My Diet / Activity Level - Your Input Greatly Appreciated.

I am feeling a little frustrated. I very rarely ask for help and even more frustratingly I constantly change my food intake and exercise regimes, so it can be hard to evaluate progress ( if any ). I would greatly appreciate any input into my diet / activity.

My goal is simply to be as lean but muscular as possible. I am 45 years old and in the last two years have lost about 50 pounds in weight through calorie restriction and exercise. I am six foot tall and 178 pounds. I don't believe I will ever be 'ripped', but im frustrated by body fat, even though I think I am eating very well now ( Paleo ) to the best of my ability. I do have a cheat day, where I might go for dairy. I always try to avoid wheat. I might eat a curry with rice dish once a fortnight. I have just started IF, and feel like it might be beneficial. My activity level at the moment is 2 Crossfit classes a week and 3 5x5 (stronglift) sessions. I'm pretty good at getting to the gym. I take BCAA before and after all physical activity. I sometimes have a watery protein shake as well. one scoop. I think one problem I have is I treat all physical activity the same. Maybe a crossfit session is very different to a short sharp weights session.

Food

Morning

500ml of black coffee with sweetners. sometimes a tablespoon of MCT Oil. (I swing on whether MCT Oil is helping at all). I have done bulletproof coffee with MCT Oil, but again was not convinced about its benefit. I am happy to give it another go.

Around 12:30 I will have lunch. Typically it'll be two chicken breasts with skins, and maybe 200 -250g of vegetables (broccoli / cauliflower / sprouts ) with melted butter - maybe 75g. or two avocados

As I workout in the evenings my eating tends to go to pot. I'll eat again around 4:30 maybe some chicken and avocado or vegetables.

Post workout i'll have some Tuna or beef and maybe three eggs. I might try to have a baked sweet potato some nights before bed.

As im typing this it looks like a hell of a lot of food. Maybe im eating too much ? Carb refeeds and carb reloading are black arts to me. I could eat sweet potatoes all day every day, and am aware they are best consumed late in the day. 

Supplements I have calcium, magnesium, zinc, krill oil and omega 3 fish oil. I drink water regularly and only drink black coffee and sweetners ( stevia ). As a treat occassionally I will have 90% dark chocolate, maybe 40g a serving maybe twice a week.

I never drink alcohol and I don't smoke. 

The foods I have mentioned are the easiest ones available to me, so if possible I would like to stick to them, and seek advice on correct quantities / mixing etc.

Your input is very much appreciated.

Comments

• First off, you have made great progress congrats.  I would advise lowering the food intake after workouts.  How late are you working out?  Also, can you consider giving up sweetners?  I remember Ferris saying that even artificial sweeteners can spike insulin levels.  You gave up cream so you are 3/4 there I'd say...

• I really have begun to think that post workout foods unless you have absolutely destroyed yourself might be a false luxury. I don't workout particularly late. Im usually done by 7pm.  Sweeteners !! Yes, my last remaining vice. I just stare at the little tablets and can't believe they can cause so much havoc.....maybe im wrong !

I know that high quality fats from grass fed butter and animals aren't mean to affect fat loss, and maybe I just can't forget traditional advice on calorie restriction, but I do worry that im eating too much.

I don't eat wheat, corn, oats, at all if possible. I don't eat nuts or beans. I sometimes eat rice. I sometimes have some dairy. I sometimes, but rarely, eat fruit. I have the bulletproof infographic on my kitchen wall and do my utmost to stay in the right zone 90% of the time. 

Maybe I just have to up my game

• I agree, on joining this forum I started doing carb loading after workouts and upping my fat and guess what?  I am 10 lbs heavier and no stronger.  Yes, my chest is larger but I certainly have higher fat %.  I am lowering my consumption levels to get the fat % I want and think the same thing is necessary perhaps for you.  You have to tinker with the routine to get the results you want.

• I am cutting out sweeteners as of today ! Wish me luck. Gonna reign in butter and avocado consumption too. See how that works. Gonna go with MCT oil and coffee in the morning as part of my IF, as I believe that promotes ketosis.

