Protien Bars Or Cookies?

-db-db
edited March 2013 in Bulletproof Recipes

Anyone have recipes that they have tried and liked for either?

Having these to carry with me would make things a lot easier for as I am on the road a lot for work or when I am busy afterwards and not someplace I can make dinner. I don't want to try to prepare food and carry it with me. Plus I'm not big on eating things cold.

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Protein bar- beef jerky cut into a rectangle

Protein cookie- beef jerky cut into a circle.

That's all I got
    body composition coaching through Eat to Perform
  • Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    Lol
    Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

You can make BP stuff to carry with you but its not going to be a cookie or protein bar. 

• Melt Cocoa butter and coconut oil mix with stevia or xylitol and some whey, chocolate powder, nuts or shredded coconut. Pour in a pan and cut in pieces when solid, gets solid faster in freezer. Not optimal to ad whey to heated liquids maybe but you'll have a protein bar with high fat content
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • Melt Cocoa butter and coconut oil mix with stevia or xylitol and some whey, chocolate powder, nuts or shredded coconut. Pour in a pan and cut in pieces when solid, gets solid faster in freezer. Not optimal to ad whey to heated liquids maybe but you'll have a protein bar with high fat content

That sounds great!  I was actually wondering about this yesterday! :-P

• Pierre, thanks for the idea. I think that would make a good base for some experimenting.

• My favorite protein bar is a piece of grilled chicken. My favorite protein "cookie" is a grass-fed beef burger. Delish! Tin foil is the best invention, if you're looking for something On the Go! 

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

My favorite protein bar is a piece of grilled chicken. My favorite protein "cookie" is a grass-fed beef burger. Delish! Tin foil is the best invention, if you're looking for something On the Go! 

I have a hard time digesting tin foil.

No sorcery, just science. 

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

I have a hard time digesting tin foil.

You need to ferment it longer.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

it has to be aluminum free.

body composition coaching through Eat to Perform
  • You could make a bulletproof version of baked granola bars, substituting granola with almonds, macadamia nuts, and cashews. Use low sugar varieties of fruit. Stay away from Omega 3 eggs and you might be able to get away with cooking in egg yolk as a binder. Make sure you've blended the nuts into a fine mash. Balance said ingredients with varying amounts of grass-fed butter, a small amount of water, and a dash of salt. Once you've prepared the "granola" recipe in the oven, throw a peeled and prepared avocado into a beater with chocolate powder, xylitol, a few tbsp of coconut oil, water, and whey protein. This will make something resembling a chocolate truffle if you shape it accordingly. Once the "granola" recipe is out of the oven, chilled, and cut it into your desires bars size/shape, you can then form the chocolate truffle blend around the solid bar. For the final touch, try and prepare a light chocolate sauce (Egg yolks included?) with vanilla. Dip the "granola" bar conglomerate into the prepare sauce and chill until hardened. There's a few potential problems with this, one being the melting point of the outer layer of chocolate, and another being the stability of the bar, depending on how you've shaped the truffle around the bar. None the less it can be moderate in protein and very high in fat! Enjoy!  :)

• I once did coconut oil, shredded coconut, almonds, and dark chocolate basically all melted together, chilled and sliced. It gets messy real fast

• I've gone round and round on this question for years, being a person with allergies etc. The nut-date bars are the starting point, but even using something low-glycemic like goji berries, I find you end up with way too much sugar for the bar to actually be filling.

So then you go to something like what Pierre posted. The challenge there is (in warmer weather/conditions) having something that won't melt, although you can carry it on an ice pack. I don't like to bake eggs, so sometimes I've used a chia seed gel as a binder, or basil seed gel for fewer pufas. If you do that, you have to dehydrate the bars, or they'll fall apart and go bad.

To avoid pufas/sugars, when I can get around the melting issue I prefer something like Pierre described; I melt a bunch of coconut butter, put in whatever spices/herbs (e.g. turmeric, cinnamon, maca) I want, maybe some protein powder (no whey for me, though), salt, stevia, shredded coconut for texture. I like to put sunflower lecithin, which also helps hold it together. 

Sometimes I mix the coconut butter with homemade pili nut butter. I'm surprised not more mention of pili nuts here--they're even higher in sat fat and lower in protein/pufas than mac nuts are. OTOH I find it very important to soak them in peroxide, get the skins off, and inspect for mold, so that could be an issue...

And if/when one can get around the melting issue, one could just take along dark dark chocolate instead!