Bulletproof Coffee And Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I'm hoping to learn more about how the body gets around to burning fat by eating fat. I'd previously tried the cyclical ketogenic diet (the one Tim Ferriss points to on his blog, http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/forums/nutrition/2156-ckd-cyclical-ketogenic-diet.html).

In this diet, you carefully measure the amount of protein and fat that your body needs on a daily basis, then minus 500 fat calories. That's all you get to eat each day, to create an environment where you don't consume your existing muscles (as you've eaten enough protein) and the dietary fat teaches your body that's what to burn, with the last 500 calories coming from your stores.

The post basically says, if you don't deficit or even go into surplus fat intake, you won't burn any body fat.

Contrast this with bulletproof coffee and the bulletproof diet, where there is no measuring of any fats or proteins and people are encouraged to eat as much as they need to. Covered in plenty of butter.

On the CKD I did get hungry so it was totally possible for me to eat too much for that diet. I even had to take the butter out of my coffee as it put me over the amount of fat calories I had to eat. So with BPC and BPD, I know I would eat a lot more than the CKD would recommend to get any fat burning going on. Yet, on the BPD people are losing weight!

So the question is, how does all of this even work? Is this the magic of intermittent fasting here? Or is the fat calorie deficit not actually true and you could eat a lot more while still burning body fat? Or is it a satiated state has a better hormone reaction which leads to more comfortable fat burning?

I need to find a good book on this!

Comments

• Do a search for Dr. Lustig's video "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on Youtube.   I also like Vinnie Tortorich's podcast, though be prepared for a lot of extra banter with the advice. The theory is that it is not about calories, but about what your body absorbs and how it does it, and what kinds of chain reactions are set off by the things you eat.  (at least I think so - more knowledgeable folks feel free to correct me)

• ^that's my general understanding at this point.  I used to be more ignorant about 'calorie is a calorie' logic, and while i think people are being equally ignorant by holding that calorie-density is all but irrelevant, the reality seems to be that calories, especially what these calories come from, is a good way to look at this.

on the note of people losing tons with bpd, i don' t know that i'd take that as gospel yet (unless bp is popular on spots outside this board, that i'm unaware of?).  BPD logic (as it's applied* here on these boards) basically says "eat bp and you will be smart, and gain muscle and/or lose fat, depending which you had desired".  If you take this stuff too seriously, you'll convince yourself that regular coffee is akin to poison, or that clean food can negate exercise or knowing wtf you're actually eating.  

(*I want to qualify "as it's applied here on these boards", because i notice this a lot around here.  What i meant by that is the 'gospel' approach many seem to have taken here- they come across as starry-eyed newbs who couldn't fathom things aren't as cut/dry as they've read.  It's very important that people understand, there's no 'perfect' bp lifestyle.  The way you 'adapt bp' is a function of you, your body, your dailiy lifestyle, and, last but certainly not least, your goals.  

This is not a problem with bp - i'm sure that dave could properly adapt his ideas to most anybody with fantastic success; the problem occurs when well-meaning beginners try to help w/o really being qualified - whether it's "no, you don't need carbs at training time, protein will be processed for glycogen" to an athlete, or "take 1tsp salt in the morning" to an 85lbs kid in a wheelchair(not that someone said that, i presume he just read it and applied himself)", the problem is that w/ nutrition(or drugs or training), the ways we apply these principles can make or break their efficacy (or even safety!)

Sorry for the rant lol

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Not all calories are equal!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013

Sorry, computer glitch!

Can you delete a post?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Thanks. I think I understand well enough what happens when you eat carbs, but I need to learn more on what happens when you eat protein or fat. Fat in particular from my OP. Can anyone recommend a good book on how this kind of stuff works?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I think Gary Taubes' books might be a good place to start.

It makes me think there should be some kind of Bulletproof Wiki that we can all add to (with references of course!) to form the ultimate resource. That would be awesome! (hint hint mods!)