Protein Shakes For Breakfast?

edited March 2013 in Bulletproof Diet

I'm interested in peoples experience or opinions on protein shakes for breakfast?

I know they are typically used as a post workout meal replacement, But what are the effects when used as a morning meal replacement? Anybody done so and track their ketone's? Or possibly any theory's on the effect of protein shakes on ketosis? Will it keep you from being hungry until your 8 hour feeding window? Or are you better off just going without the fast and making a real breakfast with BP foods?

- Rotary Enthusiast: "Brap brap said the rotary!"

Comments

• The liver will convert protein to sugar for fuel. So as soon as you drink your protein shake you will be out of ketosis. The intermittent fasting concept is not eating again after your dinner meal, and sleeping for 6-8 hours of your fast. then drinking a quality source of fat (Bulletproof coffee) so that you body learns there is plenty of energy and begins to metabolize fat instead of breaking done your muscle protein during your fast. I have found my appetite totally satisfied while I am at work for 8 hour just with BP coffee.

You could try your protein shake as a before bed meal or to break your fast later in the day or to supplement what ever meal you are eating.

• edited April 2013

Bumping this up again guys.

I've been researching into the topic more. Specifically about onnit's Hemp force and BP's upgraded whey. So far what I've found (all tho i'm unsure of the reliability of the sources) is that even tho these two products do contain protein and carbs, that are suppose to AVOID spikes in insulin. 

I understand that no matter what, protein or whey powders WILL knock you out of ketosis, But what I want to know is would it still be better having an upgraded whey shake for breakfast than having poached eggs with avocado?

The problem is I simply can't handing the butter in my coffee. It makes me sick (even after two weeks :( ) I thought about sticking to the BP coffee with MCT oil and replacing the butter with coconut milk, But that kind of defeats the purpose and would knock me out of ketosis anyway.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the BP diet is great! But I've noticed weight loss (and even more so, mental clarity) have slowed and decreased repsectively since switching from BP coffee to eggs and avo breakfasts. (I lost 5kgs in the first two weeks, now i've only lost 1kg, i've probably put a very small amount of weight on due to muscle but even still the weight loss has slowed since no more BP coffee. Lunches and dinners stay the same every day, lunch boiled cabbage with skinless roasted chicken shreds dinner GF steak 240g lots of veggies, everything cooked in coconut oil and GF butter)

- Rotary Enthusiast: "Brap brap said the rotary!"

• Gonna give you the same advice I got when I had the same problem with BP coffee..

Best thing to do is  just power through the discomfort, or take a betaine HCI with the coffee. Took a while for me to adjust to the coffee but now it is almost the best part of the day!! really seems to make a huge diffrence in my "overall sense of feeling goood"

I just started with less butter and mct and built it up during a couple of weeks

• Fast for breakfast its good for you.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • I would recommend either fasting or eating a meal high in fat.

A protein shake will definitely kick you out of ketosis, and it is not optimal for breakfast.

Jake

My Fitness and Nutrition Blog: http://JJStrength.com

• I find that taking meals in liquid form counterproductive: you are hungry soon after consumption and on the prowl for things to cheat on.  I`d say eat eggs, at least 3 for breakfast.  I got in the habit of this with 4HB and don`t see why it is not bulletproof.  I soft boil mine so the yoke is barely cooked sprinkle shallots on it, maybe some butter or mct oil.  It doesn`t take long and I am not hungry till lunch.

• hybridhybrid Cateye vs Isolation

I sometimes substitute morning coffee with some coconut milk with some whey. Consuming some fat with it slows the speed of absoption and bodys response to it. Works fo me.

• As a new member I am really curious as to why having a protein shake throws you out of ketosis. Would this be the case even with a plain grass fed whey protein shake with say 3g of carbs? It is something that perplexed me reading the rapid fat loss protocol as I always thought having mainly protein with no more than 10g of carbs would keep you in ketosis. I am so sorry if I am being a bit of a dizzy lizzy but I would love to understand why pure protein would still throw you out of ketosis. Also, has anyone tried ketosis if RFLP with say on day 3each week adding a meal or shake of pure protein? Kind regards to you all x
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Protein can be converted to sugar by the liver. So it's not the carbs/sugar of a specific protein powder, but the protein itself. Though the carbs/sugar will do it too. A couple grams of protein probably wouldn't do much, but a full protein shake is more likely to. 

Unrelated, I have not heard the term dizzy lizzy before. 

• MarielleMarielle
    edited March 2014
    Hi Matilda,

Your body can convert protein into glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis. Some people can eat a little protein and it won't affect ketosis much and some can't.

Mary

• Thank you for explaining that.

I honestly thought after reading low carb diet books a while ago, that all ketosis happened when you ate protein but extremely low carb.

Well, that had given me a much clearer idea now why Dave has no carb or protein on RFLP.

Really appreciate the explaination and shows why intermittent fasting until 2as I have been doing is so good.

Have clearer picture now thank you x
  • P.s I am a crazy daisy who skips into other realms so can be dizzy lizzy too in this fruit loopy world but on my little journey to becoming bulletproof Betty I hope! :-)
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Tim Ferriss recommends 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking in the morning. A protein shake can easily deliver this. 

It would also help with doing a leptin reset where you need 50-70g of protein within 30 minutes of waking. (a la Jack Kruse)

• so, this question might just show my ignorance, but if your someone who cant do the intermittent fasting due to adrenal problems, and having a somewhat labor intensive job, eating 6-7 eggs with a bit of leafy greens and some fatty bacon, or pieces of liver will insure that you never get the benefits of ketosis?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    I don't know the nitty gritty details, but generally to be in ketosis you lower your carbs. You can still eat protein and be in ketosis.

