Liver Recipes?

Comments

• I still feel that simplicity is best. Butter + low heat pan + liver :-) Besides raw, you can't get much more Bulletproof than that, right? :-P

Kato: I do occasional raw garlic cloves (they seem to work well with my body.. it aappears to like garlic), tho i've stayed away from onions. Basically no draw to em, at this point. They could be fine... but do you really want to chance 'fine' on something as amazing as grassfed liver? ;-)
  • man, i love liver

it's so mushy and soft

tastes like liver

so good

ate it yesterday

i stir fry it and eat with spinach and butter :D

• http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/08/recipe-liver-pate.html

looks like a good recipe (except it sits in the refrigerator for several days=probably not BP)

I love that she puts it on cukes.

Also this looks fabulous for chicken livers (minus the bread)

http://offalgood.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BG_Tuscan-Style-Chicken-Livers.pdf

• Sorry to double post but found this excellent website, and if I remember correctly, wasn't Chris Kessler a guest on Dave's podcast? Hmmmm

http://chriskresser.com/how-to-eat-more-organ-meats

• Holy smokes, I just had an awesome breakfast. Used about 1/2 lb of (Alder Springs Ranch) liver blended in the food processor with about 1/3lb homemade pastured sausage with about 3 tbsp of thyme. I sauteed onions in cocnut oil on low heat and cooked the mixture with liver and sausage the same. Topped with an egg sunnyside up and some extra sea salt! Super good. It did have a "liver-y" taste but in a good way.

I have not had liver and onions since I was a kid and my mom forced me to eat it so I am pleasantly surprised. If I would have had some ground beef defrosted I would have added some of that too. And maybe some mushrooms for flavor. Now that I know I can stomach it--I can play around with the ingredients and ratios.

• I just made kidney for the first time ever.

Chop kidney up into bite-sized pieces. Then throw it into a pan w/ butter, on a low heat. Gently saute up the kidney (I keep the heat at quite a low point) ..... mmmmmmmmm mmmm mmmmmmm!!! DELICIOUS!!!

• @Garrett did you soak them first, and was there any residual urine smaell/taste?

I regularly eat heart and liver, but have been a bit hesitant about kidney

• @Garrett...and did the butter remind you of urine while you were eating? haha

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Need to get down the butchers now my fights done with. Been told he can only order 6 brains, so looking like Kidney and heart to start with a bit of liver.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Need to get down the butchers now my fights done with. Been told he can only order 6 brains, so looking like Kidney and heart to start with a bit of liver.

You're a special kinda guy when you willing to eat animal brains for the nutrient value  :-P

• To all who asked - I did not soak the kidneys. I also did not notice any urine taste.

That said, next time, I think I may soak the kidneys. Just to see if there's any difference in taste/texture/etc. It was kinda last minute preparation, last night :P

Package -> chopped -> pan.

• Thanks Garrett. I have just placed an order for Kidney with my butcher and look forward to trying them.

• Np!! I finished it off earlier. Very excited to get more! :D

Also, the site that I checked out kidney recipes on had never mentioned soaking the kidneys; so I didn't.

If you'd like to run the test... since you'll probably get 2 kidneys... soak 1, and use the other unsoaked. Or soak most of it, and have 1/4th part (or so) unsoaked. Then you can see if there's any taste/smell/whatnot difference between soaked & unsoaked :)

Thanks Garrett. I have just placed an order for Kidney with my butcher and look forward to trying them.

• Hey guys!

First time poster here (woo excited!)

Soooo lastnight I made some MAGNIFICENT grass fed beef liver.. I guess you could say it went OK since I ate 1/2lb lastnight for dinner… and 1/2lb this morning for breakfast. It's not epicly BP since the onions and garlic powder are in the yellow area of the BP scale but hey it's not like this is something you'd make all the time amiright?!

Here are the ingredients I used:

1 lb sliced Grass Fed Beef Liver (fresh or defrosted)

2 cups of Organic Milk (I used some left over organic whipping cream by Avalon)

2 clean, non-moldy sweet onions (size:medium to large)

1/2-3/4 cup Coconut Flour

3 tablespoons of Butter (MAYBE MORE!? I use organic meadows since Kerrygold isn’t obtainable in Vancouver, BC)

3 tablespoons MCT oil

Himalayan Pink Salt (as much as you want)

1 tblsp Marjoram

1 tsp ground cayenne pepper and garlic powder (optional)

Here's what I did:

1. Place your sliced GF beef liver in a bowl and gently rinse it with water. Drain and cover with the 2 cups of organic milk (use more/less but make sure the liver's fully submerged). Let the liver steep for about 1 hr (see #1. in pic below).

