Mct Oil Irritates Throat

Started up on BP coffe last week.

Using BP Coffee Beans and MCT Oil from Upgraded Self, and Kerry Gold butter. 

After my first cup of coffee (using 3 tbsps of butter and 2 tbs of MCT Oil) I had an itchy throat for about two days.

Tried to narrow down what the cause was (through god-awful trial and error), and it seems to be the MCT Oil. 

I know that MCT oil is not an absolutely essential part of BP coffee, but I am thoroughly  enjoying its effects and I really would rather not give it up entirely. 

Anyone else having this problem? Do you think its an allergic reaction, bad batch, or that I should use smaller quantities? 

Tagged:

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

I forgot the exact mechanism but your mouth is not used to all the fat. You can mix it with coconut oil to add some of the short chain fatty acids. Try it that way, if it still bugs, just use less MCT and build up. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

• RodRod The Rodfather

Sure thing, look at 1:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8C3J1QtX6M

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I have cut down to 1/2 teaspoon of MCT in my coffee and have been adding 30 grams of coconut oil. I am still getting a sore throat but not as bad as when I was doing 2 teaspoons of MCT.

• Cut down to a teaspoon which ended the throat irritation. Slowly working up to two tbsp a day, and no throat irritation so far. Looks like scaling back and then working up is a very effective way to do it. Thanks!

• RodRod The Rodfather

Cut down to a teaspoon which ended the throat irritation. Slowly working up to two tbsp a day, and no throat irritation so far. Looks like scaling back and then working up is a very effective way to do it. Thanks!

Fantastic! Thanks for the feedback.

• This may sound crazy, but are any of you drinking it out of stainless steel travel cups? I don't get the sore throat when I drink it out of a ceramic tea cup and then when I bring it to work in any number of stainless steel cups I have, I get the sore throat! My partner too. Maybe it's some kind of reaction with the stainless steel and the oil or butter?

• I noticed some of this too with C8 MCT (in borosil / ceramic), particularly if I got really lazy about it and sipped on coffee with a fat glob floating on top or tried to mix it in with something that didn't emulsify well. Months down the road, I can slather it like butter on my food and there are no issues. It reminds me of the burn you get from a good olive oil, although by different mechanisms I suppose.

• Hey. Yes, it's burning even in ceramic cups. I'm using Coconut oil, Coconut butter, and Ghee in regular dunkin coffee (3 TBS TOTAL FAT) bc my starter kit hasn't come yet, but it is rough. I dont enjoy the taste at all and I have to try to gulp it down like alcohol bc it isnt sweet to me. I've been doing it 4 days. I miss my whole milk latte with whip so much. This just doesn't comfort me the way it did. Does anyone know how to sweeten this thing and still stay in an Intermittent fast?

IF, however, is serving me well. I'm losing weight slowly BUT I look different, more toned, and and more glowy. I do tend to gorge at dinner on the meat and veggies, and finish off my meal with Green Tea and a tap of raw honey to help me sleep. I also take magnisium and potassium vitamins with collagen before bed to help with sore muscles.

Another snack I've discovered is FROZEN GRAPES. The juices make a perfect tiny popsicle that you can stuck on or take time enjoying and not over indulge. It's great for the summer!

Laurel