Ghee A Substitute For Butter In Bp Coffee?

If so how much would replace 50g of butter I'm currently adding?

Comments

• Since butter is around 85% dairy fat and ghee is 100% dairy fat, my calculations say 42,5g ghee is the same amount of fat as 50g butter.

Just joking, 50g ghee wont hurt you ;)
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • Tank u veddy march
  • as long as you don't mind and oil slick coffee, ghee doesn't emulsify.

Yeah was worried that may be the case, the froth from the butter makes the coffee enjoyable for me so l'll stick to butter.
  • I use ghee. I don't find the coffee itself oily but it is hard to clean the top of my thermal mug.

• When you run the butter, MCT oil and coffee through a blender, does it eventually separate?  I'd like to make a thermos of it in the morning rather than having to make fresh batches at work too.

• Ghee is great, but I personally like the flavor and texture of the butter in coffee more.  I find ghee to be more oily with less of the rich mouthfeel that butter has.

• I know what you mean about that frothy feeling and had the same issue with using ghee too - but then I learned somewhere here that if you drop an egg yolk in your BPC ghee you get more frothiness than ever - to be honest I actually enjoy this more than the grassfed butter. the butter was also making me very nauseous too

• Nauseousness from fat passes with time.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • I just picked up a 50lb block of grass fed butter for the first time (!!!) but it is salted - sad panda. But "grass fed salted" is better than nothing so I am going to work with it.

That said, I was thinking of making ghee so that the salt is removable via the solids/water separation process. My cooking training taught me that the salt is part of the froth and is subsequently removed in the clarifying process. Can anyone confirm this? It's been a while since I clarified butter....

I used the salted NZ GF in my coffee this am, straight up, and tried to mask it with some cocoa and stevia, which was a partial success.

Overall I am feeling fucking fantastic with my first real grassfed BP coffee. Hot damn. Any Canadians out there reading this, contact me about getting your hands on the NZ product. I obtained a 25kg block yesterday and am happy with the performance of the product thus far!

• Chefmystic - does the NZ brand have unsalted? I just switched from Salted to Unsalted butter, and gosh dang... huge difference in mental clarity. 

• Yes they do, but unfortunately we must till April 2014 for the unsalted! Thats when the dairy board (the dark Canuck dairy cabal...) will be importing the next quota. the timing is still somewhat momentous as it will be a batch of summer butter, if I calculate the NZ seasons correctly - opposite of ours in the northern hemisphere.

• GeijutsuGeijutsu
    edited November 2013

I just picked up a 50lb block of grass fed butter for the first time (!!!) but it is salted - sad panda. But "grass fed salted" is better than nothing so I am going to work with it.

That said, I was thinking of making ghee so that the salt is removable via the solids/water separation process. My cooking training taught me that the salt is part of the froth and is subsequently removed in the clarifying process. Can anyone confirm this? It's been a while since I clarified butter....

I used the salted NZ GF in my coffee this am, straight up, and tried to mask it with some cocoa and stevia, which was a partial success.

Overall I am feeling fucking fantastic with my first real grassfed BP coffee. Hot damn. Any Canadians out there reading this, contact me about getting your hands on the NZ product. I obtained a 25kg block yesterday and am happy with the performance of the product thus far!

I bought a salted butter batch once by mistake but non of the saltiness was there after I turned it into ghee, so I guess it really does seperates with the water/milk solids.

• as long as you don't mind and oil slick coffee, ghee doesn't emulsify.

Emulsifies fine for me with hand frother although I still had allergy issues with ghee albeit less than butter.

• Nauseousness from fat passes with time.

I hope so, as at the moment I don't feel great drinking this stuff (about 4 weeks into doing this now).

• I hope so, as at the moment I don't feel great drinking this stuff (about 4 weeks into doing this now).

I had the same... A few unpleasant head to toilet episodes after too much MCT too soon (ex vegetarian with a crap digestive system)... Maybe cut back on the amount of fat and oil you're using... Kinda counterproductive if it's just making you nauseous.
    Hacking my digestive system - aka getting to the root cause of chronic unwellness - blog: http://bighealthventures.blogspot.com.au
  • RobPhoboS - How much of each item are you putting into your coffee? 

Also, when you're starting out with BPC, take it slow. Don't chug it all down right away. Sip it, and allow your digestive juices to integrate the fat :) 

Mmm... fat... mmmmmmm BPC.....

*ahem* sorry bout that. 

Yeah, stick close to Dave's recipe when starting out. And even with MCT oil, on the bottles they usually say to start out with a TSP. Don't start putting 2 TBSP of MCT into your coffee right off the bat. Ease slowly into it, and your body will thank you later.

I'm almost 2 months in, at this point, and I'm still tweaking things :) Just listen to your body. It'll tell you a LOT of things. 

• I hope so, as at the moment I don't feel great drinking this stuff (about 4 weeks into doing this now).

==================

I get a stomach ache with butter in my coffee. It kicks in an hour or two after I drink it and it lasts about 30-45 minutes. I especially feel it with 3+ tbs. Ghee doesn't give me that problem. To emulsify, I blend then stop and add one egg yolk and blend again for 10 seconds. No separation.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• I'm looking for a way to emulsify BP coffee with ghee as well, but doesnt an egg yolk disrupt the whole point of making this a morning routine? i.e. IF.

• @Jason Miller said:
    as long as you don't mind and oil slick coffee, ghee doesn't emulsify.

When an oil slick is formed on top of your coffee, are there still liquid micells formed so that the fat is rapidly digested by our body? Or is this only the case with emulsified coffee, for example when you use butter?