Hormone Help!

I have very high anxiety and poorly managed stress. I've grown up being a perfectionist and putting ridiculous amounts of pressure on myself in sports and school. Now, I'm desperately trying to get this extra weight off, but I fight my body the entire way because of stress management.

I have the HeartMath app and sensor and I try to use it when I'm in a state if high anxiety, but my habit is to turn to food. I continue to perpetuate this awful cycle but feel like I'm swimming in a bottomless pit.

In addition to this, I've been on the pill since I was 12 to regulate my cycle. I am now 25. I did not start the new packet for this month so I've been off it for a week, but I feel completely out of control. I bought The Hormone Cure book yesterday so I'm not far enough in it to determine what it will do for me.

I continually fight this battle and hope to find and answer but right now, I am wondering how I can make this commitment to using the HeartMath and cutting the grains and sugar for good. I feel like someone else is in the drivers seat right now. Help!

Comments

• "Gliadorphin (also known as gluteomorphin) is an opioid peptide that is formed during digestion of the gliadin component of the gluten protein. It is usually broken down into amino acids by digestion enzymes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliadorphin

Wheat is addictive and when I cut it out the was like 2 weeks of it being really rough. I was super sleepy and felt uncomfortable in my body. it will pass. Sugar is more addictive the heroin. Just stick with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyl9yM8mMmA&feature=share&list=PLIF5u-ZB4AWsbp6zdn4PxWH37dfQSUHLm

Here is a great functional diagnostic nutrition webinar that has a lot of details on balancing hormones

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Just make sure you do not keep indulgences like candy or other snacks around the house during your adjustment period.  I would also try to stay as busy as possible.  Being idle allows your mind to dwell on the difficulties of adjusting to a shift in nutrition lifestyle.  I would also focus on getting optimal sleep during this time.

Adherence can be the most difficult challenge of it at first but sticking through it until the end is often one of the strongest biohacks one can do because you are going to learn about your limits, tendencies, and thresholds.

• RodRod The Rodfather

Honestly, 

The first thing that set off the red flag was the PILL!!! That thing could be the source of all your problems, it WRECKS your hormones. I would wean off it and watch the magic happen in time. I would also buy "mood cure" by Julia Ross http://www.moodcure.com and The Hormone Cure by Dr. Sara Gottfriend http://www.amazon.com/The-Hormone-Cure-Naturally-Gottfried/dp/1451666942/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364833954&sr=8-1&keywords=dr.+sarah+gottfried 

I'm super confident this will set you in the right direction!!! Please K.I.T and report back.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I feel like I keep waiting around for support and understanding from the important people in my life, but I'm not getting it. I don't want cake shoved in my face because I chose not to eat it, I don't want to be called a fun-hater because I don't choose to participate socially in food and droning the way my family does. I don't want to be criticized for "believing everything I read" and letting it "mess with my head." It's sad, but true. And that makes sticking with my change a challenge.
  • Drinking*
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

You're going to find a distinct lack of support from people that don't like change. And change, as they say, has a habit of changing everything!

Both my father and one of my brothers started on BP Coffee / diet about two months ago after they saw how quickly I lost weight. A month later I saw them again, they'd both started losing weight (they had a fair bit to lose, as did I many moons ago). It was quite a good change. They both reported feeling more energetic too. Great!

I went for dinner this Sunday night for Easter. They both stopped the coffee since I last saw them "because I wasn't following the rest of the diet, and I just didn't feel good on it." Needless to say, they were back at their old weight again and loaded with excuses too.

Since finding this diet, my life has taken a big change. Not only am I looking better and feeling better, I'm actively interested in my own well-being. I also started studying again so I can set up my own practice in Sydney. I got sick of being stationary, both in life and in activity. My relationships all changed. I learnt quickly who was supportive and who wasn't. Change has a habit of changing everything. Just know this: if you're changing with intent to get better, even if bad things happen, it'll be for the best. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• Is the book the hormone cure by Dr Sara Gottfriend for males as well?

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Is the book the hormone cure by Dr Sara Gottfriend for males as well?

It doesn't appear so, but I haven't really looked at it. I think it's time to start a new thread...

No sorcery, just science. 

• RodRod The Rodfather

Is the book the hormone cure by Dr Sara Gottfriend for males as well?

No,  it's for women only right now =( 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• This book is very informative and super "girl power-esque." I'm not finished reading it yet but it's honest and empowering (like the part where she discusses the idiocy of Dr. Oz always telling women to have more sex to solve their hormonal problems). She's interviewed on podcast 39. A caveat: since you're 25, you might not relate to much of the book. It's geared for the 40+ crowd and a little toward the mid-thirties ladies as well. It still does a fine job explaining the hormone soup of the female sex. 