RFLP, ketosis, and IF are all three different things.
  • zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    edited June 2014

my weight loss plateaued after four months of IF and 35lbs - so I began the 30g protein within 30 min of waking last week. i've been alternating between a scramble bowl and protein shakes with added MCT... followed by my usual cup of BPC.

i'm not a big fan of breakfast, so the shakes are more appealing because I can blend and chug it while the coffee steeps with minimal disruption to my morning routine.

i have not had any problems staying in ketosis so far, but I am mindful of keeping my fat intake "high" and carbs under 50g/day.

after 7 days, weight loss is still stagnant (but no gain). I'm going to continue with the 30/30 experiment for at least a total of six weeks before I go back to IF.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.

after 3 weeks of 30g/30min I have begun losing weight again - 2 pounds after the second week and another 2 pounds after the 3rd week.

in the interest of time, my breakfasts have become exclusively the protein shakes made with (30g MCT, 20g almonds, and water) buzzed-up to make a milky base and then a scoop of protein powder and more water buzzed-up until creamy.

still no problem with ketosis... so I am going to continue the 6 week experiment and probably switch back to IF once I'm done... then maybe alternate between the two on a shorter cycle if my weight stagnates again.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• Hi all

I'm now very confused,  looking at the BP diet info-graphic it states that you can have upgraded whey or upgraded collagen as part of your daily protein intake but reading the above posts am I to assume this would take you out of Ketosis?

If so,  why are the protein shakes in there?

Thanks in advance.

Daren.

• If I can add

. Why burning (use for energy) ketones rather than glucose? Because nature is lazy and wants to do what is the most efficient, meaning what requires the less energy to achieve the same goal. Burning ketones is way more efficient than buning glucose.

. being in ketosis means your liver manufactures ketones and not glucose and most of your cells burn ketones.

. being out of ketosis means your liver manufactures glucose and not ketones and most of your cells burn glucose.

. Insuline signals the body to get read of "excess" glucose is from carbs or amino acids. Hence when insuline is present organs and cells start burning glucose and liver stop manufacturing ketones to manufacture glucose. Idea is to get read of "excess" ASAP!

. Once "excess" is gone, insuline vanishes. the body restarts burning ketones.

Relation to quantities

. too much carbs reaching the blood stream CAN mean excess glucose for the body -> insuline

. too much proteins reaching the blood stream CAN mean excess amino acids for the body -> gluconeogenesis followed by insuline

Relation to carbs and proteins

. carbs that deliver too much glucose for the body to handle (starchy carbs) spike insuline

. proteins that deliver too much amino acides for the body to handle (whey, hydrolysates, food high in leucine) spike insuline

Big question is " What is too much"

. In my view, too much means conditions for the 3 billion cells in our body to work efficiently are not fullfiled.

-+ Cells cannot use whole present because the rest of what cells need to build is not present.

* that's why too much carbs or too much proteins make you fat : your cells asked to burn "excess" glucose have to do more work in less time to build what the should and thus must have access to the amino acids, minerals and vitamins to do their work. Almost impossible, therefore the body store for the next time and you become fat!

* that's why 4 eggs alone spike insuline, but 4 eggs cooked with plenty fats (bacon or butter) do not.

The next question is what is an insulin spike and whether or not one wants to spike his/her insuline.

. There is always some insulin around even when in ketosis.

. nsulin is anabolic and accelerates metabolism. The more insulin, the more anabolism and acceleration of metabolism so my take is you need some but not always. I like my insulin spikes post workout.

It also explains why it is virually impossible to put on body fat on a ketogenic diet. As long as one do not eat too much proteins or carbs, excess calories from fat will tank insulin. So go on and eat plenty fats to make sure you're hypercaloric!

I have checked all of the above over and over again with precision Xtra glucose and ketones meter. And spot on. Thanks to that I know prettty well what works (fats/proteins/carbs) for me. (expensive - and painful for my fingers - but was worth it for me big time!)

It took me quite some time thinking and reading books and blogs to figure that out. Hope it helps most of you to achieve a good Ketogenic Bulletproof diet!

• Great replies and loads to think about and learn.  Thank you! 

• pmrtnzpmrtnz Peter Martinez

Dave has mentioned that on days after intense training or if you are sick, you may consider adding protein to your BP coffee. Also, women do well with 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking up (ala Tim Ferriss).  

• Am I right in thinking that as the Upgraded Whey has Coconut MCT in the mix,  this helps the body stay in Ketosis even though you're having quite a large dose of protein?

• I do hemp protein in the morning with my shake. Then later I do whey in a shaker with water or whole milk after workout. I am also considering doing upgraded collagen with my BPC upon waking.

• i take light breakfast with protein shakes and 3 eggs after complete workout.

• Protein shake are good to get protein into your body, but it is better to rather consume a meal instead. Although I do understand because peoples hectic schedules and due to the lack of time why you would rather have a protein shake for breakfast.

At the end of the day I suppose it depends on how your body reacts to it, so if this is working for you then you should continue with it.

If you are body building then you should also be adding other forms of lean protein into your diet, not just protein shakes.

If you are only filling up on protein shakes for breakfast then I would also suggest you make sure to add other sources of protein to your diet, for lunch and dinner.

Because everyone’s body is different and unique it all depends on how your body is reacting, so if you are seeing the results you want then continue with what you are doing. :)