Meat Glue, Beware!

There is a new sprouts market that opened up in my area and I was so excited to see that they sell 100% grass fed beef from Uruguay, so I have bought the rib eye steak (no bone) a couple of times and this time something was very fishy. I had seen some time ago a news clip that was talking about how companies and restaurants where gluing lesser cuts of meat to make steaks with a glue called

Transglutaminase. The reason I suspect that the rib eye I purchased may have been glued is because it came apart so easily and it felt like different parts of the meat cooked differently and had a different texture, now I hope to God that I am wrong, but I just cannot eat it any more knowing that in the back of my mind that this could be the case. Here's an article about it if you are interested to learn more. http://www.greenprophet.com/2011/03/meat-glue-frankenstein-mea/

My question is, does anyone living in So Cali know of a reliable place I can buy grass fed lamb and beef? It's so hard to know who you can trust.

I would appreciate any help.
Tagged:

Comments

• I though about it, but how would I know if they are telling me the truth?

Couldn't you just ask them if they make their meats this way?

-Adam
  • I think you're being paranoid image/icon_cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cool:' /> I've heard about the glued steaks. It seems easy to pass off a lean cut like a sirloin or fillet with only slight irregular marbling but I can't see intricately cutting fat and strategically placing them into meat scraps and gluing it together so it looks just like a rib-eye. I'm guessing you got a really tender 3 piece end of rib and the butcher likely clipped some silver skin from the wrong spot causing it to fall apart. I cut and cooked probably 1000's of rib-eyes in my time as a grill man at a steak house and seen them fall apart from time to time.
  • Nickl413 I think you're right, I probably spooked myself out as I am not familiar with eating meat, vegan background.. But it help to hear that from an expert. Thanks image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />