Upset Stomach From Bulletproof Coffee!

Hi everyone,

I have been taking bulletproof coffee for about 4 months now and this last month I have been getting an upset stomach consistently everyday I take it. I am not sure if its the fat or the dairy or something else, but I am curious if any of you have experienced this and what you think it might be. 

My diet hasn't changed much other than a slight increase in my carbohydrate intake. What could be causing an upset stomach?

Comments

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

I have actually been experiencing the same thing. About an hour after coffee my heart starts racing and I feel sick. Could it be that my body is getting better at using MCT oil, and thus a much stronger effect? I added digestive enzymes to no effect, should I perhaps go down to 1 tbsp. MCT oil instead of 2?

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• Same here, I also get these weird headaches but I'm having 3 MCT Tbsps..

I feel like I'm going to faint on these headaches and my eyes want to roll back into my head.

I am going to try non-Bp food for a week and see how I feel..

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Is everyone who is experiencing problems in this thread using the Upgraded beans?

• Hi,

I have been drinking BP coffee every morning now for 5 months and i have no problem:

* BP Coffee beans, grounded, around 24 grams

* 500 ml of water

* 60 grams of butter

* 1 Tbsp Upgraded MCT Oil

• Hi everyone,

I have been taking bulletproof coffee for about 4 months now and this last month I have been getting an upset stomach consistently everyday I take it. I am not sure if its the fat or the dairy or something else, but I am curious if any of you have experienced this and what you think it might be. 

My diet hasn't changed much other than a slight increase in my carbohydrate intake. What could be causing an upset stomach?

One of the side effects of coconut oil is diarrhea, so maybe that's it? But then it's weird that it took so long to set in...

My Fitness and Nutrition Blog: http://JJStrength.com

• I read somewhere that MCT can cause diarrhea.  It could be the same thing in it causing upset stomach for you guys. 

Lately I have experienced acid reflux if I drink the coffee every morning.  When that happens I either skip a day or two, or make bulletproof tea instead.  I like breaking it up frequently too so I don't get too addicted to the coffee.

• I have been experiencing the same; upset stomach, acid reflux, burping, etc. I logged on to this topic to see if there were any recommendations for dealing with it. However, in the interim I have discovered that if I drink my BP coffee in small amounts, like an espresso sized cup every 1/2 hour that the upset stomach and acid reflux is greatly minimized if not eliminated. Before I was drinking all of it at once or in a short time period because it is so damn tasty! It just may have been too much for my system to handle all at once. Let me know if this helps.

• Dial back the oils... lol you may be overdoing it, try black, and ease into 1/2 tablespoon, then the full tablespoon

• edited March 2013

I had a similar issue. The first three days were great then day 4 I woke up in the middle of the night to vomit. This scared me a bit so I skipped the coffee all together for 2 days then tried again. Same thing happened two days in.

At first I thought it was the MCT oil but I cook EVERYTHING in coconut oil so I thought it was the butter. I started making my BP coffee still with the MCT oil but I used coconut milk instead of the butter and sure enough no more vomiting. 

I was only having between 15-20 grams of butter in my coffee too, so very strange. It was westgold new zealand butter. And yes BP upgraded coffee beans brewed in an aeropress.

- Rotary Enthusiast: "Brap brap said the rotary!"

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

It's strange. I've been getting gassy for the past month. I'll start burping about 30min after my coffee goes down.

Yes, upgraded beans. Burr grinded. Upside down aeropress. 13g per press. Two presses. 80-90g butter. 30-40g MCT. BLENDED OFF IT'S TITS, YO!

No sorcery, just science. 

• I have been getting an upset stomach from the start. I have been having it for about 3 weeks now and still the same queasy stomach. I made my own ghee on the weekend and it does taste a bit better. I changed from butter to ghee in the first week as I am lactose intolerant. I have been doing 65g ghee, 1/2 tsp MCT (anymore gives me a sore throat), some 100% cocao. I am thinking of changing to just doing a BP hot chocolate as the coffee leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have never been a big coffee drinker. I am going to order some BP Cocao and Cocoa butter shortly.

• I have a little bit of an upset stomach after I drink it, and my heart races a bit.. but then again, I"m a bit lactose intolerant- and havent really had many milk products in 3 years AND, caffeine bothers me.... but I'm trying to deal with it, hoping I will get used to it

• Well my only advice is don't push yourself too far, It's not worth it. I gave myself two weeks on the BPC and it was still making me sick so I made the decision to unfortunately replace it (I really liked the idea behind it.) Now I either skip breakfast, Or I make scrambled eggs with avocado, MCT oil, cooked in coconut oil and just deal with the possibility of it kicking me out of ketosis.

- Rotary Enthusiast: "Brap brap said the rotary!"

• RodRod The Rodfather

Test yourselves  HCL and digestive enzymes. Just to rule out gut function. All the KG we have been getting is from the off season. We should start comparing batches to reactions. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• plus, I only have (1) cup of coffee versus 2... with only 1 TBSP of butter and MCT oil... can't imagine what my stomach would do with two lol