Mct Oil Makes Me Dizzy / Disgorge... What Does This Mean?

BPC, with only butter: No problem, once or twice per day.

BPC, with butter and MCT oil: No problem... once per day, for a couple of weeks... THEN I began feeling *a little* light-headed.

-- I always use 1 cup water, 1.5-to-2tbsp beans, 2tbsp "Garden of Life" coconut oil, and 2tbsp KG-Butter.

Once I felt a little light-headed in the morning from BPC with MCT, I then had another BPC with MCT after lunch that day, and that evening I felt horribe.

-- Dizzy, nauseous, eventually vomiting... I felt like the coffee "really went to my head"

I didn't realize the coffee caused that, so I had a 2nd cup a few days later, and the same thing happened, except this time I was able to avoid vomiting, and also A CONSPICUOUS "BURNING" ODOR caught my attention.

-- I realized that "burning smell" was almost certainly due to my body's saturation with MCT oil.

I recall that NOW Foods brand MCT oil had a strong burnt odor to it. The MCT oil sold here, has no odor... But... when feeling ill effects of too much MCT, the odor emerges through sweat glands, perhaps.

I've since had BP-coffee with only butter: No problem.

MCT Oil Toxicity? This is all I can find... I doubt I have any such disease.

http://www.health-n-sport.com/energy/mct_gold_medium_chain_triglyceride_oil_1_liter_33_8_fl_oz.htm

In people with advanced cirrhosis, large amounts of MCTs may cause increased amounts of medium chain fatty acids in the blood. This may be due to the compromised liver function and clearance of toxic materials from the liver. Increased amounts of fatty acids have been reported to be associated with reversible coma.

Is my observed MCT oil toxicity evidence of a larger physiological problem?

Comments

• If a liquid-state oil smells "off", and makes me nauseous after consuming even a little bit, I usually suspect that it has gone rancid. Have you been storing your MCT oil in the refrigerator? Solid-state coconut oil doesn't go rancid, but I think it is possible for liquid-state MCT oil to go rancid. If that is the case, throw it away, buy new stuff, and keep it in the refrigerator after opening.

I am not a physician or nutritionist, though.
  • I don't have the Freidlander MCT oil in the fridge... It has no odor.

NOW Foods MCT smelled bad when it was freshly opened. I poured it out, and am re-using its glass bottle.
  • SeanSean
    edited April 2012
    Turns out this effect was mostly from taking too much Huperzine-A.

Without MCT oil, and with excessive (500+mcg) Huperzine-A, the dizziness was almost as bad, but the upset stomach was gone.

An interaction between these two. For me anyway.
  • You were experiencing acetylcholine toxicity - the huperzine a is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Lucky you figured that out. Long term excess acetylcholine can make you feel like crap for 6 months. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Hey guys, so my wife experiences the same symptoms from even 1 tablespoon of MCT oil.

It's unclear (to me): You were supplementing with Huperzine-A and that combined with the MCT oil is what was causing your problem? Is that accurate?

If so, did ending your Huperzine-A supplement resolve your symptoms of sleepiness, dizziness, and nausea when taking MCT Oil?

Does anyone have info on why one would feel sleepiness, dizziness, and nausea from 1 Tbl Spoon of MCT Oil (is that too much to start, should she just completely avoid it, what is going on in the body, etc etc)

any help here would be appreciated.

thanks Jeffrey
  • Turns out Hup-A magnified this effect, but isn't the primary source of it.

No Hup-A, yet MCT oil still makes me dizzy, weak... Almost "faint", which is unusual -- I only feel this way when I eat hamburger meat with lots of fat in it and nothing else. But the dizziness is subtly different with MCT: I don't get the urge to eat carbs, nor would doing so instantly cure the weak/dizzy feeling as it does when this comes from a high-fat meal with protein but zero carbs.

I haven't had any Huperzine-Alpha in MONTHS, and I took 1tbsp of MCT oil in coffee this morning (I drink coffee only once every couple weeks or so).

I wonder if this is a gut-permeability issue.

I've also seen here a mention of the antimicrobial effects of MCT, perhaps causing herxheimer reaction... But that seems less likely for me -- the parallels between MCT-dizziness and high-fat-meal-dizziness directs my suspicion toward hormone and dysglycemia issues.
  • Maybe stick to putting coconut oil in your coffee instead of MCT oil if you can process that better. Though I'm not sure how coconut flavored coffee tastes.
  • Coconut oil certainly tastes better, if it can be detected at all, and causes no disturbances in the force.

Still, it'd be nice to benefit from MCT oil, with or without coffee.. But MCT oil always produces dizziness, nausea, and a uniquely upset though without any threat of vomiting. It's kind of a stomach-twisting feeling. I figure this is related to leaky-gut somehow -- I'm still recovering from eggs (and also some stuff in indian food) being the prime allergens that caused me chronic intestine inflammation.
  • Pierre EklundPierre Eklund pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    I got nauseous when I put it in my whey drink in the evening. Works better with real food or in the morning. I guess my body has adapted now. Use 15ml for one cup of coffee. Drip it on food like meat/veggies or 15-30ml in sauces and Dave's soups.
    Please email me instead of PM

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
  • Apparently I'm not alone.  Feeling dizzy may diminish as the body / brain adapts to using more ketones....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=574899071

I've experimented more and found that BOTH Coconut oil and MCT oil will make me dizzy.  Just takes more coconut oil to reproduce the MCT-->dizzy effect.

