Piracetam For Young And Developing Minds _ Dave Asprey

I read somewhere that Dave said Modafinil is not recommended for 20-25 year olds because the brain is still developing.

Should piracetam be used with the same cautiousness? Why?

I was thinking of buying a bulk amount of foreign pharmaceutical grade piracetam, but wanted to check here to make sure.

Comments

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

I remember when I was 14 and started playing bass guitar, joined a band at 15, never stopped rocking with the volume cranked as loud as it could go. Until I started to notice my hearing slip. That constant ringing would keep me awake for hours. Only after that is when I started wearing ear plugs and now I take pristine care of my hearing, especially considering that I do a little producing from time to time. I need my hearing.

Take care of your brain while you're young. It doesn't grow back. You don't want to be in my position: in your early 30s wishing that you didn't red-line a bodily function just because you could and now it's not even half as good as it used to be. Your brain is still developing, so let it develop before you go fucking with it, son.

I doubt I'll get my hearing back to where it should be....

No sorcery, just science. 

• RodRod The Rodfather

I'm with you, I destroyed myself growing up.  Play it safe!

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

Modafinil would def. be a no-no until fully mature, by my book. It's a prescription med. for a reason. Piracetam is benign in comparison to modafinil... Definitely *not* underage material, though.

Blows my mind how some 15-17 year olds are taking 10+ stacks of nootropics on longecity. 

• so does piracetam have good long term benefits for the young mind?

• bump! Dave Asprey?

Experts?

Is piracetam good long term for young minds?

• GhastlyPrezGhastlyPrez Ghastly Prezence

I'm fairly young, almost in my mid-20's now, and have been taking Piracetam as well as a few other racetams for over a year now. I don't see it being a problem, Piracetam essentially works primarily by stimulating a few key neuro-receptors, the Corpus Callosum, and ATP so I don't see how this stimulation could cause some irrevocable damage to a young and developing mind.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about what all they put into my food as opposed to Piracetam. At least Piracetam has about 40ish years of studies to back it up.

Dude.... you've had a few of us say "it's not a good idea." I'd ask why you're still asking, but I know why: You want to do it.

It's your head, mate. Do what you want. Just know that it's your responsibility, especially since a few people have told you it's not a good idea. I only take them maybe once a week anyway, because I don't believe in a biological "free lunch." (Credit: Tim Ferriss haha)

A developing mind is not something to fuck with.... however, if you want to help prove Charles Darwin's theory correct, then feel free to do whatever you want :)

• edited March 2013

I've never read anything that states that young adult minds should avoid the racetams, which includes everything I've read from Dave. I doubt he would sell it if it were dangerous. I have a bag of aniracetam that says do not take if you are under 18. My bag of piracetam says keep away from children. Nothing about young adults. It's pretty safe stuff with very low toxicity.

I now work for an Australian oil manufacturer. Every now and then I field a tech call asking if they can use my products in their aeroplane. The answer is a quick "no" and the reason for that is risk. We don't test our oils for use in aviation applications. Would they pass? I know we buy the best base stocks available on the market and only use the best additives, so they probably would, but we're not testing it. 

If something goes wrong with your car oil, the engine might seize up and you roll to a stop. 

If something goes wrong with your plane, the engine might seize up and you come crashing to a stop, potentially in a residential area. 

In my opinion, a developing brain should be left to develop naturally. It should not be a risk that you're willing to take.

Would anything happen if someone used my engine oil in their plane? Probably not. However, due to the worst case scenario, it's a risk we're not willing to take.

However... it's your head. Do what you want.

• edited March 2013

There are very little to no risks. What makes you think that it's possibly dangerous? It sounds like you're just using fuzzy logic instead of actual research. I wouldn't condescend on others unless you know what you're doing. Of all the studies there have been no long term damages to my understanding. And by your logic would it be unwise to supplement a young adult with fish oil or creatine? My creatine bottle also says not to use if under 18. I wouldn't give it to kids, because they don't need it, but it is still completely safe and can be helpful for young adults.

Modafinil is a completely different level of nootropic and is something I'd definitely approach with caution. Hence why Dave and others would recommend caution. And hence why it's a prescription drug. Aniracetam has even been considered as a dietary supplement. The FDA no longer approves that (my bag of ani still cites it as one, though) but hey, they're not perfect, and my point is the timid nature of ani.

• http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag95/95sep1.htm

This article from Life Extension Foundation convinced me.