Liver Recipes?

Comments

• You could food process it and mix it with ground beef.  You could even soak it first.

I tried this and in a food processor, liver comes out like a pile of slime.  This method was still better for mixing with ground beef then chopping it small and trying to mix it, though.

• I tried this and in a food processor, liver comes out like a pile of slime.  This method was still better for mixing with ground beef then chopping it small and trying to mix it, though.

Yeah it actually ends up pretty slimy with a meat grinder too.  I recently mixed up a batch of ground meat thats 1 part ground liver, 1 part sausage, 2 parts regular ground beef, and a bunch of herbs and spices and made a bunch of burgers out of it.  They don't hold together quite as well as regular burgers because of the sliminess but It's pretty tasty with only a slight hint of liver weirdness.  I just pull a couple frozen ones out and give them about 15 minutes in the halogen oven.  

• I had a go making it yesterday and it didn't go too badly. Here is a rough account of the recipie FYI

1kg ground beef

700 g liver

1kg (more like 800g after i removed all the crap ones) green beans

70g butter (somewhere between 50-100g, i was winging this thing)

2 tablespoons oregano, dried

2 tablespoons of fresh thyme

2 tablespoons of salt (it came out a bit on the salty side..you may want to do a small amount then add to taste)

2 leeks

1 bunch parsley

1. chop beans and leek (finely) and cook for around 10 mins with a little water

2. Chop up liver finely, add with ground beef and butter,

3. add oregano, thyme, parsley and salt

4. stir around for a little on low heat until everything stops being red (around 10 mins again)

voila! It tasted like liver in parts but the herbs and beef really tone it down. I'm sure if I could be bothered spending more time chopping it would have improved it more but I worked 12 hrs yesterday and I was pretty over it!

I think this is relatively BP but if anyone wants to BPafy it even more please do! My ratio's of veggies to meat etc. were purely determined by what we had.

It passed the boyfriend who only eats for taste and doesn't give a shit about BP test so it must not have been that bad!

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

I had a go making it yesterday and it didn't go too badly. Here is a rough account of the recipie FYI

1kg ground beef

700 g liver

2 tablespoons of salt (it came out a bit on the salty side..you may want to do a small amount then add to taste)

2 leeks

1 bunch parsley

4. stir around for a little on low heat until everything stops being red (around 10 mins again)

voila! It tasted like liver in parts but the herbs and beef really tone it down. I'm sure if I could be bothered spending more time chopping it would have improved it more but I worked 12 hrs yesterday and I was pretty over it!

I think this is relatively BP but if anyone wants to BPafy it even more please do! My ratio's of veggies to meat etc. were purely determined by what we had.

It passed the boyfriend who only eats for taste and doesn't give a shit about BP test so it must not have been that bad!

Simply ditch the beans and add in other 'green-zone' veggies. Otherwise it's great! It's a shitload of protein though, I hope you guys didn't clean up almost a kilo of meat each! haha

No sorcery, just science. 

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Can you make liver jerky?
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • is it that important to eat liver that it can't be substituted with something else?no other organ meats carry the same nutrients?

• I had a go making it yesterday and it didn't go too badly. Here is a rough account of the recipie FYI

1kg ground beef

700 g liver

2 leeks

1 bunch parsley

Simply ditch the beans and add in other 'green-zone' veggies. Otherwise it's great! It's a shitload of protein though, I hope you guys didn't clean up almost a kilo of meat each! haha

haha no we aren't that awesome - just cookin for a few days. also tried a lamb shoulder and cabbage stew the other day with bay leaves and oregano and it worked a treat as well. 

• bigduckkbigduckk MyFitnessPal- craigmac1991

If chicken livers are fine (which I am assuming they are) a chicken liver parfait is one of the nicest things you can eat it's pretty easy to make.

equal parts chicken liver and butter (500g is most common size for liver to be sold)

3 egg yolks

if you want you could reduce some white port down to a syrup to give it more flavour.

Prepare livers (easy enough, if it's stringy cut it out), put in blender with egg yolks (and reduced port if you want) then blend until smooth. Melt the butter and add to liver and eggs slowly until it is completely incorporated. Pass mixture through a sieve, pour into ramekins and cook in a bain-marie until the core reaches 62 degrees C (or until it slightly wobbles if you have no thermometer). Leave to cool then put in fridge over night. Super rich and really tasty pate.

• What does "properly cleaning" it involve?  

And can anyone comment on soaking v. not soaking before cooking, what to soak it in (vinegar, water, milk?), and how long to soak for?

Just bought some from my local farmer for the first time on a whim and am honestly a bit nervous to try it...

• Again I have been trying to incorporate liver into my dinners in various ways: 

Sweet potato, bacon, lamb and liver "lasagna". I called it lasagna because lasagna has layers of things as well, and I don't know the words of other dishes that come in layers. 

Note that there is a distinct lack of butter/fats in this. I am on my refeed day during RFLP and to tell the truth I would like to avoid butter today. hahaha. I'm not sure if the photo is very appealing or not. Most of the colours used are or are close to brown. Maybe I should have photoshopped it better. 

