Electronic Cigarettes ('e Cigs')

WOW what potential this area has!!  The FDA wants their mitts on this but it just isn't panning out like that!!  

I hesitated to mention this several weeks back, upon realization of the implications of this market, because i had every intention of getting into distribution myself (or production, as I have some novel engineering ideas for these little gizmos!), but at this point I think i'd rather be an unofficial lobbyist/sales rep for the industry than sell them (you cannot really do both... see, these items cannot, in any way/shape/form, be sold in the US as having anything to do with smoking cessation.  Our country keeps the Nicorette Inhalers as a precription-only item, but the electronic cig / ecig / personal vaporizor movement is negating the FDA's "nicotine replacement therapy inhaler" medical device product-class.  You cannot really endorse these things as they deserve and sell them, or you'll shoot yourself in the foot.  I'd rather evangelize, because these things truly have the potential/likelihood to be a health revolution of sorts (and will likely devastate big tobacco)

Would love to hear ppl's thoughts on this stuff, i mean even for ppl who don't personally have smoking-demons or have ppl close to them w/ such problems, these products are just bad-ass delivery systems in general (most are unaware that nicotine itself is both ergogenic and, in terms of safety, on-par with caffeine.  Burning/combusting tobacco, to get nicotine, is quite obviously terrible for you.  Consuming a safe dose of pure nicotine is completely fine (whether a patch, gum or inhaled vapors), and is actually an ergogenic)

Right now most gas stations have $7-10 disposable units (that you can get for $3/unit if buying by the thousands), and most of the refillable kits are on the order of 30-100$ (at which point the person spends half what they would have on cigarettes).

I have to say i'm very shocked that Blu or Njoy, two industry leaders, aren't trying to expand too aggressively (although njoy did run television ads of people vaping, and while the FDA tried to stop this under the pretense of 'no cigarette ads', the courts didn't agree with them ;P

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

Are you thinking about investing? Buying and selling electronic cigs ?

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions Consultwithrod@live.com 

• edited March 2013

I had been for a little bit, but two things that made it less-than-ideal were:

1 ) I'd rather 'unofficially lobby' for them than sell them, and doing both simultaneously isn't a good idea at all (NOT for reasons of bias, but for legal reasons a la the FDA; if you're selling these, they are nicotine delivery, NOT cigarette cessation or nicotine-dependency products, as that makes them medical devices and no longer the same simple rules as you can currently sell them as; they become the same category as Nicorette inhalers.  I don't want to have to bite my tongue in this regard, and watch that i'm not saying something about how invaluable these will prove in fighting tobacco-smoking, while 'promoting' my products, and thus screw myself..)

2) IMO, the real profit potential to be had here is as 'last mover' position.  These will be a big commodity for a long time, and the smart move now really isn't just dropping $3k to get back 4.5 by wholesaling units to local spots, but rather to go big and position as the marlboro of the industry, and ensure your place in the market as it's just starting to explode (fwiw, i keep an eye on these more than just uninterested outsider, as I use these devices pretty routinely.  In just the past few weeks i've noted TWO places i frequent began carrying cheap disposable ones, and one of the places i frequent that used to carry disposables, now has a little plexi-case with the rechargable/fillable units; now is the time to ignore yrs1-3 costs and just setup relative-position amongst the main competitors (this needs to be done, the industry-leaders atm are not pushing envelopes or differentiating nearly as much as they can/should be.  These only really got any real measure of public adoption in the past few years, now is w/o a doubt the 'beginning'/ground-floor in an industry w/ a massive built-in demographic that is, quite literally, addicted to your product)

• I recently had a strike of inspiration regarding these. 

Looking at whats out there I felt unsure about the contents, but I do enjoy the Blu cigs, quit smoking recently. 

Anyhow my inspiration was first to know what the uber ingredient stack is. I thought perhaps there are some nutrients & compounds that are especially suited to lung absorption, couple that with an advanced vapor base mix & one could transmute these ecigs into something quite interesting.  At the moment I dont use the e-cig too much, i've taken to smoking & vaping organic herbs to ease quitting cigarettes with less nicotine & mystery-goo vapors :)

Did you find out anymore interesting info in your search?

• edited October 2013

I've been vaping for about two years and i don't want to go back to smoking classic cigarettes. now I even can't stand the smell of smoke. In my country papierosy elektroniczne ( tht's how we'rew calling e-cigarettes in polish) are more and more popular, maybe tht's why i'm so entusiastic.