Eating Bulletproof at the Workplace - need tips

Given that leftovers are discouraged, microwaves are discouraged, and most of us don't have a Flavorwave at work, I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on how to stay bulletproof at the office. My tricks thus far:

-Grass Fed butter (can be smuggled in a yogurt cup for judgmental co-workers)

-99% cacao Lindt chocolate bars

-Avocados (come in nature's handy carrying case with no cooking required)

-Protein powders from bulletproof.com

-Drinks: Green tea + water

...these are all great snacks, but they don't add up to a sustainable, 5+ day/week routine for me, especially if i'm pulling really long hours. What other tips do you guys have?

Comments

• I work in a corporate environment so I totally understand the need to have some quick and easy bulletproof meals that you can bring to the office that you don't need to heat in a microwave. Here's my list:

1) Salad with Grass Fed Steak or Chicken or Smoked Wild Sockeye Salmon. Grill the Steak or Chicken the night before, throw it in with some green leaf lettuce, romaine etc, peppers, cucumbers and make a salad dressing with Olive Oil and a little Sea Salt or MCT Oil and Sea Salt. You can get crafty with this but I like quick and easy-lettuce and a bulletproof protein and some healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, mct oil etc)

2) Hard Boiled Eggs

3) Coffee - hard to make a truly BP coffee at work unless you can bring your own beans, grind and brew them in the office. Even still, a regular coffee with Grass Fed Butter is better than nothing so just bring some Grass Fed Butter and some MCT Oil to work in a little container and then mix it up with a spoon.

4) Fast - I am testing this out right now. If I eat in the AM, let's say 5:30 and have a BP Coffee, then I can fast the entire work day and break the fast 12 hours later around 5:30/6:00 when I get home. So far I'm digging the level of energy I have when I fast and I feel really good. I do seem to get a bit hungrier than normal late at night though.

5) Protein Shake - A scoop or two of protein and some water or coconut milk or both.

6) Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon (the smoked kind you just have to keep refrigerated and can eat right out of the package). I get mine from Trader Joe's - it's about $6. Bring some gum or mouthwash though!

I'll try to think of some more but those are the typical meals for me.
  • I went to the Goodwill thrift store and bought a crock pot for work because I did not want to continue using the microwave. I make many delicacies in the crock pot in the morning and they cook until lunch. I am now the envy of co-workers because of the wonderful smell. I also brought in a cheap blender for making my bulletproof coffee. I am still sneaking around when using grass fed butter and coconut oil in hopes that no one sees me and judges me or gives me health advice.

Another note, my expensive gf butter is in the company refrigerator and people help themselves to it when they need or want butter. I do not want to put my name on the package but I also do not want to share because of the expense. Any ideas?
  • Sherry, I like your crock pot idea. About the butter thieves, I would just hide it in a plastic grocery bag, maybe inside a sandwich storage container (if you keep the butter in the foil, bpa shouldn't be an issue).

Tim, good ideas on the food items. very curious about the 12 hour fast. let us know how that goes.
  • BrianHKerrBrianHKerr Quantified Biohacker
    Something I am testing out,

4 egg yolks 2egg white

3 scoops of Collagen Protein

1 scoop of L-Glutamine

Water

Blend them to a nice smoothy... tastes ok... I use a little coffee from my morning Bulletproof coffee still in the blender to add a nice flavor....

That's my lunch... add an avocado if you want more calories...
  • TimMurphy wrote:
    I work in a corporate environment so I totally understand the need to have some quick and easy bulletproof meals that you can bring to the office that you don't need to heat in a microwave. Here's my list:

1) Salad with Grass Fed Steak or Chicken or Smoked Wild Sockeye Salmon. Grill the Steak or Chicken the night before, throw it in with some green leaf lettuce, romaine etc, peppers, cucumbers and make a salad dressing with Olive Oil and a little Sea Salt or MCT Oil and Sea Salt. You can get crafty with this but I like quick and easy-lettuce and a bulletproof protein and some healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, mct oil etc)

2) Hard Boiled Eggs

3) Coffee - hard to make a truly BP coffee at work unless you can bring your own beans, grind and brew them in the office. Even still, a regular coffee with Grass Fed Butter is better than nothing so just bring some Grass Fed Butter and some MCT Oil to work in a little container and then mix it up with a spoon.

4) Fast - I am testing this out right now. If I eat in the AM, let's say 5:30 and have a BP Coffee, then I can fast the entire work day and break the fast 12 hours later around 5:30/6:00 when I get home. So far I'm digging the level of energy I have when I fast and I feel really good. I do seem to get a bit hungrier than normal late at night though.