Lomogram_2013-07-27_07-57-51-PM_zps31a50

1-2 sweet potatoes (depending on size. I'd say around 200 - 300g in total)

1 leek

250-300g lamb "steaks" (when I bought my lamb there were no descriptions of the parts so I don't know what I used. Better to get something without bones however) 

150-200g bacon 

250g lamb liver

salt to taste (at least 1tsp) 

rosemary 

1. chop sweet potatoes into chunks (around 2x2cm, you can make them smaller if you like to chop things more). Cook them until soft (I boiled them, I suppose you could also steam them) 

2. in a baking dish (you may want to coat dish in a little butter to prevent sticking), put potatoes. Mash them up and mix 1tsp of salt in (you may very well want to add more). 

3. Finely slice leek and place on top of potatoes. 

4. Place lamb steaks on top of leeks. Sprinkle rosemary on top. 

5. In a separate pot, put some liver in some water and gently simmer for around 5 mins. Take out, finely slice and layer on top of lamb. 

6. Layer bacon on top of liver. 

7. Put in oven which has been set to around 170 deg C. 

Bake for around 1.3 hours. This can depend on oven quality - so I advise to check every 30 mins on progress. When everything is cooked through then you are done. 

• Pierre EklundPierre Eklund pierre.eklund@gmail.com

What does "properly cleaning" it involve?

And can anyone comment on soaking v. not soaking before cooking, what to soak it in (vinegar, water, milk?), and how long to soak for?

Just bought some from my local farmer for the first time on a whim and am honestly a bit nervous to try it...

Some recommend draining the blood as much as you can.
    Please email me instead of PM

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
  • Once a week, I grind down 4 oz of thawed grass-fed liver and chug it with water. I cannot stand to drag out the experience. I believe eating it raw allows for maximum benefit. I also have about 30 raw pastured egg yolks a week.

• 3 dessicated liver tabs and 8 oz of water

• liver is so good... for you. i chop it up into pieces small enough for me to swallow and freeze them. i wash down a half pound throughout the week with some water right before eating something delicious. the burps always come through though haha although its way better than having it caress my tastebuds.

I made liver jerky the other week for the first time, needed a little more salt and more time in the dehydrator.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Blend some raw liver into some raw eggs and down it. Your burps never tasted so bad!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

I eat mine with fava beans and a nice Chianti / big Amarone haha! :D (Now, who doesn't remember this?)

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I know Dave swallows frozen liver bites as if he were taking pills- but.... a frozen chunk of unchewed dense animal gland does not sound very easy to digest! Definitely not optimal. I wonder how well that's really breaking down for Dave? 

I'm about to try and prepare some. Gonna cook it in some hodgepodge of what has been described here. Me = afraid. 

• I think putting it in curry would make it much easier to eat if you don't like liver. I haven't tried this yet.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Won't anyone try my idea of liver jerky? Really it's good(ish), just use lots of himilayan salt and dehydrate it longer than you think is right.

• Won't anyone try my idea of liver jerky? Really it's good(ish), just use lots of himilayan salt and dehydrate it longer than you think is right.

I would try it, but my husband might seriously rebel at the idea of having his smoker, which is used for salmon, commandeered for use with liver!

Mary

• I eat mine with fava beans and a nice Chianti haha! :D (Now, who doesn't remember this?)

Maybe I need to host a "Silence of the Lambs" theme party.  No one but me and the dog will eat our grassfed liver.  I have found that liver meatballs make excellent pill pockets for Kia, who is on anti-biotics again for re-opening the hotspot on her front paw.  We share:  two meatballs for me, one for her.

Mary

• GarrettGarrett
    edited April 2014

I usually prep up liver on a very low heat (setting low or 1, up to 2 of settings Low + 1 - 5 + Hi) w/ ample butter, in the frying pan. I definitely make sure to keep the heat as low as possible, to preserve the nutrients in the liver. :D

I might try Jason's jerky idea... but other people in the house use the deyhydrator for fruit, so I'm not sure how jazzed they'd be with me using it for meat. I have done the pieces thing... if a person does it in small amounts, then swallows it down, it wouldn't be AS good for you as chewing it, would it? Since there's no mastication beforehand. 

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

I've got some Lamb's Liver for tonights meal. Never had it before, so gonna pan fry it in coconut oil and see what it taste like. Got 0.2kg, so be interesting what's it's like. Gonna man up and eat it all no matter if I like it or not. We'll see if I have it again.

Looks like the internet's saying cook in butter. I though heating butter made it less bulletproof. 

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• *glances at his Bulletproof Coffee*

I've got some Lamb's Liver for tonights meal. Never had it before, so gonna pan fry it in coconut oil and see what it taste like. Got 0.2kg, so be interesting what's it's like. Gonna man up and eat it all no matter if I like it or not. We'll see if I have it again.

Looks like the internet's saying cook in butter. I though heating butter made it less bulletproof. 

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Cooking is different to heating or melting! I'm guessing it doesn't get hot enough to worry about.

Anyway, 7oz of liver inside me now. Taste ok, can eat it straight outta the pan. Not too bad. Think I'll be eating it weekly if I can find a reliable source. Got the test piece from waitrose cut fresh, so have ono idea where is came from. Have to talk to the local butcher next weekend.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• I eat horse liver...

• I love how this thread is growing!  I made another batch of liver meatballs just to gross out my husband :)

Mary

• I ended up pan-frying it on a VERY low flame for a couple minutes each side after soaking (thinly sliced) in a little white wine, then in half and half. Not very BP soaking but I'm thinking this is LIVER we are talking about, so, baby steps are fine... I also used chopped onion (no leeks available) and was astonished when the final result tasted nice! I ate it with a side of Dave's broccoli soup and felt pretty grand.