Liver Recipes?

How do you guys prep and cook your liver? I have virtually zero experience cooking it and all i really see online is liver and onions.

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    I chop it up small and cook med/low for a minimum amount of time. You could cook it up with ground beef as well to lower the richness.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • I am working on trying to eat liver too.  I've never cooked it before but I think marinading it is the only way I will be able to get it down.  Check this recipie out http://food52.com/recipes/2790-portuguese-marinated-liver-iscas-com-elas I am going to try it but alter it to make it bp.  I heard you must marinate liver in vinegar or milk to make it palatable.

• Pierre EklundPierre Eklund pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    Cook it bp with lots of bacon, salt, leek and butter. :)
    Please email me instead of PM

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
  • Mike74747Mike74747
    edited March 2013

i soak it in water for an hour or overnight if i have time, then cook it low or medium heat in coconut oil(10 minutes) then i serve it with guacamole, very tastey

• Cook it bp with lots of bacon, salt, leek and butter. :)

I agree... if its good, grass fed liver and cleaned properly, it's sooooooo good just like that :)

• I cut liver into strips (like stroganoff beef strips) and roll them in almond powder and gently fry them in butter or ghee. They should still be pink inside.

• I tried marinading it in vinegar and bay leaves, then cooking it in onions, butter and garlic (yeah i know not 100% bp).  I still don't like it.  Next up, bulletproof liverwurst.  I will eat liver and like it.

• I'm going to try it in bacon fat.  Cook the bacon, pastured of course. Chop up some carrots, onion, green/hot pepper, mushrooms, and cook in bacon fat.  Add the liver when veggies about done, salt, add butter if necessary.  Will let you know how it goes.

• I think I hit on the issue: Liverwurst is made of pigs liver not cow (or calves).  I have been eating calves, and it is super strong tasting.  On a related note I cut up my marinated liver in very small pieces and put it in a stir fry and it was mostly undetectable.  But do let us know how the bacon fat experiment goes.

• I can ask my mom about her pâté recipe, and then we can tweak it to make it bulletproof.

• Liver is gross. I did my recipe. Liver tastes like cow poop. I like the bacon and sautéed veggies. The hot pepper adds spice. But I can't do this. A bit of a waste I think. I'll give the rest to the dogs, they'll love it!!!
  • Liver does suck, I can't bring myself to eat what I made a week ago, it's rotting in the fridge.  Here is a possible solution: http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=163 Desicated liver....

• Liver is gross. I did my recipe. Liver tastes like cow poop. I like the bacon and sautéed veggies. The hot pepper adds spice. But I can't do this. A bit of a waste I think. I'll give the rest to the dogs, they'll love it!!!

I posted my results in my vitamin A thread. I basically made it Pierre style. It tasted fine, but I wasnt crazy about the consistency. I did feel amazing the next day. Next I'm going to try Jason's method of chopping it up fine (maybe in a food processor?) and mixing it with GF ground beef.

Just as a side note, are you sure the liver was properly cleaned?
  • Is there any difference in the way you guys cook pig liver as opposed to cow? Or is it the same?

• Just as a side note, are you sure the liver was properly cleaned?

I don't know to be honest. I gave it a little rinse in the sink. I think I may have cooked too much at once. Going to try less next time and start the cooking process in one pan, drain the "grease", then finish in another with fresh bacon fat. I like the blended idea. Liver is just a hard meat to swallow, literally....for me.
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

I have yet to man up and try to prepare liver but I heard if you slowly simmer it in water for a little bit to remove all the blood from it than discard the water it helps with taste...this seems like it might deplete some nutrients though...

• Jamaican jerk it and add fish sauce…..it’s not BP….but it’s dam tasty!
  • I'm tellin' ya.  Grind it up and mix it with ground beef.  I do 30% liver and you don't even taste it.    I make meatballs and burgers out of it.  You could add a little liver everytime you use ground beef.  You could grind up some other organs in there too and get wild.  