There are so many educated and knowledgeable users on this forum. What doesn't seem to be acknowledged is that there is no one size fits all solution for all people. There simply isn't. I also know that up until recently, I had pretty badly abused my body and God only knows what damage that might have done.

• I think the biggest problem you're facing is - you're 6' tall and 178 lbs...

Abs on a skinny dude is like big tits on a fat chick.

You're 45, I would start with getting a hormone blood panel ran and seeing if your numbers are where they should be. And where they should be doesn't mean in the VERY BOTTOM of "normal".

Once you know you're good with that, and if they were low you optimize them, I would then start with trying to pack on some muscle/strength.

• Im skinny ? Wow, ive never been called skinny. Hormone Blood Panel ? I'll look into it

• Hormone Blood Panel seems to be a US term. Would it be a general hormone blood test I want or am I looking to test some hormone types specifically ?

• Hormone Blood Panel seems to be a US term. Would it be a general hormone blood test I want or am I looking to test some hormone types specifically ?

You want to look at your total and free testosterone - Testosterone, Free (Direct), Serum With Total Testosterone, Luteinizing Hormone(LH), Estradiol.

You live in the UK? Maybe you could go see an endocrinologist with that 'free' healthcare. 

I'd say low test is an epidemic now days, and if you're out of your 20's there's a good chance due to environmental reasons you'll be low. Fixing it will have the greatest physic enhancing impact - plus it's unhealthy being low. 

If you are from the UK or that area, there's a reason why you think 178 at 6' isn't skinny... I know a few guys from the UK, they're either skinny or skinny fat, and they obviously have low test. Something to think about.

• Yeah it's 'free' but unless you're obviously ailing from something there is extreme reluctance to test. What could I say to prompt my doctor to test me for testosterone ? 

I think im used to being bigger. Above 200 pounds, so psychologically i'm still that size... I guess.

Thank you for your assistance, it's greatly appreciated

• Yeah it's 'free' but unless you're obviously ailing from something there is extreme reluctance to test. What could I say to prompt my doctor to test me for testosterone ? 

I think im used to being bigger. Above 200 pounds, so psychologically i'm still that size... I guess.

Thank you for your assistance, it's greatly appreciated

Yeah unfortunately service suffers when the government pays for it - we're just now starting to experience that in the US.

Check out this link - http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Symptoms.htm they have some good descriptions and explanations. I would suggest reading up on what the symptoms are and describe those to your doctor, even if you are asymptomatic you could have been low for so long you didn't even realize it. Conversely if you are symptomatic and the numbers are 'normal', your doctor should treat the symptoms and not just the number. And remember, the very bottom of "normal" is not acceptable.

• Well the service has been 'free' here for living memory so I have know no difference. It actually makes it quite awkward to find the testing services often mentioned on US based forums. Outside of London, we basically don't have the sort of testing clinics that exist in the US.

Got an appointment with my general doctor here. Going to say I have muscle wastage and feel fatigued. I do believe I may well have low testosterone.

• Well the service has been 'free' here for living memory so I have know no difference. It actually makes it quite awkward to find the testing services often mentioned on US based forums. Outside of London, we basically don't have the sort of testing clinics that exist in the US.

Got an appointment with my general doctor here. Going to say I have muscle wastage and feel fatigued. I do believe I may well have low testosterone.

Make sure they give you the numbers. If the tests come back and they say everything is "normal", you could be in the very bottom of the "normal" range, additional they should treat the symptoms and not necessarily the numbers alone. So unless you're middle/high range, I wouldn't let them tell you everything is "OK" just because.

Good luck!

• Make sure they give you the numbers. If the tests come back and they say everything is "normal", you could be in the very bottom of the "normal" range, additional they should treat the symptoms and not necessarily the numbers alone. So unless you're middle/high range, I wouldn't let them tell you everything is "OK" just because.

Good luck!

Exactly, mine was 11 points away from the lowest end of the "Healthy" range. As an over 200 lb muscular male that is not "normal"