Cinnamon In Bp Coffee

Has anyone tried cinnamon in their BP coffee. I currently use vanilla to better the taste, but would like to mix it up with cinnamon sometimes too. Seems like it might even be a good thing to use regularly for health benefits as well. No sugars or protein... and it works to moderate insulin response. Looks like a bulletproof addition to me... agree?

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

Comments

• Has anyone tried cinnamon in their BP coffee. I currently use vanilla to better the taste, but would like to mix it up with cinnamon sometimes too. Seems like it might even be a good thing to use regularly for health benefits as well. No sugars or protein... and it works to moderate insulin response. Looks like a bulletproof addition to me... agree?

I've been using it in my BP coffee for taste and I heard that a few other member use it too, so I'm pretty sure it's beneficial in other regards too.

• ive tried it, but I get annoyed that it can't be blended in and you always get a giant mouthful of cinnamon at some point.
  • ive tried it, but I get annoyed that it can't be blended in and you always get a giant mouthful of cinnamon at some point.

Yeah I hate that too. I always use a LOT of cinnamon. I'd say about 30-50% of it gets blended in, the rest collects at the bottom. I usually don't drink that, so it's a bit of a waste.

• edited March 2013

Put the cinnamon in the coffee gorunds! But use in moderation, I don't remember if it was Dave or Chris Kresser but I have heard them mention that too much cinnamon is a bad thing and you do want to be careful about where your cinnamon comes from. I enjoy cinnamon alot but only use it every other day in my coffee.

I am currently using whole Pantry Vietnamese Cinnamon from Whole foods (same price as reg stores). Can anyone comment on this brand or provide any info on purchasing quality cinnamon?

For some reason, saigon cinnamon doesn't do that; try it.  I also mix pumpkin pie spices with the coffee grounds and brew them together.

• Super NinjaSuper Ninja Master of Stealth
    I also put the cinnamon with the coffee grounds. That way you get the cinnamon flavour without clumps of it swimming around. I also add vanilla powder and cacao butter in mine. Awesome combo.

Everything' better with butter...and bacon!

• I've put cinnamon in my coffee for a while, ever since I read that it helps to stabilize blood sugar/insulin.  The tastiness factor does help a lot too!  I just try to keep it shaken up, especially near the end of the coffee.

• This article discusses the various kinds of cinnamon and which one is best for health benefits:

http://www.pbrc.edu/division-of-education/pdf/pns/PNS_Cinnamon.pdf

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

just read the section in 4HB on Cinamon and it refers to the 3 different types. Thinking I'm using the least effect kind due to the colour stated. Sounds like you're better getting the stick and grinding your own than using the powder. I have a bit every day, either in my porridge once a week or in my protein shake in the evenings.

Gonna be looking into it a little deeper now since reading the 4HB.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• I put cinnamon in my coffee every once in a while because I enjoy the taste.

I don't really think about it too much. If I want cinnamon, a put it in. There's a scientific answer for ya :).

Jake

My Fitness and Nutrition Blog: http://JJStrength.com

• This article discusses the various kinds of cinnamon and which one is best for health benefits:

http://www.pbrc.edu/division-of-education/pdf/pns/PNS_Cinnamon.pdf

Interesting how that article says that cassia is superior. I've seen people here say otherwise.

Also, I've been putting my cinnamon in my coffee grinds for a week now. Very effective.

• I've been using the "Cinnamon (Sweet) Sticks"

From mountain rose herbs:  http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/c.html

I just break up two sticks in the french press along with coffee grounds.  The taste and quality is phenomenal. 

cinnamon_sticks_sweet.jpg

I'm interested in the relation between cinnamon and insulin and I wonder if it's a beneficial addition to bpcoffee for more than just taste?  How about cycling it with vanilla?  What do you guys think?  

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I use a sprinkle of vanilla on every BPC. might try a bit on cinnamon. put it in before, but not on top.

Isn't cinnamon good for stabilising insulin levels. Not sure what it does if you've no carbs!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• edited July 2013

Hey Ajboskamp,

Using cinnamon in your coffee grounds is ideal.  

Anything in excess is usually not beneficial.  

There are 3 common cinnamons:

1. Cassia (most popular in U.S.)

2. Ceylon cinnamon/“true cinnamon"

3. Saigon cinnamon

#1 & 2 are most popular and most research has been done on them.

#3 is usaully more expensive.  

Both 1 & 2 have good health benefits.  

Both help at regulating blood sugar.  

However, note that #1-Cassia, has higher levels of Coumarin (an anit-coagulant).

I find that Ceylon tastes better too.  

To max out being BP, one thing that I always ask myself is what the mycotoxin levels

might be?

So, I would only buy whole sticks.

Not ground.

Try and buy the freshest, highest quality one can afford.  

Talk Soon,

Marty

P.S. Mountain Rose was mentioned above, they rock!   

P.S.S. Mark Sisson has a great article on Cinnamon:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-cinnamon/#axzz2Z83GQb4G

• awesome thread. now i have another variable to throw in to my BPC in the mornings, good stuff. i am looking forward to trying this mixing in the coffee grounds thing, with the cinnamon and the vanilla. until now i've been blending my vanilla but i think it'll be more enjoyable filtering it out with the grounds.

how small do you break up the cinnamon sticks to get the flavor out? i grated a couple teaspoons for the sweet potato brownie recipe i saw here, and damn, that was a workout! does it work to just break them up a bit then put them in a coffee grinder? will that mess my coffee grinder up?