5) Protein Shake - A scoop or two of protein and some water or coconut milk or both.

6) Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon (the smoked kind you just have to keep refrigerated and can eat right out of the package). I get mine from Trader Joe's - it's about $6. Bring some gum or mouthwash though!

I'll try to think of some more but those are the typical meals for me.

Good thoughts, Tim. The sockeye salmon in particular is one I'll try at the office. I have some questions about a couple of your other ideas:

On your tip #1, grass fed steak cooked the night before, Dave had warned against mycotoxins forming in leftovers in his mycotoxin podcast. I wonder what the threat level really is here if you're taking meat fresh from the grill to the fridge for +/- 12 hours (i'd certainly like to chance it and add some variety to my daytime diet if it's feasible). Anyone have deeper knowledge of this subject?

Also I think that the chicken and hard boiled eggs would not be considered bulletproof due to the oxidized fats. (Chicken is almost into the red zone on the bulletproof chart). Anyone know how much the fats oxidize in soft boiled eggs - as opposed to hard boiled?
  • Maybe you could but a eggboiler and softboil eggs att work? There are some small cheap ones
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • edited May 2014

I have the same issue. Was thinking about a protein shake with mct oil. I wonder though, do you have to store MCT in the fridge? Have been trying fasting, but this did end up a few times in binging after work and I am sick of it. Like I am considering taking an apple and protein shake with me to work, but let's face it, that's not Bulletproof. 

Something like cucumber and some grass fed butter+coconut oil is an option too. Can add it to some boiled water at work, but since I can't drink coffee I am not too sure about that.

• Considering my evening meal consists of 5-6 servings of different veggies all steamed into my bamboo steamer, i have 2 tiers on it and chuck the same amount in the other one. I chuck the second batch in my work container with a big chunk of butter, it all melts together and i stir it up, once it's cooled the veggies are all nicely coated in the butter. I then just chuck on another serving of whatever protein i had (lamb, salmon fillet or tin of sardines) with a some MCT oil and that's it. Tales no longer than it took to make dinner and it's the perfect BP lunch. I've never been one to microwave my lunches either and the solidified butter on the veggies tastes amazing! my work colleagues are either impressed or baffled as to why i eat so much "rabbit food" but screw them!

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

Salads are easy and not offensive. Romain (half to a whole head), EVOO, MCT/BO, raw/lightly baked walnuts, 0.5-1.0 oz pungent cheese (sparingly--try Kerrygold Dubliner), avocado, HB eggs, leftover steak/hamburger (use the drippings from the night before for dressing), seasoning to taste, crunchy green veggies, etc. Leftover meat can be frozen and left in the salad bowl during the day. Any of those items can be added/subtracted as you see fit.

Like another poster suggested, I've also done one day of IF a week so all that means is no lunch. I usually workout this day using HIT and haven't noticed any loss in performance.

• This one is not for those who wish to avoid being judged. I used to love celery and peanut butter, and instead have been doing celery, almond butter, and either Kerrygold or coconut oil along with it. Fills me up pretty well. The almond butter probably isn't the best idea there is, but it sure beats Skippy.

Men are undoubtedly more in danger from prosperity than adversity.  For when matters go smoothly, they flatter themselves, and are intoxicated by their success.  ~John Calvin

• Will try 50g coconut oil next morning and see if I can survive at work without food.
  • There is no need to store MCT in the refrigerator.

I have the same issue. Was thinking about a protein shake with mct oil. I wonder though, do you have to store MCT in the fridge? Have been trying fasting, but this did end up a few times in binging after work and I am sick of it. Like I am considering taking an apple and protein shake with me to work, but let's face it, that's not Bulletproof. 

Something like cucumber and some grass fed butter+coconut oil is an option too. Can add it to some boiled water at work, but since I can't drink coffee I am not too sure about that.

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats
    I just BP IF through the day, I bring a glass container and leave my butter in the fridge. MCT in my desk drawer. I buy a starbucks then mix it in a 20oz tumbler using a battery power frother.
  • I make a carton full of soft to hard boiled eggs every Sunday night and keep that at work all week. I also bring 5 cans of wild caught salmon, avocados, frozen veggies (using the microwave to cook because I'm not worried about that), butter for veggies and whatever else sounds good. Hard boiled eggs are great in salads as are avocados. I usually make an egg and salmon salad with avocado and fresh veggies. I'm known as the egg guy at work :-)
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Fasting is your friend.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!