Vitamins

edited August 2013 in The Bulletproof Diet

Hi,

I wanted to start a thread regarding Vitamins. I haven't seen anywhere on the site where Dave or the Bulletproof intern list what vitamins/supplements you should be taking with doses, etc., They go into great detail about many supplements, just not all in one place, it seems, or for average in-take and not in conjunction with weight loss protocols, etc. I also wanted to see what everyone else takes and why.

Here is what I have been taking daily:

Vitamin C 2-3g

Vitamin D - 10,000 IU - based on the 1,000 IU per 25lbs calculation

Magnesium - 500mg

Chlorella - 3-5g - Very rich in Vitamin A so I don't supplement in addition

Spirulina - 5-7g - ''

Melatonin - 5 or 10mg - this has helped me ease off off P.M. pills, which has been a bad habit of mine for years.

MCT Oil - 2-3Tbls

Coconut Oil 1Tbls

Here is what I have been thinking about adding:

Krill Oil - I want to make sure I dose this properly so I have been hesitant. I tend to eat fish two times a week(cod/salmon)

Activated Charcoal - dose??

Vitamin K2 - have not been able to find it yet.

Vitamin - B - still confused on this one. I think I am getting enough from leafy greens etc, but Dave takes them individually instead of using a complex, which makes me unsure of the doses of each(don't recall Dave giving the rundown on dosage before).

Anyways I would appreciate any feedback/suggestions on this, as well as what some other people are taking and why.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Hey Mark,

Curious to when you take your magnesium? I have found if I take it in the day time, I zonk out pretty hard. So I usually take about 250mg before bed. Any advice on your experience with it?
  • I take it at night. My wife actually recomended it to me in addition to Melatonin for my sleep issues. I definately take those both at night. I took Magnesium once during the day and it put me to sleep.
  • riparipa
    edited May 2012
    Good initiative on the thread. I would like it if we could summarize on the quality of the actual supplements as well.. for example which form of Magnesium is optimal and is MK-4 or MK-7 preferred in K2 etc.

Today I use:
    • Super K With Advanced K2 Complex from Life Extension :

Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione) 1000 mcg

Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-4) 1000 mcg

Vitamin K2 (as menaquinone-7) 100 mcg

Ascorbyl palmitate 25 mg

Other ingredients: medium chain triglycerides, gelatin, glycerin, olive oil, beeswax, purified water, carob.

Contains tree nuts (coconut).
    • Vitamin D3 from Healthy Origins (5,000 IU) - Vitamin D3 (from Lanolin) (as Cholecalciferol)

Other Ingredients: Pure cold pressed olive oil. Softgel consists of gelatin, glycerin, and water.
    • Super C Complex T.R 1000 from Great Earth

Sustained and buffered Vitamin C 1000 mg (from ascorbic acid, calcium L-ascorbate, L-ascorbyl-6-palmitate, rose hip extract and Acerola)

Pre-Oxy 5 mg formula (L-glutathione, L-selenomethionine)

Total bioflavonoid complex: 500 mg

Orange Bioflavonoids 100 mg

Lemon Bioflavonoids 100 mg

Lime Bioflavonoids 100 mg

Grape Bioflavonoids 100 mg

Tangerine Bioflavonoids 100 mg

Hesperidin / Quercetin Complex 50 mg

Routine 50 mg
    • Magnesium from Great Earth

Magnesium (elemental) 375 mg (oxide, TRAACS ® bisglycinate, salts of citric acid, gluconate, succinate, L-ascorbate, malate)

Turmeric 10 mg *(as curcuminoider 9,5 mg)
    • Potassium plus Iodine from NOW Foods

Iodine (from Potassium Iodide) 225 mcg

Sodium (from Sodium Alginate) 5 mg

Potassium (from Potassium Chloride and Iodide) 99 mg

Sodium Alginate 100 mg

Other Ingredients: Cellulose, Stearic Acid (vegetable source), Croscarmellose Sodium, Silica and Magnesium Stearate (vegetable source).
    • Selenium-semsc from Swanson Ultra (as L-Se-methylselenocysteine) (SeMSC)

Other ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose (plant fiber), gelatin, magnesium stearate.
    • Niacin-bound Chromium from Swanson Ultra (from ChromeMate® chromium polynicotinate)

Other ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose (plant fiber), gelatin, magnesium stearate.
    • Omega 3 (Eskimo-3 Pure) from Cardinova

One capsule contains 496 mg. 170 mg omega-3 fatty acids, of which 80 mg EPA and 54 mg DHA. Vitamin E 4,5 IU/gram.

