Concern Regarding Earthing Mat

Here's the story:

3 weeks ago, I purchased a earthing mat from your sister site. When I received it, I first started to wonder if my room's ground was safe. I also read on some earthing website that we can measure body voltage and that anything over 1.0 volt is considered extremely high, so I got a multimeter and tested for body voltage (AC) in my apartment. The results I got are really disturbing:

0.2 to 1.3 volts in the kitchen and living room. I then aimed for the bedroom and my body voltage spiked to 33 volts while entering the room. I couldn't believe that. I tried different grounds from my apartment and I also plugged one end of my multimeter in the sink while water was running to make sure the ground in my apartment was ok. I get the same results no matter where I plug the multimeter. Then, I mapped my body voltage in my apartment to check for a source. The bedroom is between 2.5 and 33 volts, highest when I stand in the door frame. While lying on the bed, I get from 5 to 12 volts depending on my position. All these numbers in the bedroom go down by only about 2 volts if I shut down the electricity by removing the breaker, so I suspect it has to come from the electrical wires of my neighbor.

With so high body voltages in my apartment, wouldn't it be dangerous to use a earthing mat? I read on this website that earthing mat can make things better or worse, and that it is dangerous if used in high voltage environments, because the human body could serve as an antenna and absorb the EMF.

I'm also thinking about moving to another apartment since these numbers are pretty scary. What's your take on this?

Thanks,

Makiavel
Tagged:

Comments

• It is my understanding that earthing protects us from emf - but I don't know enough to answer your questions. Just wish you good luck! My earthing throw has improved my quality of sleep. I find it gives me a sense of connection to the earth even image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • There must be an electrical problem. You should try the option of running a cord out the window and using the probe attachment directly in the earth.

I've been using the mat for a few days for sleep and I like it. I don't feel anything at all when I touch it, but I have been waking up more well-rested.
  • be sure to touch yourself to ground first before taking the measurement too briefly discharge any static built up on you.
  • It is my understanding that earthing protects us from emf - but I don't know enough to answer your questions. Just wish you good luck! My earthing throw has improved my quality of sleep. I find it gives me a sense of connection to the earth even :)

Which earthing throw do you have? Would you recommend it?

• Makiavel, I don't understand the mechanics of why using grounding products that are plugged into an electrical outlet can be dangerous, but from my experience and from what I've heard from citizen scientists I trust, I'm sure it's a potentially very dangerous practice unless a person really knows what they're doing with testing emf & voltages.

Myself, I am a grounding HORROR STORY.  I slept really well with grounding sheets for the first couple of weeks, albeit with a couple disrupted nights that I figured were flukes.

Then a few weeks into it, we had a really bad rain storm and cold air front come through, and I magically developed crippling pain in both knees and left hip pain (arthritis?) overnight, and that week I missed my period for the first time in my life.  I'm only 33 and very regular.  Zero chance of pregnancy.  I was taking much better care of myself in recent history, meditating, exercising a bit, sleeping more, and the only other thing I'd changed was the addition of those grounding sheets. 

A couple of weeks of grounding sheets leading to arthritis and a skipped period/disrupted fertility? That is f*cking scary!

• I've been grounded for like 2 month straight, prob 40% of the 24hr cycle. I did notice some strange heart palpitations the other day so I may give it a break. Will report back.

• Here's the story:

3 weeks ago, I purchased a earthing mat from your sister site. When I received it, I first started to wonder if my room's ground was safe. I also read on some earthing website that we can measure body voltage and that anything over 1.0 volt is considered extremely high, so I got a multimeter and tested for body voltage (AC) in my apartment. The results I got are really disturbing:

0.2 to 1.3 volts in the kitchen and living room. I then aimed for the bedroom and my body voltage spiked to 33 volts while entering the room. I couldn't believe that. I tried different grounds from my apartment and I also plugged one end of my multimeter in the sink while water was running to make sure the ground in my apartment was ok. I get the same results no matter where I plug the multimeter. Then, I mapped my body voltage in my apartment to check for a source. The bedroom is between 2.5 and 33 volts, highest when I stand in the door frame. While lying on the bed, I get from 5 to 12 volts depending on my position. All these numbers in the bedroom go down by only about 2 volts if I shut down the electricity by removing the breaker, so I suspect it has to come from the electrical wires of my neighbor.

