days without feeling exahusted either mentally or physically. Whey simply does not agree with my skin. Most likely because my skin is highly responsive to IGF-1 and DHT. My testosterone levels hover at about 2.5 x the average male's and my blood protein synthesis levels hover at the upper range that my doctor would consider safe. I put on muscle with little effort so long as I keep myself fed. Taking steps to mediate my hormones so they don't cause problems is a biohack I've had to stay on top of. If whey must be sacrificed, that's the whey to go.

2.5x the average? so what are your test levels?

Pics of physique?

• edited March 2013

Carlos, can't say until I have my WellnessFX bloodwork back. Basing those #'s on a 24 hour urine analyis and bloodwork l had early last year. The data sheet has since gone missing when I moved. :(

Pics won't impress right now anyway. I dropped nearly 20 lbs of almost pure muscle last year due to simply not feeding myself, which is why I added the caveat about keeping fed.

Trying to figure out an MED training regimen this year that I hope will fit my insane work schedule and current budget. I need to tweak my nutrition, especially protein intake, to sustain muscle growth without hurting my wallet or my digestive tract.

BTW, I hope my previous post wasn't taken as bragging. I really wanted to illustrate that it is possible to be healthy but still be unable to eat certain foods deemed "healthy" due to an individual's genetic factors. We're all built a little different. :)

• edited January 2014

Shitty deal. Does the gold standard have any artificial sweeteners or flavours? Just for kicks I wonder if it was a grass fed whey without any sweeteners or flavours there might be a difference? Even without having these issues, I notice a difference between popular brands and a nice additive free grass fed one.

Just wanted your advice as you seem to be one of the experienced posters here.

Would artificial sweeteners or GMO soy be a worse ingredient in protein? I'm ordering either Dymatize or ON Gold Standard as I'm running out and ordering a grassfed source would take a few weeks to be delivered. I've been consuming ON before starting on BP.

Dymatize ingredients.Stevia as a sweetener and supposed to be "all natural"" except for the soy.

http://www.gymbistro.com/collections/dymatize/products/dymatize_singapore-elite-100-whey-protein-5lbs

ON Gold Standard.

Ingredients:   Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolate, Cultured Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Cocoa(Processed With Alkali), Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Aminogen®, Lactase.       ALLERGEN INFORMATION:   Contains Milk And Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients.

Any advice?