Fasting Before An Evening Wod

I'm considering doing a bulletproof intermittent fast before my WOD which usually happens around 7 or 8 pm.

- BP coffee throughout the day to sustain 'fullness' 

- My usual pre-workout shake (BCAA's, L-Glutamine, Creatine, Water...) 

- Workout ~7/8:00 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this method or speculation on how it may affect performance? 

Comments

• when are you starting the fast? I've done the RX intermittent fast from 9pm the day before til workout at 4 or 5, feel good and set some PRs, but i found that I need to have some food.. .so i ate a couple eggs or BP whey for lunch so I would stay in ketosis. you may have more issues with post-wod nutrition... If you are training very hard, as i was, you may find that you need some carbs after wod so you can do the next days workout...I don't like to eat a lot late in day ... If your only doing this one day a week or so...doesnt really matter..

• when are you starting the fast? I've done the RX intermittent fast from 9pm the day before til workout at 4 or 5, feel good and set some PRs, but i found that I need to have some food.. .so i ate a couple eggs or BP whey for lunch so I would stay in ketosis. you may have more issues with post-wod nutrition... If you are training very hard, as i was, you may find that you need some carbs after wod so you can do the next days workout...I don't like to eat a lot late in day ... If your only doing this one day a week or so...doesnt really matter..

I figure to start the fast the night before around 8 or 9pm (after the last meal, obviously). Needless to say I don't train well on a fairly full stomach so I figure if I were to keep my nutrition before the workout to bare essentials (healthy fats, water, coffee) for optimal brain performance then this would probably translate to optimal physical performance. 

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Depends on your workout.  I would say its not wise to do crossfit workouts in a fasted state.

• Depends on your workout.  I would say its not wise to do crossfit workouts in a fasted state.

Disagree... this is an "intermittent (daily) fast.. some have done very well with crossfit and I.F. ... because of late workouts, D.M. will have to adjust... I would have a meal at 3-4pm, and another meal after wod...

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

when are you starting the fast? I've done the RX intermittent fast from 9pm the day before til workout at 4 or 5, feel good and set some PRs, but i found that I need to have some food.. .so i ate a couple eggs or BP whey for lunch so I would stay in ketosis. you may have more issues with post-wod nutrition... If you are training very hard, as i was, you may find that you need some carbs after wod so you can do the next days workout...I don't like to eat a lot late in day ... If your only doing this one day a week or so...doesnt really matter..

Eggs or Whey protein would knock you out of ketosis wouldn't it. Thought protein in anything but really small amounts is gonna knock you out.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
    edited April 2013

I understand what intermittent fasting is.  If you eat eggs or whey protein for lunch than you aren't in a fasted state for your workout.  Ketosis and a fasted state are 2 different things.

I use IF and train quite regularly and hard but that doesn't mean I train fasted.