2. While your waiting for the milk to work it's magic - take those clean onions and slice them so they look like rings. In a pan on medium/low heat melt 1 tblsp of butter. Add those sliced onions! (see #2. in pic below).

3. Cook the onions until they're soft (mine took 7-8 mins) Once they're soft remove them from the pan and set them aside in a dish. (see #3. in pic below). Turn off that element unless you’re ready to cook the liver (save power bro).

4. Take your coconut flour and put it on a plate/flatish bowl. Sprinkle in your spices (Himalayan pink salt, marjoram, cayenne pepper and garlic powder) and mix with a fork. Set aside until your liver is done steeping.

5. Once your 1hr is up, drain all the milk from the bowl with the liver(see #4. in pic below). Gently rinse with water and get ready to use that coconut flour mixture.

Cooking with MCT oil:

6a.  Heat up your pan to medium/low heat and add 2 tablespoons of MCT oil.

7a. Gently pick up those liver slices and coat both sides with your coconut flour mixture. (see #5. in pic below)

8a. Add them to your pan; cook on medium/low heat for 5-7 minutes (or until golden brown) and turn over – cook for another 5-7 minutes (see #6a in pic below).

9a. Once fully golden brown flip over 1 more time and reduce to low heat – put your onions ontop and cook for another 10 minutes. Using a cover is optional. (the main reason for re-adding the onions is to a) heat them up and b) infuse the liver with an onion flavor).

See step 10 below.

Cooking with butter:

6b.  Heat up your pan to medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons of butter.

7b.  Gently pick up those liver slices and coat both sides with your coconut flour mixture. (see #5. in pic below).

8b. Once the butter is melted add the coconut floured livers and cook on medium/low heat for 5-7 minutes (or until the bottom is golden brown) and turn over – cook for 5-7 minutes again. (see #6b in pic below)

9b. Once fully golden brown flip over 1 more time and reduce to low heat – put your onions ontop and cook for another 10 minutes. Using a cover is optional. (the main reason for re-adding the onions is to a) heat them up and b) infuse the liver with an onion flavor).

10. Remove cooked liver(see #7 in pic below) and place on plate – cover with onions. Drizzle onions with 1-3 tablespoons of MCT and a dash of Himalayan pink salt and SERVEEEEEEEEE! Or you can do what I did and just start eating it.. (see #8 in pic below).

I cooked the left over coconut flour with some butter and cooked onions on medium/low heat for 15 minutes - it was delish.

2mnp5ef.png

Yea I'm not gonna lie - some of those pics are definitely not food p0rn quality but you get the idea!

Even though not all of the ingredients are in the green scale of the BP guidelines I had so much energy and mental clarity after eating this.. I ended up running errands for 45 mins and experiencing a major flow state from 6pm-3am; got SO much work done!

Any suggestions to make this recipe more BP are very much encouraged!!

BTW - If you’re in Vancouver, BC and know a place where I can get GF butter for less than $14/lb please PM me!!

Cheers,

Delta

• I can get you in touch with someone in Van who regularly goes to the USA and picks up Kerrygold butter. And it's ~$8-9'ish / lb. Or possibly less. Somewhere in that range.

BTW - If you’re in Vancouver, BC and know a place where I can get GF butter for less than $14/lb please PM me!!

Cheers,

Delta

• We just prepared and ate lamb kidneys for the first time tonight. My husband marinated them in 2 different sauces (one like a tandoori sauce and one pepper sauce). Then skewered and grilled them. Texture and flavor were great; there was just a bit of a fibrous piece to each one toward the middle of the kidney. I could see some people taking issue with that as it reminds you it's not muscle. But no real organ flavor. He made 2 dipping sauces. One was a charred green onion sauce and cilantro pistachio remoulade. I also tried a coconut curry sauce just bc we had some in the fridge. It was all pretty good. The marinades and sauces weren't BP but definitely paleo and it was fun to try it several different ways.
  • this thread is both terrifying and inspiring (thanks kato, for giving me some hope!). i am going to dive into the wonderful world of liver for the first time today. i have vague memories of liver pate when i was a kid, but am not sure if i liked it or not. i'm going to give liver a full try - none of these fancy schmancy recipes, just choppin it up, cooking it in a skillet, and mixin it with some veggies. 

whats this stuff about "properly cleaned" liver? is that just draining the blood and rinsing it in water? or should i scrub it with some dr. bronners in the shower and throw it in the dishwasher?

whats a good amount to eat, and how long does it keep? i have a 1lb package that i thawed in my fridge last night. i usually have 1/3rd lb of beef at a time, if i cook up 1/3rd of this, then cook the other 2/3rds over the next couple days will it still be good?