Other ingredients: Lecithin, ascorbyl palmitate and aroma. Glycerol and gelatin in the capsule shell (gelatin derived from cattle)
    • Copper from Swanson Ultra (as copper chelate) 2 mg

I also use a "multivitamin" that I tend to skip when it has been consumed:
    • "Multiman" from Life-produkter

Vitamin A 400 mcg

Vitamin B1 3.3 mg

Vitamin B2 4.2 mg

Niacin 16 mg

Pantothenic Acid 12 mg

Vitamin B6 2.8 mg

Vitamin B12 3 µg

Biotin 125 µg

Folic acid 100 µg

Vitamin C 80 mg

Vitamin D 5 µg

Vitamin E 6 mg

Iodine 150 mcg

Inositol 2.5 mg

Calcium 125 mg

Chrome 40 µg

Magnesium 75 mg

Manganese 1 mg

Selenium 55 µg

Zinc 10 mg

Alpha-lipoic acid 5 mg

Lycopene 250 µg

Ingredients: calcium carbonate, fillers (microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium salts of fatty acids), magnesium oxide, L-ascorbic acid, zinc sulfate, nicotinamide, calcium D-pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, selenomethionine, D-alpha tocopheryl acetate, manganese gluconate, lycopene, lipoic acid, glazing agents (hydroxypropylmethylcellulose glycerol), riboflavin, pyridoxine, cyanocobalamin, retinyl acetate, myoinositol, chromium (III) chloride, cholecalciferol, pteroylmonoglutaminsyra, potassium iodide, D-biotin.

Anyone care to comment on my current choices? It would be nice to have a source of knowledge or which supplements that are of good quality and worth eating etc.
  • It's amazing how many Calcium supplements are out there and I can't even find K2 anywhere. Most people probably don't realize that they should be taking K2 for the effect they are looking for by taking Calcium. Most people have plenty of Calcium, it just doesn't get to where it needs to go.

I was in GNC yesterday and the guy behind the counter is telling me "Yeah, Vitamin K is not like really popular". He then proceeded to turn around and sell the crap out of a Calcium supplement to some lady.

You can imagine his head exploded when I asked if they carry Aniracetam. I said its a cognitive enhancer, sometimes sold in powder form. He said "Wow, what are you like a doctor?"

I proceeded to leave immediately.
  • 'Mark' wrote:

It's amazing how many Calcium supplements are out there and I can't even find K2 anywhere. Most people probably don't realize that they should be taking K2 for the effect they are looking for by taking Calcium. Most people have plenty of Calcium, it just doesn't get to where it needs to go.

I was in GNC yesterday and the guy behind the counter is telling me "Yeah, Vitamin K is not like really popular". He then proceeded to turn around and sell the crap out of a Calcium supplement to some lady.

You can imagine his head exploded when I asked if they carry Aniracetam. I said its a cognitive enhancer, sometimes sold in powder form. He said "Wow, what are you like a doctor?"

I proceeded to leave immediately.

Woah.. it's a bit scary actually.

Regarding Vitamin K, this is the one that I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Advanced-Softgels-90-Count/dp/B004GW4S0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336104155&sr=8-1
  • BrianHKerrBrianHKerr Quantified Biohacker
    Life Extension foundation is a great company and does some great research. My question to all of you is... have you even checked your levels of Vitamin D etc? I did daves dose of 1000 IU per 25lbs and I ended up being at a vitamin D level of 134... which is high...100 is the upper range. So please go get yourselfs checked on these things before you kill your kidneys/liver with all these supplements because you read somewhere they are good for you, or they do something you like.

Regarding Vitamin K2 .... Mk4 vs mk7. Only one is the effective form, not the other... you pretty much have to be supplementing the right one... however... you can only buy it online... which makes K2 freaking frustrating. FYI(They dont sell the good one at whole foods or GNC)

Also another note... Calcium, Magnesium and K2 should be taken with a bit of VitD so supplement them at the same time.
  • Update - I recently added

The Super K from Life Extensions (thanks Ripa for the suggestion).

B1 Thiamin - 100mg from Dave' s suggestion from a way old post, seems to be improving my afternoon energy levels.

