Does The Butter In Bulletproof Coffee Break If And Ketosis

Greetings All.  I am relatively new to the forum and Bulletproof Exec and still finding my way around.  I have a question I am hoping for some guidance and clarification on.

There is a school of thought for intermittent fasting that consuming anything over a certain amount of calories stops the ketosis process and the benefits of intermittent fasting ends.  Depending upon the source I have read, the amount of calories to stop IF is anywhere from 30 calories to 50 calories to 100 calories.

Let's now focus on the bulletproof IF protocol and the bulletproof coffee.

The bulletproof intermittent fasting schedule has eating stopping at 8pm, bulletproof coffee (with butter and MCT oil) is consumed at 8am, and the fast is broken at 2pm. 

Individually the components of grass fed butter, BP coffee and BP MCT oil and are all very healthy.

That said, here is the question:

Does the addition of butter in bulletproof coffee stop the intermittent fast process, and the benefits associated with it because of the calorie content of the butter?

Many thanks in advance for the clarification on this point.

Jeffrey

Comments

• Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013

Hi, Jeffrey.  Glad to have you with us on the forums.

It is awesome to see that you have done some research before posting, but your sources are not one hundred percent correct.  It is not the caloric intake that stops ketosis, but the stimulation of glycolysis that limits ketone production.

IntermediaryMet.gif

Carbohydrates and gluconeogenesis through protein metabolism (not shown) come in at the top of the citric acid cycle to generate a net gain of thirty-six ATPs per molecule of hexose.  The ketonic side of energy comes in from the left of the graphic just below glycolysis.  Transport of glucose types (hydrophiles) are easy in a water environment like the human body.  Since the body is roughly sixty percent water, and each glucose type molecule can bind with two water molecules, diffusion not a problem.

Fats are metabolized through a different process called lipolysis where the enzyme lipase breaks down fat into fatty acids.  These fatty acids carry out a number of functions in the human body and can even be used to generate ATP through beta oxidation.  Fat metabolites (acetyl-co-enzyme A) work with oxaloacetic acid (sold on the Upgraded Self page as an anti-aging formula) to produce ATP as a means of cellular energy.  This process has a net energy gain that is six times greater than glycolysis!

In summary, fat is good!  Ketones are a byproduct of its metabolism, it gives you a ton of energy, it is great for your neurons, and makes your whole body run better.

Keep drinking that Bulletproof coffee, Jeffrey!

• Awesome answer by Jason above!

Studies have shown that the effects of fasting and only eating fat are almost identical, so even though the butter does technically "break the fast", you are still getting all of the fat burning benefits without the hunger.

Jake

My Fitness and Nutrition Blog: http://JJStrength.com

• That is correct, Jake.  Our bodies store fat, so when we run out of foodstuffs in our digestive tract, that fat is metabolized in the same way as dietary fat.  Great observation!

• Jason, thank you for the quick response, the answer and science behind it.  Much appreciated.

Jeffrey

• Jake, thanks for the additional insights.

Best,

Jeffrey

• That is correct, Jake. Our bodies store fat, so when we run out of foodstuffs in our digestive tract, that fat is metabolized in the same way as dietary fat. Great observation!

So dietary fat, not body fat, is the preferred fuel for a person low on carbs? Would skipping fat during waking fasting hours speed up loosing body fat?
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • No.  All fat, dietary or stored is treated the same.  Skipping fat will probably hinder weight loss due to hunger.

• RodRod The Rodfather

No.  All fat, dietary or stored is treated the same.  Skipping fat will probably hinder weight loss due to hunger.

So your metabolism slows down, am I correct? 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• from a slightly different perspective, does eating butter during IF prevent the positive effects described by Todd Becker due to hormesis? He has a good video series on IF on youtube. I have maintained ketosis and lost fat during the IF with butter, so I am ok with that aspect. I am currently doing Bp coffee in A.m, then will have some butter mid morn.. wondering if I should IF fast from butter for some period of time after arising...

Thanks!

• What about additives/flavors to the BP coffee?  I have been using cinnamon and I just got my first bag of Upgraded Vanilla.  Sometimes I like to use about 2-3 tablespoons of cooking coconut milk.

Any of these will stop ketosis? None of these are fats and I had heard that as long as it was in small quantities it wouldn't make a difference.

Studies have shown that the effects of fasting and only eating fat are almost identical, so even though the butter does technically "break the fast", you are still getting all of the fat burning benefits without the hunger.

Jake

Hm.. you told interesting thing.. :) I will try it in order to see if it's true. :)

Jake

Hey Jake - could you point me to any of those studies ?

• I frequently perform HIIT in a fasted state (early AM). I'm assuming that this will increase Lipolysis. If I consume BPC subsequent to the workout, will this stop or slow fat burning? If yes, would it be better to consume the BPC pre-workout or not at all?

• Let me re-phrase my question. Does consumption of dietary fat (e.g., Bulletproof Coffee) hinder or slow lipolysis that has been induced by HIIT? If true, what effect does consuming BPC have pre- and/or post-workout?

• More background on my question. I consumed BPC post workout for a week during which I practiced IF, had an overall caloric deficit, and was aggresively physically active (weight training, HIIT cardio, steady state cardio). There was no change in my BF% or BW over the course of this period.

Practicing IF and eating a bulletproof/paleo diet can lead to an overall caloric deficit fairly easily, ultimately resulting in metabolic damage. HIIT while in a fasted state has proven to encourage fat oxidation and increase and/or restore BMR. If in fact, consuming BPC hinders lipolysis (when consumed pre or post workout), my concern is that this could negate or limit the desired benefits (weight loss, etc). Since BPC is the cornerstone of the Bulletproof philosophy, I would assume that understanding its effect on lipolysis and metabolism would be of interest to any non-sedentary practitioners

• edited September 2013

I know that extended periods in a caloric deficit can lead to metabolic damage (slowed BMR, lower Leptin levels, etc). That isn't the point or the question. Forget the caloric deficit for a minute, since everyone seems to focus on that in here. The gist of the question is, will the body stop or slow lipolysis in the presence of dietary fat? If yes, then it would seem that the timing of BPC consumption is critical in relation to a workout that is intended to increase fat oxidation (e.g., HIIT).

• Really interesting. I am adding natural almond milk to the coffee.

@Jason Miller said:
    What about additives/flavors to the BP coffee?  I have been using cinnamon and I just got my first bag of Upgraded Vanilla.  Sometimes I like to use about 2-3 tablespoons of cooking coconut milk.

Any of these will stop ketosis? None of these are fats and I had heard that as long as it was in small quantities it wouldn't make a difference.

run a test and do two weeks with and 2 weeks without, record as many data points as possible ie. weight, bodyfat, energy levels, hunger times, emotional states etc., the easy answer is these items won't be an issue or stop ketosis, might stop autophagy, the top level bp coffee iteration is just butter and mct and goes down from there.

• As Dave states, drink BPC, does NOT break the fast

• Hi all,
    New to Keto and this forum. I put whipping cream in my morning tea - does that break the fast?
    Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file