• Pierre EklundPierre Eklund pierre.eklund@gmail.com

I'm tellin' ya. Grind it up and mix it with ground beef. I do 30% liver and you don't even taste it. I make meatballs and burgers out of it. You could add a little liver everytime you use ground beef. You could grind up some other organs in there too and get wild.

Sounds great, got your own grinder?
    Please email me instead of PM

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
  • Any word on if pig or chicken livers are ok?  I read that pork was not ok but that we'd have to wait for the reasoning.  I like the idea of grinding it up and adding it to my food, taking a bit of liver and cutting it in small pieces worked ok but to be honest I just did not enjoy my food with the liver in there, the taste is so overpowering I think you must have to add something like 1/4 lb liver to 4 lbs beef to not taste it.  And this is after I marinaded it for over 12 hours in vinegar.  It's a real turd in the punchbowl for me.

• My buddy has a heavy duty old school hand crank grinder we use to grind liver and heart.  It works great.  I'd like to get one of my own but I don't know about the cheap new ones on amazon.  might be shitty

Any word on if pig or chicken livers are ok?  I read that pork was not ok but that we'd have to wait for the reasoning.  I like the idea of grinding it up and adding it to my food, taking a bit of liver and cutting it in small pieces worked ok but to be honest I just did not enjoy my food with the liver in there, the taste is so overpowering I think you must have to add something like 1/4 lb liver to 4 lbs beef to not taste it.  And this is after I marinaded it for over 12 hours in vinegar.  It's a real turd in the punchbowl for me.

I've never really heard anyone talk about organ meats from any animals but cows.  If you find any info let us know.   I got some hog kidneys in my freezer right now i'd like to grind up.  I hate the taste of liver as much as anyone but 30% liver 70% heart I don't even taste it.  

• I make it into a delicious coconut curry.  You can also chop it into pill sized pieced while frozen and swallow them raw and frozen which preserves more of the enzymes in it. It's not as bad as it sounds. Some people will grate it while it's frozen then marinate it in lemon juice and chug it (only about a tbsp required). 

• I make it into a delicious coconut curry.  You can also chop it into pill sized pieced while frozen and swallow them raw and frozen which preserves more of the enzymes in it. It's not as bad as it sounds. Some people will grate it while it's frozen then marinate it in lemon juice and chug it (only about a tbsp required). 

Good ideas.  Consuming it raw makes a lot of sense.  It would be best nutritionally.  Plus most of us definitely don't enjoy eating it.  I know some people grind it into a pate raw and ferment it too.

• Chicken liver is one of nature's best iron rich foods. It is loaded with iron and can be a key tool in fighting iron deficiency and

iron deficiency ...

• karenkaren "Say your 3 S's: Star, Smile, Strong!"

I cook mine really rare, but this thread reminded me of something that I might try. I was at a restaurant and although I don't like foie gras, they had a preparation that was one of the most heavenly things I've ever tried. They basically cured it overnight, froze it, then shaved it with a cheese grater. The texture was like melt in your mouth freshly fallen snow and crazy good.

If you are up for the experiment and making the modifications to make this BP, here's the prep:

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/08/frozen-foie-gras-torchon/

Maybe a raw honey gelatin instead of the reisling jelly and a dehydrated raw cashew and kerrygold brittle? When I go to the farm for more liver in a few weeks I'll try this and report back.

• What about grilling it?

• Or making it in a infrared oven with bacon on top maybe?

• I'm tellin' ya.  Grind it up and mix it with ground beef.  I do 30% liver and you don't even taste it.    I make meatballs and burgers out of it.  You could add a little liver everytime you use ground beef.  You could grind up some other organs in there too and get wild.  

I was actually just wondering what a good ratio would be.  Thanks!

• Yes that sounds great but 99% of people don't own a meat grinder

• You could food process it and mix it with ground beef.  You could even soak it first.