With so high body voltages in my apartment, wouldn't it be dangerous to use a earthing mat? I read on this website that earthing mat can make things better or worse, and that it is dangerous if used in high voltage environments, because the human body could serve as an antenna and absorb the EMF.

I'm also thinking about moving to another apartment since these numbers are pretty scary. What's your take on this?

Thanks,

Makiavel

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to to bring up a possible issue. First off, I have no technical knowledge in the field of electrical engineering so my understanding of even the fundamental electrical principles is limited. 

When the OP switches off the electrical supply at the circuit breaker, how does one distinguish the EMF coming from the voltmeter and that from maybe nearby power-lines?

• Just to give some more data points... I measured 4 volts when surrounded by 2 PCs and a wi-fi router, 34 volts with a laptop (plugged in) on my lap, and 0.148 volts while outside in rubber boots.  When I simply held the end of the laptop's power cord in my hand, I also measured 34 volts.  The power cord was plugged into the wall, and the other end held in my hand, not attached to the laptop.  When I had my plugged in iPhone in my hand, my body measured around 20 volts.  At my office, I measured around 2 or 3 volts.

• UNSAFE!! I have recently discovered "earthing mats" and after researching the concept, as an electrician, I am concerned. This is what I have found:
    First, a DVM measures electrical potential between two points. I am seeing all these videos of people holding one lead and measuring to the ground of the electrical system. This will give you a reading of the "potential" between you and ground. Then as a test to show the mat is "working" you step/lay/touch the mat with a second part of your body while holding the other lead. By doing this, you are closing the circuit through your body, creating a path of lesser resistance to the meter and the DVM displays a lesser potential.
    TRY THIS: eliminate the mat from the equation. Set your DVM voltage AC and hold one lead in each hand...what happens? Are you reading somewhere around zero volts? Yes, because there is little to no potential. Holding one lead and standing on the mat is in fact the same as touching both leads together.
    THIS IS WHERE IT GETS DANGEROUS!
    You are creating the path of least resistance when you drive a rod into the earth and attach a conductive "receiver" to the other end. You will have a smaller reading on your DVM because there is less potential in regards to ground. In some cases, plugging straight into electrical ground. Of course your DVM will have a smaller reading because you have created a path to ground with less resistance. The whole concept of Earthing is to absorb negative ions from the earth, not create a path for electrons to flow to ground.
    What you are doing by using these mats is becoming an antenna for the EMFs in your home/work to TRAVEL THROUGH YOUR BODY AND ORGANS to ground. The test people are doing to "prove it works" is non-sense and doing this can, in no way, be beneficial to your health. I tried it for maybe ten minutes and started to develop an odd feeling headache. The only way I see "Earthing" to be beneficial is to get away from EMFs and be outside away from potential hazards.
    I hope this makes sense and you people will do a little more research on how electricity behaves and become familiar with your tools (DVM) before acting like you know what is going on electrically.
    This is scary to me. It makes more sense to INSULATE your body and place the electronics on the mats instead of turning your body into a giant antenna.

• brdyer22,makes sense.I know almost nothing about electrics,and have recently heard about earthing.I also have seen videos on you tube of people holding a voltage meter and stepping onto their ground mat and the flashing lights stops.Sometimes knowing nothing about a subject allows you to see the obvious,as i thought "hmm ,must all be running through his body to ground,know idea if thats a good thing or bad thing"I think brder22 is correct in saying stay away from electrics,grounding yourself doesnt eliminate them,just allows them to run through you to ground.However,i do think the concept is important to have contact with the negative electrons from the earth,that does make sense.
    My first thoughts on seeing these grounding mats where "too simple for such a complicated area,and by complicated i mean people like me who dont understand electricity and all the houshold electrics,microwaves,wi fi,cell phone etc etc,a plug in bed sheet seems too simple to solve all this.I did try sleeping grounded via a rod to earth for a couple of nights,im normally a good sleeper anyway but must say i didnt sleep well,kept waking up,heart beating faster.That said i have a polytunnel where i do a lot of potting plants,and i have taken to working barefoot in the tunnel and this does have a good efect(though im always calm and relaxed in there).I will continue with my barefoot polytunnel work,but im not convinced on the bed mats.Need to keep researching and keep an open mind.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file