Chili Beef (Hakka Style)

This is for you Samir :)

Chili beef

Many of my recipies are inspired by restaurant favourites.  This is a Hakka recipie, Hakka being a East Indian and Chinese hybrid of which I have been unable to find a single cookbook.  The real thing would have deep fried battered Chicken use soy sauce and be served on a bed of rice.

This is to be stir fried Chinese style so in water and add it if it's too dry.  Your finished product should be moist and not too dry or the spices will not distribute evenly.

Fry at med high in water about 1 onion, 1 tsp minced garlic and 1 tsp minced ginger.

When the Onion is about cooked add 2 cups of a variety of bite sized chunks ofvegetables.  I like broccoli, Bok choy, kale, cauliflower but anything will do.  

About half way cooked the way you like add 1 tbsp ground coriander, 1 tsp cumin 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/2 tsp tumeric.

When just about done add 2 finely chopped green chilies, 4 tbsp fresh chopped coriander and your ground beef.  Stir it and count off 30 seconds.  Drizzle with the fat of your choice (I'd think 2 tbsp of Ghee would be best) and voila!

If you wanted to make this more bulletproof you could use bone broth instead of water.  Other improvements are to use whole cumin and grind it before making.  Most spices are much better freshly ground and I would think storing in whole form reduces odds of mold/mildew forming also.  On a carb loading day you could have rice with this but generally I make stir fries with all vegetables and no rice.