• Honestly, 

The first thing that set off the red flag was the PILL!!! That thing could be the source of all your problems, it WRECKS your hormones. I would wean off it and watch the magic happen in time. I would also buy "mood cure" by Julia Ross http://www.moodcure.com and The Hormone Cure by Dr. Sara Gottfriend http://www.amazon.com/The-Hormone-Cure-Naturally-Gottfried/dp/1451666942/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364833954&sr=8-1&keywords=dr.+sarah+gottfried 

I'm super confident this will set you in the right direction!!! Please K.I.T and report back.

Rod, you're so full of...information! Seriously, you give good leads  :-P

• RodRod The Rodfather

Rod, you're so full of...information! Seriously, you give good leads  :-P

Thank you so much.I'm just regurgitating things I hear and read. I'm glad I can help in any way! :-P

• I found The Mood Cure book to be very helpful. My cycle is very off after quitting the pill. This is frustrating and no fun, but I'm sticking to it in hopes that once my hormones are regulated my cycle will be as well.
  • You may find Danny Roddy's weblog on Ray Peat's work helpful. http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2012/5/14/estrogen-the-shit-show-hormone.html

• RodRod The Rodfather

I found The Mood Cure book to be very helpful. My cycle is very off after quitting the pill. This is frustrating and no fun, but I'm sticking to it in hopes that once my hormones are regulated my cycle will be as well.

Awesome, keep us updated!!!!

• I am also testing this hormone imbalance trend and it is somewhat confusing at times. W/o pharma care being involved, it is a journey of trial and error and being very in tune with your body is really the key to treating this.

I am mostly on BPD bc it's loaded with obvious health benefits bc weightloss for me now just doesn't seem like it's going to happen as fast as everyone. I am hopeful that sometime in the near future, the BPD will settle in body just right and that my metabolism will start to work normally once again.

I would ditch the pill and would start a supplemt of iodione. After getting off the pill I lost my cycle for 1 yr and I brought it back into my system by eating lots and lots of leaf green raw veggies and juicing with parsley, cilantro, and organice blackberries raspeberries, and strawberries. That told me that the pill did not regulate anything for me but instead it made my body dependent on it.

Here are some links to iodine info:

http://joannebrophy.com/programs/iodinetherapy.htm

http://english.pravda.ru/science/tech/01-04-2005/7987-iodine-0/

http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodineindex.html

Also- if you're worried for BC reasons then take Neem capsules. I know some people who take it and love that it has no hormonal side effects and it really does prevent preganacies (used in countries where women can't afford to buy BC). Check out the link below.

http://neemtreefarms.com/

Hope some helps us...and I'll be checking back on the topic to find out more. Best wishes everyone!

• Drinking*

The biggest issue I come across.. everything, I mean everything has drinking involved with it.  I experienced an anxiety attack as a result of a big night the next day- absolutely brutal.  Makes me want to quit all alchohol after that.  Then I start seeing what we have lineup up socially in the days and weeks ahead- its boozefest 2013 every week.  I woudnt hear the end of it without having a drink- thats what I am trying to prepare myself for.  In all honesty, its a national/worldwide epidemic, and most of us are on board without thinking twice.  

• Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

I agree with the talk about the Pill, you made the right choice. My girlfriend quit taking birth control pills after her own research with the possibility of permanent hormonal damage from taking it longer than 6 years. 

But, as far as stress management.. It really starts with how you begin your day. If you wake up in a stressed state, it releases adrenaline and sets you up for a "short fuse" for the rest of the day. Combine that with your aforementioned perfectionism and (probably) racing thoughts at night, and you will go crazy!

Change your alarm tone to a peaceful song or something that is intended to help you. SonicAid makes some great songs and CD's that are on iTunes for relaxation, concentration etc. It helps!

Essential oils nearby wouldn't be a bad idea, eucalyptus, orange and lavender are pretty good choices for most!! No patchouli, LOL.

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• i think i need to get the hormone cure as well. I took the "normal" pill with estrogen for maybe 4 years until it made me extremely sick after I started losing weight. Then I went on the progesterone only pill which i have been taking maybe for the last 5 years.

I have a lot of stress issues as well which I am working hard to stop. Meditation has been one of the most helpful so far. I am scheduled in to get some EEG neurofeedback in the near future which I hope will help as well (i was diagnosed with severe depression around 4-5 years ago stemming back from when I was a teenager)

With regards to support - I realised a long time ago, that if you want to go out on a limb in investigating ideas and concepts that are different, you will for the most part meet people who are not supportive - even the people closest to me do not get on board. Their reasons for that are up to them, but as long as they don't completely impede my mission, then I just have to get on with it.

Most things I have done in my life, drumming, judo, paleo/bulletproof diet move, even getting an excersise physiologist to help me out with my movement since I am so unbalanced, has met with such strange opposition from some people which I find hard to comprehend. I am pretty used to it now and just accept it as part of the deal. The best part is when they see you improve and then have to go and eat their own words with a side of humble pie.