Summary Of My (Continuing) Journey To Attain Bulletproof Happy Life

Hey yall, hoping for some feedback here on what I’m doing as far as diet/supplementation, what I need to consider in your guys’ view as far as next steps I can take to continue the improvement of my health. A bit of an exploration into my life this will be, though I intend to write it up well enough that other people searching through the forum can find useful info for themselves as well.

Right now I’m tracking a few issues, namely:

- constipation, having about one BM per day in the morning, but I find myself straining. I feel backed up, sometimes a bit distended even. (I must mention though that, for the most part, eating BP has graced my life with the elusive daily one-wiper - thank you Dave Asprey!!)

- dark circles under eyes seem to have returned

- dandruff/excess skin on my scalp has also returned

/ Food /

7am:

1tsp Himalayan sea salt in water upon waking

1.5-2cups BP coffee (without MCToil so far b/c I’m still waiting to get it in the mail)

12-1pm:

I work at a deli and although I’ve been avoiding eating pretty much everything there, some things still find their way into my mouth, like bacon, carnitas, the occasional piece of grilled chicken thigh, possibly some pastured but grain-finished beef tri tip, and other crap I’ll now be totally cutting out because I quit that shitty job earlier today, in the words of Bravehart: FREEEDOM!! 

5-8pm:

I cook for myself, almost never eat out. I’m lucky to have a very awesome connection to a nearby 100% grassfed beef/poultry/eggs/pork operation run with Joel Salatin’s farming model, which I’m immensely thankful for. I have a buddy that works the farm stand there who hooks me up. I still stick with the less in-demand cuts b/c I need to be thrifty, I buy liver, heart, tongue, chuck roast, bones, shanks, some pork parts like the feet and ears and belly b/c I like to cook and have learned how to make magic with what most modern people turn their nose up at. Those less-than-meaty cuts also have the most flavor, lend themselves best to slow, wet, low-temperature cookery which is green-side BP cookery, and eating pig’s feet makes me feel like a barbarian which I enjoy occasionally and in moderation.

Bone stock is a staple, I always have a mason jar of that in the fridge that I use in everything. I’ve been eating a lot of venison since Xmas since I had a source and one animal can feed one person for a long time. I stay on the green side of the scale in terms of vegetables, cauliflower, broccoli, chard, kale, carrots, parsley and cilantro, fresh herbs, etc. I’ve been doing a bit of wild harvesting, mostly stinging nettle which makes a great cooked green, tea, medicinal tincture, even heard that you can dry it, powder it, and put it in capsules or into shakes, something I have not tried. Recently I’ve cut out the onions, garlic, shallots, the whole allium family, which is hard since they’re so prevalent and basic in almost all culinary traditions and they taste delicious. I’ll probably have 2 smallish sweet potatoes per week, rotated with butternut squash or pumpkin to get the carbs.

A slab of kerrygold goes on top of practically everything, and I cook with cold pressed coconut oil, EVolive oil, and kerrygold, maybe some pastured pork lard here and there. 

One meal I’ve been doing a lot is what I call super fat smoothie. It’s half a can of coconut milk, 2 tbsp coconut oil, an avocado, a raw pastured egg yolk or 2, frozen mixed berries, some almond butter, occasionally a tbsp non-gmo soy lecithin granules, a tbsp of lemon-flavored fish oil, a squeeze of actual lemon juice, stevia, and a little pink sea salt. Crazy sounding but really good. I’m concerned about developing a coconut allergy though, so I’ve cut back on these (was having one every day for about a week) until I learn more about the integrity of my GI system, maybe taking BetaineHCL with things will help minimize potential leaky-gut issues?

I also eat maybe 3 bars a week of 85% dark chocolate, green & blacks or divine. 

/ Supplement routine /

Upon waking:

6000IU D3 [Genestra] daily

1g vitamin C [Thorne, Now] daily

600mg NAC [Now] one week on, one week off (just started this, interested in supporting liver function, glutathione production, don’t know if its smart to have added this w/o understanding things more)

4mg Astaxanthin [Now] sporadically (bought because it was on sale - heard about it via Dave talking abt. krill oil, I don’t know if I should continue this either)

Occasionally with meals I’ll take some Betaine HCL with pepsin, usually around 4 capusles ~2500mg

Before bed:

300mg Magnesium [Magnelevures] daily (contains some B vitamins, 20mg L-glutathione, 200mg taurine)

200mg Potassium Citrate [Now] daily

15mg Zinc [Scientific Botanicals] less than once /week

1g vit C [Now] daily

A few days ago I scored a bottle of Vinpurazine, a huperzine A and vinpocetine herbal supplement. Brand is Health Concerns - Chinese Traditional Formulas. I don’t really know how to take this stuff or what I need to know about it, aka I need to do more research, but I’ve taken one about 3 different days with BP coffee and possibly have noticed a slight cognitive enhancing effect, but not much more than a placebo-type effect, and hard to differentiate from the effects of the upgraded coffee + butter which is new to me. Does anyone know about this brand? According to the label it contains just rosemary extract, club moss extract, and vinpocetine, but that’s according to the label.

