Post Work-Out Sweet Potato Smoothie

this is one of my favorite things to eat/drink.  tastes like pumpkin pie if you get the ratios right:

one small baked or steamed, peeled sweet potato

a couple splashes of coconut milk

one raw egg

your own mixture of pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger,etc.)

a couple pinches of salt

water

stevia

blend (i use a cheapo stick blender cause it's what i got)

enjoy!

the stevia may not be necessary for you...i like to make it taste like dessert

Comments

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

needs protein

• the egg is protein, yes?

Might be a tasty shake but its not ideal for post workout.  It would still taste really good with some undenatured grass fed whey concentrate thrown in there.  It would probably taste even better actually.

• I love mixing pumpkin or butternut squash (I know not ideal for bullet proof but I eat em) with turkey or chicken - reminds me of thanksgiving and it's a great after work out fuel meal! 

• RodRod The Rodfather

this is one of my favorite things to eat/drink.  tastes like pumpkin pie if you get the ratios right:

one small baked or steamed, peeled sweet potato

a couple splashes of coconut milk

one raw egg

your own mixture of pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger,etc.)

a couple pinches of salt

water

stevia

blend (i use a cheapo stick blender cause it's what i got)

enjoy!

the stevia may not be necessary for you...i like to make it taste like dessert

If the blend is hot because of the steamed sweet potato, ditch the yolk, it will oxidize. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• i use cooled sweet potato.  so if i add another egg, would that be ideal for post-workout?  the whey sounds like it would taste good, too, but i'm curious if it's not considered ideal because of the amount of protein or the type of protein.  thanks!

• TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka

here is an article about eating raw eggs from Mercola: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/02/09/raw-eggs.aspx ... Soft boiled is probably the most optimal way to eat eggs even though cooking the whites denatures the protein.  I like to avoid egg yolks for 2+ hours after working out anyway.

Whey protein is the most bio available and efficient way to get protein post workout. You can also more accurately measure the whey protein to make sure you are getting enough. I like to get at least 20g in the 2 hour post workout window.

• it seems that dr. mercola is recommending raw eggs, not soft-boiled.  why do you avoid egg yolks right after working out?

• TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka
    edited April 2013
    Fats slow digestion and block the uptake of amino acids..(excluding MCT's) ...When I say "post workout" I'm talking about while I'm still in the locker room at the gym drinking protein, carbs, and creatine. Once I get home from the gym I eat egg yolks.
    edited April 2013

So now we are talking ideal PWO drink or the most yummy PWO drink?

Whey is ideal PWO.  If you want to be ideal you should have only protein PWO with a dose of sugar (preferably glucose) and MCT.  Thats it.  You are prolonging the absorption of the PWO protein by adding anything to it, especially something like sweet potato.

My PWO drink is just coconut water with 1 scoop of grass fed undenatured whey concentrate with a splash of MCT.  When its not PWO I add things like sweet potato, veggies. raw egg yolks, butter....