Niacin - Up to 500mg Flushing. I can't decide if I love it or hate it.

Aniracitam - 750mg sometimes 1500mg.

Choline - Taken with Aniracitam, To help with absorption.

I still really need to add a fish oil into my daily, but I am struggling with the right levels to take. What is the proper omega-3 omega-6 ratio? I have heard Dave mention on several occasions that too much and too little is really bad, so I want to make sure I am getting the correct amount.
  • Good idea doing this forum Mark!

Morning
    • Preworkout - 5g BCAA (3:1:1)
    • 5g L-glutamine
    • 5g creatine monohydrate
    • MCT Fuel
    • During workout - sip Emergen-C Lite (1pkt)
    • Post workout - Vitamin Shoppe trace minerals in water (1tsp);5g CM
    • Post post workout - 30g Warrior Whey, basic Multi-V, D3 (4000 IU)
    • Fish oil (Nature Made) - 6g throughout day
    • At heavy feeding (6-8pm) - multi-V, fish oil
    • Bedtime - ZMA, 20g whey, trace minerals (definitely helps sleep)

Mostly, I'm geared up for sleep and muscle mass, but looking at what works for brain hacks interests me. Hope this helps.
  • EJ,

Could you explain the trace minerals in more detail. Is that some sort of multi-vitamin for just trace minerals? I have been looking to start taking them but didn't want to start taking another 5 pills, one for zinc, copper, selenium, etc.

thanks,

Mark
  • Sure. It's just VS "Trace Mineral Liquid." Nothing but trace minerals:

Mg.......250mg

Chloride.....690mg

Na....5mg

K.....3mg

Sulfate.....37mg

Li......395mcg

B.....370mcg

A friend recommended this to me years ago, but i didn't realize how great this supplement was until I got a free bottle. I suspect I was Mg deficient all along, most notably because of better sleep. When I run out of ZMA, I may just use this stuff. Plus, it's hella cheap and I firmly believe in starting low on the cost chart. Just be careful - add 1/2-1 tsp to 16oz. water. It smells and tastes like ass! I'm with you - I can't take any more pills than I already take. You could opt for a Mega Multi-mineral, just be sure it contains no Ca.

A few other notes:

I switched to Warrior Whey (6 weeks now), but I've noticed no difference over Designer Whey. Then again, I have had a lot of variables over that 6 weeks. Honestly, I love protein shakes, but doubt they are necessary if you can handle real food peri-workout.

CM is a well-researched supplement that does wonders. I use Optimum Nutrition.

As soon as I run out of fish oil, my skin breaks out and my shoulders ache.

Emergen-C Lite (1g carb) is my workout drink...sometimes 2 pkgs. on heavy day's.

I've found a great protein shake is 20-30g whey, 2 eggs, 1/4cup whipping cream, 2 tbsp MCT, cinnamon, ice water.

Mark, I can't remember what your workout schedule is like. Would you remind me?

Thanks.
  • Good topic. Seems you guys are pretty dialed in.

My supplementation:

Every other day(not on powerlifting training days): 2-3 doses of 500mg ascorbic acid each time,

ZMA( pretty good deal and its a way of getting in a superior magnesium source, some Zinc and extra B-6): 1 dose 40mg of Zinc, 400mg magnesium Aspartate, 26mg Vitamin B-6,

Magnesium Citrate powder from Now Foods every now and then: 1 teaspon: 600mg magnesium

Advaced Gamma E Complex, Now foods: 1/2 Serving( 1 capsule), prividing 200 IU of Vitamin E, 200mg of natural Mixed Tocopherols and 5mg [font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]of Mixed palm Tocotrienol Complex[/font]

Selenium Sinergy, Jarrow Formulas: 200mcg Selenium(methylselenocysteine), broccoli seed extratc, Vitamin B-2 and some Vitamin E, 3-4 times a Week,

Vitamin K2/D, from Thorne:

Activated Charcoal: 2-4 caps(280mg each) following a meal that contains conventional lean meat from chicken or pork,

I was considering supplementing with a B-Vitamin Complex, without folic acid, mainly to adress some dietary deficiencies in Thiamine and Folate. I found that Thorne Research have some formulations but i'm afraid of such high doses of Thiamine, Riboflavin and such.(often one capsuloe providing 100mg of some of those).

Would it be wiser to get just Folate and thiamin? Could you guys recomend some lower dose B Complex, without folic acid and such supradoses?