/ other stuff /

3 nights ago started putting up a blanket in my windows and blacking out my room for sleep. Now I wake up pretty heavy and groggy, like I’m waking out of a coma. Although this morning the feeling was less than after the first night. I must be catching up on deep sleep? Don’t have no zeo as of yet so I really have no idea what sleep is doing. I also haven’t had vivid, memorable dreams in months. I go to bed typically between 10 and 11 and wake up automatically at 6-6:30.

I try to drink at least 3L of water a day but lately I let myself get somewhat dehydrated at work + the addition of coffee = I need to drink moar water. The standard formula for amount of water intake per day which I was taught is your body weight in lbs /2 in liquid oz, so I weigh 153lbs and I need to drink ~75oz or just over a half gallon of water every day. Bulletproof or no?

I’m not a drinker but I’ll occasionally have some vodka, never beer sadly as I used to love good IPAs. Have largely stopped smoking tobacco, although I still from time to time enjoy an american spirit.

I’ve had 2 blood panels, a heavy metals test, and a food allergy test. This is what I know:

I’m allergic to gluten, whey and casein protein (cow and goat), eggs (chicken and duck), and I have high levels of lead and mercury in me. I stopped eating all the allergens maybe a year and a half ago, and have yet to do a chelation protocol for the metals, it’s on my list. I can put up the numbers on my blood test if anyone cares to see.

I did a pretty intensive detox protocol last June which I think kicked up a lot of scum off the bottom of the lake, so to speak. Immediately afterward I fell into a 5 month depression which almost got the best of me. I have a hunch that this episode of depression was linked to my past SSRI use, which I’d been on in several combinations of different drugs from age 18-22. In hindsight I can see that perhaps the detox cleanse I did in the summer kicked up a bunch of stored toxins, heavy metals and psychiatric drugs being the hard hitters. 

I’m very wary of doing this again, and I’ve basically fired the natropathic doctor I’ve been consulting over the past 2 years.

All in all I’m incredibly grateful for the work that you guys and Dave and the BP team are doing here, shortly after I read Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas in December which was my initiation of sorts into deeper levels of health awareness and action I happened across Bulletproofexec on the Fat Burning Man podcast. All I can say is the actionable knowledge I’ve gleaned from the podcast and the blog hasn’t just saved my life from being a train-wreck, it’s given me my life back and has put me in a position to express my gifts to the world in the best way I can. 

whaaasup son?!

Comments

• F*cking awesome post dude! Mega awesome, love detailed accounts of peoples experience with becoming BulletProof. I love that our culture in relation to eating meat is totally upside-down. Organ meats are so nutritiously dense and if cooked right, tasty, however many people have a serious problem about consuming them, though they will gladly gorge on less nutritious parts like muscle etc. Great for you that these are somewhat in good supply. 

I was thinking, when you did the cleanse, had you been introduced to Dave's work, AND more importantly, if so, were you taking glutathione while cleansing? What is this protocol for chelation that you will be doing? Have you any experience in consuming brazil nuts to counteract mercury?

Lastly, are you physically active? :D 

Good luck with your progress!

• Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! 

I only found out about Dave and Bulletproof Exec a month or two ago; Yeah unfortunately I had no idea about l-glutahione while on this cleanse, and neither did my naturopath! I should write up a separate post on the detox protocol I followed, as well as the chelation therapy my doctor recommends to me, in order to get feedback from some helpful people who hang out here on how safe/healthy it really is. I definitely have some questions around how to best deal with past exposure to heavy metals and pharmaceuticals.

Haven't heard about Brazil nuts besides as a selenium source, and that they're usually full of mycotoxins.

I don't know how to quantify how physically active I am really. I don't do much that breaks a sweat, that much I know. I stand, walk, stretch, do some pushups or yoga occasionally, but it's been awhile since I've lifted weights or done interval training or anything remotely difficult..

• Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! 

I only found out about Dave and Bulletproof Exec a month or two ago; Yeah unfortunately I had no idea about l-glutahione while on this cleanse, and neither did my naturopath! I should write up a separate post on the detox protocol I followed, as well as the chelation therapy my doctor recommends to me, in order to get feedback from some helpful people who hang out here on how safe/healthy it really is. I definitely have some questions around how to best deal with past exposure to heavy metals and pharmaceuticals.

Haven't heard about Brazil nuts besides as a selenium source, and that they're usually full of mycotoxins.

I don't know how to quantify how physically active I am really. I don't do much that breaks a sweat, that much I know. I stand, walk, stretch, do some pushups or yoga occasionally, but it's been awhile since I've lifted weights or done interval training or anything remotely difficult..

Ah, too bad, however it is not like we have a scarcity of l-glutathione on the horizon, so maybe you can pick up some the next time you will be going through a cleanse. I am very interested in hearing about this detox protocol, seeing that I try to be as much of a meticulous data collector as possible. 

On the brazil nuts, well they are not going to work as effectively as a for-purpose chelation drug, however due to the antagonistic relationship between mercury and selenium, foods high in the latter mineral will serve as somewhat of a protector. 

• Im getting rid of metals right now. It takes a LONG time and you basically have to chelate them out of you. I've spent tens possibly hundreds of hours researching the subject. There is no fast way. 

Don't go the IV route, you can get really hurt and its not efficient at all. Shoot me a PM and I can get you started in the right direction.

This is one of those areas its best to not consult most doctors. Your looking at a few months to years but good news is that it is relatively cheap and easy.