• Hi Guys!

I am not taking a Huperzine supplement.

But, I get this strange dizzy feeling in my head -- not quite dizzy, something like light-headedness from MCT or Brain Octane in my coffee.

What's up with that?  Anyone else??

• Yeah, me too! I came on the forum specifically to ask this question. I've been following BP hacks for a couple of years but when I drink BP coffee with Brain Octane oil I get dizzy and light headed. Sometimes I need to lie down, lol! So, I have stalled on the BP coffee hack. I'm a 53 yr old woman in good physical shape but chronic health/gut/auto-immune/adrenal issues (that I am chronically working on). Is it that I have not adjusted to the ketones as is being suggested or something else? Ideas?

• It could be. But it sounds like it is causing low blood pressure for some reason. It could also be irritating your sensitive tummy and causing histamine release. Do you get light headed from eating anything else?

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• It could be. But it sounds like it is causing low blood pressure for some reason. It could also be irritating your sensitive tummy and causing histamine release. Do you get light headed from eating anything else?

hello, sorry i quite didn't get it. what is that are you referring at talking about low pressure? than you
  • SystemSystem mod
    edited September 2015

Coconut oil certainly tastes better, if it can be detected at all, and causes no disturbances in the force.

Still, it'd be nice to benefit from MCT oil, with or without coffee.. But MCT oil always produces dizziness, nausea, and a uniquely upset though without any threat of vomiting. It's kind of a stomach-twisting feeling. I figure this is related to leaky-gut somehow -- I'm still recovering from eggs (and also some stuff in indian food) being the prime allergens that caused me chronic intestine inflammation.

is it XCT OIL that one you are talking about or "plain" mct? and please, can you share how is it going now? thank you

Thanks so much for your ideas!

I definitely don't get light headed eating anything else. I do have low-ish blood pressure though and can get light headed occasionally when I stand up but now that I eat more good quality salt that rarely, rarely happens. I don't think I have an over reactive histamin response as I tested for that recently using a scratch test on my belly. I really don't understand much about the histamin reaction thing, though, so I'm not really sure.

I tried some BP coffee with 1 tspn of Brain Octane oil yesterday with no adverse reaction so maybe I just need to go slow? I would like to know what's going on.

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.
    edited September 2015

I do 1 to 2 Tablespoons of Brain Octane for my coffee at work. sometimes I pour over my line marker(now have a mini Tblspn beaker) and if I drink the coffee too fast I get a definite head change. it feels like low blood pressure* (though does effect it) but isn't. I've had it checked at our nurses station.

My best return is if I sip on the coffee over an hour or so. I top the mug off with hot water as morning goes. 

If i've had breakfast or have something with the BP coffee, I can down a cup quick without getting an odd head change.

just some of my observations having BP coffee for the past two+ years while doing BP IF, BPD, or just eating whatever.

done right and consumed at a rate correct for me, BP coffee is the closest thing i've found to provigil. 

for a non pharmaceutical it's great.*

• Yeah, thanks. I've been going slow and not getting the weird dizzy sensation. I tried 1 tspn, then 2 and today 3 tspns. It's been fine....and delicious! I added some BP chocolate powder today, too. OMG! So creamy and delicious! Even without any stevia or any sweetener of any kind at all.

• I wanted to share some thoughts with everyone on this... about a year and half or two year ago now I have a very distinct life memory of sitting at work talking to once of my superiors when suddenly my heart began beating out of my chest. I felt dizzy, short of breath and out of body... it was a horribly unpleasant feeling. I could barely see straight. I remember breathing deeply and trying to focus on the words my superior was saying to me. I blamed this on the MCT oil in my BPC because when I cut it out and replace it with coconut oil the incidents ceased. 

I recently had this exact same feeling for the first time since but did not have any MCT oil... instead what I realized is that the prior three days I had been consuming a standard american diet... then on this particular day i had only BPC in the AM and then an avocado salad for lunch... what I believe was happening in both cases was a rebound into ketosis that onset too quickly. You can check various health and wellness forums about the side effects of entering ketosis too quickly and dizziness and drops in blood sugar are listed as common. What can help prevent this is additional mineral consumption. I have found that eating more avocado (potassium) and drinking pellegrino (magnesium) help alleviate the dizzy and weak feelings.

• edited February 7

When I take 1 Tablespoon of plain Brain Octane I frequently feel dizzy, weak, nauseous and can't focus my thoughts to differing extents. The first couple of times I thought it was low blood sugar but it is not. It can be after food or on an empty stomach, with coffee or without. I'm usually already in ketosis. I've been using Brain Octane 2-4 times a day for over a year. I have no health problems.

I can't recommend Brain Octane to friends until I know how to correct this and can tell them in case it happens to them. Could it have anything to do with the colon? I also have more difficulty than my son & husband getting into and staying in ketosis.

Dave, you must be able to figure this out since Brain Octane is your most valuable biohack!!