Newbie Sipping On Her First Bp Coffee

So delicious - wow. I must say - I was a bit scared. Don't have the MCT oil, but had 2 cups with 3 tbsp of grass fed butter (mine was lightly salted, thats all I had this AM - and it was actually perfectly delicious!). I am feeling a bit of a high right now :)

Thoughts on coconut oil as a substitute for MCT oil? I love my coconut oil and usually have it every morning, does it blend well, taste okay?

Also, any women out there that have a specific 'dosage' they take? I have read a lot on here about negative effects of too much MCT oil etc. What has everyone had luck with in regards to how much butter/coconut oil/MCT oil?

Comments

• Welcome to the forums!  I have a couple of comments that might help.

Dave talks a lot about mycotoxins and most coconut oil is loaded with them!  It does not blend exceptionally well, and is barely palatable.  According to the first Paleohacks podcast, Dave warns against sourcing your coconut oil from "a small tropical island in the Pacific" because they process it by throwing all of their coconuts into a pool of fermented sludge and wait for the oil to float to the surface.  He says that there is a trusted brand that uses a much better processing method:

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/category/coconut-products-coconut-oil.php

MCT oil contains six times as many medium chain triglycerides than coconut oil.  The stuff Dave sells is purified to an even greater degree so that you only get capric and caprylic acid (ten carbon fatty acids that boost your brain power and fires up ketone production.)  

I am not a woman, but I will also recommend that you start off slow with the MCT oil.  A teaspoon will suffice for at least a week.  Then, increase your dosage by a teaspoon each week until you are able to consume a tablespoon at a time.  If your dosage is too high, you will likely become ill.

Good luck!

If possible, get a hold of some unsalted grass fed butter (like Kerrygold or Anchor.)  It will taste better and help you perform at your best.  Low toxin coffee beans will help with that too.

• That is one of the products that Dave warned us about. You may want to consider something that is lower in toxins.
  • I think I had mold growing in mine, there was a round substance that looked like mold and felt like it in my coconut oil jar.

• That is one of the products that Dave warned us about. You may want to consider something that is lower in toxins.

it says expeller pressed, so I don't think it could be processed in the way that you were mentioning earlier. Are you sure is this exact one?
  • Dave simply referred to a geographic region in which a lot of coconut oil comes from.  He did not call out any specific brands.  The expeller method is a high temperature process.  They may or may not ferment the coconuts before hand.  Optimally, you want to go with cold pressed coconut oil.

• i'm not so big on measuring, but i was using about a half a stick of butter and maybe 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (per 12ish oz. of brewed coffee).  before i bought mct oil.  i think the coconut oil is delicious. i started with one tablespoon of the mct oil and have increased it some by a splash or 2.  the only difference i've noticed other than taste is a dry-feeling tongue, but that could be a couple other variables (vitamin d?).  it doesn't taste good or bad to me...the coconut oil had that yummy flavor to it.  many have spoken of needing to adjust the amount of fat in the beginning.  i haven't had an issue, but i've been eating a relatively high good fat diet for a while before being introduced to anything bulletproof

• Also,

is there any detailed documentation on this "bad" process of making coconut oil? I personally won't discount something just because it "seems" like it should be unhealthy. Heck, BP coffee "seems" quite unhealthy to most people.

• I started drinking bulletproof coffee within the last month, and I only use about a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of MCT oil, and I feel great...I haven't noticed any ill effects.  I'll likely stick with this ratio as it seems to be doing the trick for now.  :) 

Dave simply referred to a geographic region in which a lot of coconut oil comes from.  

I don't follow.

Are you / Dave warning against Coconut OIl from a specific geographic region?

if so, what is it? Malaysia? Asia? South of the Equator?

I have found Omega Nutrition's other products (MCT OIl etc) to be excellent.