Ketone Observation

Comments

• Leon -
    • I take the creatine with 2 tsp of baking soda when I do it on an empty stomach preworkout. Also, a tbsp of coconut oil. Seems to be enough.
    • Like the kettlebells idea. The transition into ketosis and fat burning metabolism goes much quicker this way.
    • As far as the cravings go, i would hit the BPC and coconut oil quite early and often.

~Eric
  • Leon -
    • I take the creatine with 2 tsp of baking soda when I do it on an empty stomach preworkout. Also, a tbsp of coconut oil. Seems to be enough.
    • Like the kettlebells idea. The transition into ketosis and fat burning metabolism goes much quicker this way.
    • As far as the cravings go, i would hit the BPC and coconut oil quite early and often.

~Eric
  • LOL! Anyone else had that happen? I hit post once and nothing, the seconds later there is 3. WTH?
  • What some people won't do for attention!
  • Hi guys,

So weighing in on the second day i have lost an even 4lbs of (presumably) water (from 191-187). Haven't felt too hungry unless someone else around me is eating... The only ill effect i've picked up is a bit of tension in my neck (right at the base of my skull) but otherwise feeling pretty good. Managed to drink sparkling water last night despite having a bunch of friends over too!

Went to the butcher today and got a bunch of goodies to refeed on tomorrow. Got some steak, lamb, eggs etc and making a pot of bone broth to really try to up the nutrition. Carb wise i'll be hitting the white rice and sweet potatoes (pretty much as soon as i get out of bed i imagine!! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />).

Check in with you guys again soon image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    www.optimoz.com.au

Upgraded products for Aussies AND NOW NZ!!
  • Woke up at 130 with just nasty sugar cravings. Drank some peppermint tea and went back to bed after two trips to the bathroom. All in all, still got 7+ hours sleep. In light ketosis as I just weighed in at...174 (-6)! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Plan for refeed looks like this:

600 - BPC

700 - BCAA's, MCT's

715 - Light. light, light depletion workout; bone broth

830 - 36g Whey, 2 Emergen-c, BPC, 5g creatine

1000 - BPC; 36g whey

1200 - Break fast w/ 4 eggs and 2 potatoes, banana; creatine

1600 - Sweet potatoes w/ pork chops; creatine

2000 - Emergen-c; 1lb ground sirloin w/ white rice and steamed broccoli; creatine

That's the plan, then take pic and measurements in the morning. Probably over-thinking it, but that's half the fun. Am I missing anything?

@Leon - Sparkling water is a wonderful thing when others are drinking in front of you. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • Hey guys,

Congratulations on your sparkling water work around, Leon. Well done.

Sugar cravings? Wow- that's interesting, Eric.

You're a more disciplined person than I am though. My refeed plan is like this- pick up fork, graze all day on grass fed beef, yams, rice, veggies, nuts, avos, MCT's, butter- keep it comin'.

Not gonna start official whining til tomorrow's weigh in. But as of today I'm down only 2.8 since last Sat. Still in major ketosis though. That's only a net loss of 9.6.

Happy weekend!
  • Patricia -

Progress is rarely linear in these things, but I think 9.6lbs in less than two full weeks is pretty great. (This was my pep talk portion of the show.)

Good going and happy feasting to all!
  • Hey guys,

Yeah i'm definitely more in line with Patricia's way of doing things, today i have a whole bunch of meat, sweet potatoes and rice that i'm going to make my b!tch image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Anyways, weigh in this morning was 83.5kg/184lb (-7lbs), after 2 days i think that its a reasonable level to establish my "water-less" baseline at. Anything below here i'll be happy to accept as actual fat loss

@eric- After looking at your plan the only thing i could think of was adding Alpha lipoic acid around your carbs (particularly around your workout). The benefit is apparently to force more of the carbs/glycogen into your muscles. I had been dubious about its efficacy (as i'd only heard of it from 4HB) but Dave mentioned it on a podcast i was listening to the other day so i've moved it from my blacklist to my grey list image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

@patricia - so how far are you away from your "plateau" level you were talking about? That'll be the true test i guess, if you can punch through that wall i'd be pretty stoked!
    www.optimoz.com.au

• Hey y'all -

Pounded the "clean" food + a bowl of cereal at midnight (egads!) with nothing but muscle to show for it. Gained 4lbs back, looks like glycogen in the mirror to me. Very full and pumped and the belly fat is tighter. All in all I would say this was a success, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort given that i like to train almost every day.

I had a 6 egg omelet after fasting all day (total carbs = 8g) yesterday. Feel great for the most part and thinking the one meal a day approach is a better plan. Either way, fat fasting til Thursday.

Good luck!
  • edited April 2012
    Am I glad to hear you say one protein meal a day, Eric. I'm leaning in that direction myself.

I've only got -1 lb difference between this week's post refeed day and last week's. (Not panicking- just observing)

Tomorrow will be more accurate, I hope.

The gym was a disaster. But it may have been due to me fighting off something- didn't feel great upon waking and had a two hour nap attack after my first rice meal.

Leg press went from 8 reps to 2! I kept checking the weights to make sure I had them set properly. Wasn't expecting that at all. But I know when I'm borderline sick- my work out goes to hell. So I'll reobserve next week and perhaps later this week.

My thyroid was low all week. That could be a key part of the slow fat loss. It was hard to break into 98. anything from way down in 97. land. Saturday I took some good adrenal support- two tabs am, 2 tabs mid afternoon. Felt great. No nap attack- ran on all eight all day. Thought for sure my temp was at least 98.2 since that's my magic feel good number. Nope. 97.5.

So, I'm considering adding a protein meal once a day to try to get my body temp back.

Leon- you asked about my plateau miseries. This is a sticky place on the dial. But 5 lbs from Sunday's weight is the real plateau. I'm interested in all ideas

to move past it.

I'm not usually into mixing protein and carbs. But I found a recipe for these meatballs called porcupines. You add dry rice to the ground beef. They were great! Put some in the freezer for next week.

Thanks for the support and hope you both had fun refeeding yesterday.
  • Patricia, looking at your body temps, I think the thyroid is your key. I do think the thermogenesis created by a high protein meal would be ideal. My initial fears about muscle degradation are still with me - how can one possibly get by on zero protein and not lose muscle? I simply can't get my head around that question. Given that I employ low rep (1-5) training, I thought I could bypass some of this. Yet, my workouts were lousy, much worse than a standard low carb diet. As for temp, my body never got above 97.4 (upon rising) until Sunday (after refeed). Perhaps there is more to the story., something we are missing?

For me, the plan this week is to get some protein once per workout day, post-workout - eggs when I train in the morning, steak when I train in late afternoon. We'll see how this goes. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Interesting your body temp is low too on this, Eric. 97.4 is a refrigerator and not a stove.

Making adjustments to get back to 98.2 as a minimum. Films at a 11.
  • New ballgame! Ate grassfed beef for lunch. Took the same amount of Potassium Iodine. Temp back to 98.2. What a difference some protein makes. Yay!
  • Hey guys,

Can you explain a bit more about the significance of body temp? Obviously the higher your temp the more energy you're burning, but is there anything more in depth i can read about that?

Anyway i took the creatine tip (thanks eric!) and no nausea image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> After my refeed i went back up 2lbs and lost 1lb on the first day of the fasting phase (although i think that this is complicated by the creatine that i took...

Its really interesting, no hunger but force of habit is a tough mistress image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I'm excited to see if i get below my min from last week! Keen to hear if the protein is helping things
    www.optimoz.com.au