• uh, yeah i can't say i'd recommend the "just cook it up in a skillet and mix it with your veggies" method.

10346302_10201160280169648_4411432662306

doesn't look bad, but yeah, i mostly had to swallow the little pieces whole.

anyone tried the eggs and coconut flour method mentioned earlier in the thread? 

• This can be a gourmet experience folks.

Recipe for Julia Child's Chicken Liver Mousse. I've made it many times. Yummy!

Other recipes I have bookmarked to try out:

Chicken Liver Mousse

Jacques Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Enjoy your liver.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

I think the Jacques Pepin one is  the easiest to bulletproof, 3 sticks of butter to 1lb of liver, I think we have a winner!

This can be a gourmet experience folks.

Recipe for Julia Child's Chicken Liver Mousse. I've made it many times. Yummy!

Other recipes I have bookmarked to try out:

Chicken Liver Mousse

Jacques Pepin's Chicken Liver Pate

Enjoy your liver.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • NickatNickat
    edited June 2014

Winner winner liver dinner but don`t recomend cooking with MCT oil Delta.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

It tastes wonderful.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• NickatNickat
    edited June 2014

It tastes wonderful.

It`s not that. I`d resist cooking at a low/medium heat for several minutes.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3573-cooking-with-mct-oil/

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

It`s not that. I`d resist cooking at a low/medium heat for several minutes.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3573-cooking-with-mct-oil/

Oh I don't doubt that, I was commenting on the pate recipe above. :grin: Should have quoted it but sometimes I just don't quote.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• dunno if this has already been done cba to read thru six pages right now. Im cooking liver right now with GF lambs steaks i chopped the lot up put in a pan with boiling water on lowest heat with  rosemary, bay leaf, pink salt, pepper and mustard powder. Will be leaving for about a hour, if i had a slow cooker id of done it in advance. I will be adding gf butter and gravy granules later (sue me haha) id rather be 50st then deny myself the odd bit of gravy. Ill be serving it on sweet potato mash and brussells mmmm if you wanted to make it mega rich beef gravy n bovril works well as does bacon pieces on mash its orgasmic! im interested to know if arrowroot powders bp? its paleo, if it was could whip up yorkshire pudding with it

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Tried heart last week and kidney this week. Taste a lot like liver, so all good. Might switch regularly as organ meat is pretty cheap.

Also found out that the more expensive calves liver is veal liver, thought it was baby lambs! No wonder it's more expensive.

Still looking for a source for brain. No luck so far, but have a couple of places looking to ask the abattoir how easy it is to get the brains back.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• I've found lamb and goat's liver tastes better than beef liver or chicken (nasty).

Add a lot of spices and herbs, leeks/ onions/ garlic, lemon juice and it's fine. I used to have real problems with getting the chicken or beef livers down.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• Make a pate - Terrine de Foies de Volaille (French style) - so good!

Do only what you really want to do.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/02/505050-burgers.html

I just made that without the bacon. I added some more ground beef instead.

after cooking I added salt and some spices on top of it. and I made some bulletproof may and some pale coleslaw. :cool:

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• ggvggv

I don't have a food processor or a lot of time and I hate liver. But I started doing it this way and now I really enjoy it.

The trick seems to be cooking liver for a long time on low heat sounded by something else to soak up the flavor. The result is a hearty all around beef flavor to the whole dish and a regular beef flavor to the liver itself. (Instead of that cow poo flavor)

The easiest way I like to do this is cut the liver up into little pieces right away and freeze it by itself or stuff it into a hamburger patty and freeze it so that it doesn't have any time to mature (no need for that jazz).

Then the night before or first thing in the morning on the day you want to eat it

• plop that frozen liver in a Crock-Pot
    • surround it with grass-fed bone broth (They sell frozen bags of this at Whole Foods if you don't have time to make it)
    • add organic sweet potatoes, carrots, onions or some combination you like (They sell frozen bags of this at Whole Foods)
    • add lots of salt and organic Italian seasoning or orgeano
    • cook all day on low heat
    • serve for dinner (excellent source of bulletproof fat, protein, carbs, and lots of vitamin A plus other good stuff)

Alternatively if you forget in the morning or you don't feel like doing any work, just pull out one of those hamburgers you stuffed with liver and froze ages ago, (It's still fresh!),

• cover in sea salt and organic Italian seasoning or oregano
    • put it in the oven and cook it at a low temp like 300 for an hour.

If you cook it long enough without disturbing it, the hamburger meat soaks up the liver flavor and everything just gets a nice hearty beef flavor like the stew but even easier.