Soy Lecithin

Non GMO soy Lecithin is on the far left side of the oils and fats bulletproof diet chart. So why should I eat that, how do I use it and how much do I take?

Comments

• Anybody? I'm thinking he just put it on that list so nobody would freak out when they saw it on the ingredients of BP whey.
  • Dave mentioned a biohack in one of his podcasts where he ate soy lecithin over a period of time...end result was that he experienced no ill effects. He also mentioned that he would prefer sunflower lecithin instead, but that it is not widely available.

Yes, soy lecithin is not ideal, but I honestly believe that Dave wouldn't have put it in his product if it had a tangible negative health consequence.
  • ah. Ya I didnt mean to imply he put something bad in the product and then threw it on the list as being good. I mean some people have reservations about soy products in general so he he included it on the list since its not a bad thing but isn't recommending we supplement with it for any reason.
  • On his landing page (.com/upgraded-whey) they talk about how it's impossible to mix without some form of soy but that the amount they use is so minute that it's basically irrelevant. They also talk about how they're trying to move to sunflower and working with formulations that will make it work.

• On his landing page (.com/upgraded-whey) they talk about how it's impossible to mix without some form of soy but that the amount they use is so minute that it's basically irrelevant. They also talk about how they're trying to move to sunflower and working with formulations that will make it work.

he meant lecithin, not 'soy'. It's an emulsifier so it makes thing blend/dissolve quicker. 'Instantized' BCAA for example has soy lecithin to help things dissolve. It just happens non-GMO soy is widely available and cheap.

The crap in soy that makes soy 'bad' is not at all present in soy lecithin. So I think it's fine.

• The issue is when they spray the whey with soy lecithin to instanise it for better mixability the whey is exposed to light n air which can oxidise the fat content in the whey.

I read a good article on WPI being recommended over WPC due to issues with powdered fat being oxidised & becoming rancid.

WPC contains higher fat content than WPI .

• Non GMO soy Lecithin is on the far left side of the oils and fats bulletproof diet chart. So why should I eat that, how do I use it and how much do I take?

---

It's rich in choline which is important for brain function.  So are raw egg yolks and sunflower lecithin.   

Instead of buying non gmo soy lecithin just drop some egg yolks into your coffee every morning.  

• Anybody? I'm thinking he just put it on that list so nobody would freak out when they saw it on the ingredients of BP whey.

---

I don't see any reference to soy lecithin in his BP Whey ingredient list.  Instead I see colostrum, MCT's and tapioca.  Research each of those and you'll see why those are worthwhile ingredients to include in a protein powder. 

If he did want to sneak in some soy/sunflower lecithin for the choline content I wouldn't find that the slightest bit objectionable.

His products are very high quality and this stuff is not cheap to source.

If you look at the ingredients across the board and you'll see it's consistently well thought out and put together.