Cooking Red Meat

I like grass fed hamburger meat and the only way I have been cooking is under the broiler. Does anyone have recommendations as to how I can cook without open flame, what temp would you use and for how long in the oven? What are you doing for other cuts of red meat and lamb in terms of temperature and time in the oven. How much water is used when cooking those? Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Comments

• Personally ive only cooked it in a skillet over medium heat. Doesnt really brown (the way i always cook ANY meat) but comes out pretty good. Dave said grilling is ok at 350 right? that way might be the best.
  • I was going to try and cook a pound of chop meat in a slow cooker and see how it comes out.
  • That would probably work well too. Seems like this grass-fed beef isnt that tender? Could be me though. I also noticed that the really fatty stuff basically drains all of its fat into the skillet. I dont want to drain it, but steaming meat is no good lol.
  • I have two giant pans of meatloaf cooking at 350 right now in the oven. When the internal temp hits 120, I'll scale the oven back to 250. I'm hoping that's better than frying it in a pan as I've been doing (daily) for months.

I'd like to hear some other ways of making stuff with ground beef without frying it too...I live on grass-fed ground...
  • I have a convection toaster oven. I either throw some smallish grassfed ribeyes with some sea salt and a healthy pat of gf butter in at 350 for about 15 minutes. Alternatively, I mix some grassfed ground with some fresh chopped rosemary and thyme from the garden and some sea salt with a few pats of gf butter. I form about 1.5 lbs into a large 1/2 inch thick "patty" which covers most of the toaster ovens capacity. I throw that in at 350 with convection for about 15 minutes.

I've had the toaster oven for years. Seems similar to the Flavor/NuWave in function, but without the oddball shape. I haven't tried anything frozen like the Flavor/NuWave is said to be able to handle.
  • Don't broil - ever. Cook in a medium size pot on low to medium heat, with about 1-2 cups of water underneath just enough to almost cover the top of the meat. Cook until it's almost done, then pull it off (the meat keeps cooking for about 10 minutes after you remove the heat).
  • 'Dave wrote:

Don't broil - ever. Cook in a medium size pot on low to medium heat, with about 1-2 cups of water underneath just enough to almost cover the top of the meat. Cook until it's almost done, then pull it off (the meat keeps cooking for about 10 minutes after you remove the heat).

Do you lose any nutrients in the water, can I just trow it away (especially when just cooking boneless pieces... like ground beef)? For example I like to steam my vegetables but I figured I would be losing too many nutrients if I keep doing it because the water becomes greenish... I mostly just eat my vegetables raw now... I often cook a bit my spinach (no water) because it makes them more compact and I can more easily eat 150-200g of spinach in a meal. I also find it tastier that way, especially with some melted butter, I figure I don`t lose to many nutrients this way nor do I overcook it...
  • After I steam my veg, I dump it back into the water, immersion blend it, then add butter and salt. Delicious soup and no lost nutrients!
  • I'll have to experiment with cooking beef the way Dave recommended...so far I've still been pan "frying" with just a bit of water and at lower heat.
  • edited May 2012
    Last night I tried cooking my grass fed ribeye this way, I put a screen over it and placed some asparagus on the screen then coveres that with a pan lid to steam the asparagus. Came out good..the meat was a bit more done then I like cause I got distracted..but the asparagus was awesome.
  • After going to enough food events with top chefs, and learning how to cook, cut and present steaks … I decided to take the plunge and buy a cast iron pan to grill steaks.

I searched online, and found a few ways to grill but most of them come down to this: 3-4 minutes per side on high heat for a medium finish, then tent with aluminum foil to continue cooking to the right temperature.

Here’s what I put on top of the steaks: olive oil brushed on each side, fresh ground salt (pink Himalayan salt for one, Kosher salt for the other), a light dusting of garlic powder, and fresh ground pepper to coat the steak in pepper (big pieces, not finely ground).

And, well, pretty much amazing. There’s something fun about cooking with cast iron, as it’s heavy and you can pretend you’re going to conk out someone. And it’s amazing (did I say that already)?

So yes, go buy a cast iron pan if you’re going to grill steaks. It was quick and easy.
  • because there are many different ways to cook better..

you can cook just with water but i like the grill too..
  • edited June 2012
    so in reading through this post there was some things that came out tough.... so .. this is advice for cooking roasts.. corned beef... pork short ribs etc...

1st you can do all these things in a crock pot.. ... brown the meat ... aka hot skillet (preferably cast iron it has more heat energy because its thick metal but a thick bottomed pan works also) some oil .. listen to the sizzle... all sides should be brown ... take some chopped up onions put them in the bottom of the slow cooker and add maybe a cup of water.. .. cover .. set it to low and come back in like 8 hrs...

2nd a similar way that can be faster ... is using a cast iron dutch oven in the oven .. goto sam's or wherever and get a big 7gt dutch oven for like 40$... normally it has an enamel finish that makes cleaning easy.. then its pretty much the same as above.. using the dutch oven on top of the stove.. brown your meat.. in small batches if you have to... set the meat aside.. put in a bunch of onions and carrots and cellery if you want into the dutch oven let the onions start to clarify ..add any aromatic herbs/spices ...add about 1cup of water.. put the meat back in the pot... put the lid on it.. and throw it in the oven .. 250 degrees for about 30min per pound of meat... works for me.. .. and its tender every time.. plus you can make all kinds of stuff with the juices that you get...

does anyone cook with a pressure cooker id love some advice with that...
  • i just find this intresting article about "the right methods to cook meat preperly" and i think there is so much helpful information image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> this is the link http://www.delightfulcuisine.com/2012/05/right-methods-of-cooking-meat-properly.html
  • 'Natlex' wrote:

Do you lose any nutrients in the water, can I just trow it away (especially when just cooking boneless pieces... like ground beef)? For example I like to steam my vegetables but I figured I would be losing too many nutrients if I keep doing it because the water becomes greenish... I mostly just eat my vegetables raw now... I often cook a bit my spinach (no water) because it makes them more compact and I can more easily eat 150-200g of spinach in a meal. I also find it tastier that way, especially with some melted butter, I figure I don`t lose to many nutrients this way nor do I overcook it...

I'd like to know about this too because I've cooked my beef with water a couple of times in the last few days and there seems to be a lot of stuff that comes out of the meat and left in the water? Am I losing a lot of the good stuff or what?