Bulletproof Diet Test - Feels Awesome - Is This Healthy?

Hello Everyone,

First time poster. I'm relatively new to the bulletproof diet and dieting in general. I've been pursuing a functional diet which is consistent with my lifestyle. I have been eating low sugar and grains for about six months or so because it just feels right. Now I want to take it to the next level. My schedule is busy so I created a plan which would work best for me. I just concluded a week long test of my version of the bulletproof diet. Please critique and let me know any health concerns I should be aware of. I welcome all advice.

I felt highly energetic for the entire week. I did not suffer cold hands like I have on low carb diets in the past. I slept like a baby every night despite some seriously stressful workloads. It was interesting, after my evening meal I really couldn't be stressed. My body seemed to just go straight into sleep mode. I felt pretty much awesome all week. I was more thirsty than usual and drank a lot of water as a result. On Wednesday afternoon my heart began to race about 3 PM and I felt something like an anxiety attack. That lasted about 10 minutes and didn't happen again. There were a lot of balls in the air at that time so it could have just been stress. I'm not really prone to that physical response from stress though, so I have to chalk it up to the diet. I also seem to be a little constipated. Maybe I need more greens.

It's hard to describe the energy I felt around the end of each day. I was slamming out the work. Totally in the zone. Like the last round of a fight you are dominating. Tired, yes, but not nearly done. I felt like I could go on a couple hours more. I logged the last couple days of food. My schedule was consistent all days.

6 AM - Wake

7 AM - BP Coffee (1/3 recipe)

10 AM - BP Coffee (1/3 recipe)

1 PM - BP Coffee (1/3 recipe)

6 PM to 9 PM Dinner (large volume of food, eaten as I felt like I wanted it)

Between 10 PM and 11 PM Bedtime

I made an interesting recipe of BP coffee which I liked a lot. It needs a bit of work, but here is what I used this week. If that's not bulletproof, please let me know.

Spicy Mocha:

80g Kerrygold Unsalted Butter

40g Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil

20g Lindt 99 Chocolate

1/2 tsp Cinnamon

1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

16 oz. Brewed Upgraded Coffee, hand ground and press pot brewed (Dave's coffee is good stuff)

My daily caloric intake was relatively large. I actually lost a couple pounds. I'm 6 feet tall and my weight usually ranges between 180 and 175. I'm presently at 174. I am not working out at all and ride a desk for a living. I need to start lifting again, but that is for another discussion. Below is my diet from two days. I didn't track them all, I should have. All days were fairly comparable though. Net carb calories are calculated using total grams minus fiber at 4 kcal per gram. I couldn't attach the spreadsheet or an xps print or paste the table so I had to summarize. Is there a better way to do this? Oh well, here it is:

04-24

Unsalted Kerrygold Butter - 80 grams

Coconut Oil - 40 grams

Lindt 99 Bar - 20 grams

Grilled T-Bone Steak - 22 ounces

Baked Sweet Potato - 6 ounces

Baby Banana (no skin) - 100 grams

Avocado (no skin or pit) - 136 grams

Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Carrots Mix - 12 ounces

Salted Kerrygold Butter - 5 grams

Net Carb Cals 347.84

Protein Cals 632.32

Fat Cals 2617.9

Total Cals 3598.06

Carb/Protein/Fat = 10%/18%/73%

04-25

Unsalted Kerrygold Butter - 80 grams

Coconut Oil - 40 grams

Lindt 99 Bar - 20 grams

Grilled T-Bone Steak - 16 ounces

Baked Sweet Potato - 11.4 ounces

Unsalted Kerrygold Butter - 5 grams

Wild Planet Sardines in Water - 1 can

Fresh Blueberries - 4 ounces

Goat Milk Kefir - 16 fluid ounces

Net Carb Cals 462

Protein Cals 720.4

Fat Cals 2396.4

Total Cals 3578.8

Carb/Protein/Fat = 13%/20%/67%

Dave, thank you for all your hard work! Thank you all for your interest and feedback.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I didn't pose the questions well. My three main questions are:

1. What could cause the episode of racing heartbeat and anxiety?

2. Is the Spicy Mocha acceptable to encourage ketogenesis and suppress mtor? I need high quality cayenne pepper and vanilla extract. I just did this as a proof of concept.

3. Is my 4 hour eating window acceptable? With the addition of lifting three days a week my schedule will be as follows:

6:00 AM - Wake

7:00 AM - BP Coffee (1/3 recipe)

10:00 AM - BP Coffee (1/3 recipe)

1:00 PM - BP Coffee (1/3 recipe)

6:00 PM Pre-workout meal - sweet potato and beef probably

6:30 PM 1 hour walk (quality time spent with my son)

7:30 PM 1 serving fruit for desert (get my son ready for bed)

8:00 PM workout (shouldn't last more than an hour)

9:00 PM Post-workout meal

10:00 PM Eating window closed

between 10:00 PM and 11:00 PM get in bed
  • Do you supplement with magnesium?
  • I think the magnesium question is aimed at the constipation. Also Dave recommends vitamin c in pretty high doses which would also move things.

Now, that mocha recipe, I like that!
  • Sorry to reply to these late, I had my notification options set up incorrectly.

I'm not taking any supplements at the moment. I really need to get the fermented cod liver oil. I think that will be my next big dietary move. Seems like something I could wash down with all this butter coffee. If the Weston A. Price crowd is right, the butter and fermented cod liver oil should be great for my health.

Regarding magnesium. I don't fully understand how to manage this balance yet. I have changed my diet a bit though and had less trouble with constipation. Don't I get a large dose of magnesium with the coffee and chocolate?

The coffee recipe is now:

24 Ounces of Brewed Coffee

75 Grams Unsalted Kerrygold Butter (ghee is actually quite good too)

75 Grams Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil

20 Grams Lindt 90% (this was due mainly to cost. You can get between 6 and 8 times more Lindt 90% for the price of Lindt 99%)

I removed the cayenne pepper due to the anxiety and stomach upset when used daily. After doing some research, I don't think cayenne is something I should take daily. I view it as a medical herb and not a daily supplement. Your mileage may vary.

I removed the vanilla extract because the chocolate has fine hints of vanilla. The tastes clashed in my opinion. I preferred the version without additional vanilla.

I removed the cinnamon and didn't miss it so I no longer use it. So I guess the recipe has e/de volved to the "Fatty Mocha".

As an aside, I think some of the initial anxiety may have been due to bacterial die-off from low carb and high coconut oil diet. I haven't had that issue in weeks.

I raised my daily carbs to between 100 grams and 150 grams daily (not net, gross). This seems to help constipation as well. The extra carbs seem to keep my guts moving along.

When eating bone broth regularly I have no constipation issues. That is probably due to the magnesium and other minerals in the broth. I think bone broth is something that would be great to eat daily. I need to build a better routine around consuming it often.

I've tried going back to a standard breakfast and lunch and it just doesn't hold the same appeal. Maybe I'll gain an appreciation for them again in time but right now I enjoy being light on my feet while I'm working. The coffee diet makes that very easy.

My schedule is now:

6 AM - Wake

7 AM - BP Coffee (1/2 recipe)

12:30 PM - BP Coffee (1/2 recipe)

6 PM to 10 PM Dinner (large volume of food, eaten as I felt like I wanted it)

Between 10 PM and 11 PM Bedtime

I'd like to incorporate a walk and some lifting in the 6 PM to 10 PM window, but haven't done it yet. Or maybe just a walk on the days I don't lift. I intend to lift heavy 3 days a week. I will probably start that in a few weeks.