Early Experiences On The Bulletproof Diet

Hey guys, just thought I'd share my story and maybe get some advice.

My diet has become truly clean nowadays. No chemicals, grains, legumes, or sugars of any kind. My only starch is organic sweet potato directly after resistance training. Proteins are only grass-fed beef and egg, wild sockeye, or non-denatured whey. Majority of veg intake is organic green smoothies (kale, avocado, spirulina, chlorella). Also lots of supplements, krill oil, and a gallon of RO-filtered water daily.

I was preparing to do Lean Gains but my brother had me try Bulletproof Coffee one morning. I felt great all day so I decided to try the BP approach to fasting instead. I'm one week in and, with the exception of some cooking methods, eating only from the green spectrum of the BP Diet (which I was more or less doing already tbh). Still early in the fasting experiment, but yes, I feel more energetic and alert. Mood is stable and optimistic. Skin, joints, and hair are benefiting from high fat intake. Muscle soreness in shoulder has diminished. Generally feeling great. I do have a couple issues you can maybe help with?
  • After a week of butter, coffee, and beef I feel extremely acidic. Any advice on balancing PH levels?

• I'd also like to know what you recommend to help elimination. Is there a food or a supplement that will keep me more regular? (i.e. a proper visit to the bathroom at least once a day). I take some fiber capsules and the coffee has been helpful, but any other suggestions are welcome.

• Finally, any tips to accelerate fat loss and/or muscle gain? Muscle gain is a marathon not a sprint; this I am totally ok with. But fat is not necessarily melting off how you'd expect when eating this carefully. Last night, I started reading about Carb Nite and Carb Back Loading, so I'll probably try that. Incidentally, I ended up doing something similar on my own: on days where I don't train, carbs are under 40gms. On days where I train, I eat about 60-70gms right after the workout, but still less than 100gms for the day (this is 3 days a week). I thought I'd broken through a fat loss plateau last week, but again, it looks like not much is changing in terms of scale weight or visible body comp.

Thanks for taking the time to read and please let me know if you have any thoughts. Best!

Comments

• 'Armored wrote:
    • I'd also like to know what you recommend to help elimination. Is there a food or a supplement that will keep me more regular? (i.e. a proper visit to the bathroom at least once a day). I take some fiber capsules and the coffee has been helpful, but any other suggestions are welcome.

Maybe try chia seeds? I let a Tbsp or so soak in water and then drink/chew it down. It has good fats and is all fiber (no digestable carbs). Seems to be working for me. Using whole-husk psyllium is good too; look for the Organic India brand on Amazon.

For you acid/alkaline issue; maybe your body is still adjusting it's stomach acid output. Or maybe you need to up your green veg intake. Be careful not to overdue the kale and maybe try having more green vegetables steamed so they are easier to digest.

I agree on the cooking methods; that's the hardest for me. My main protein sources are ground lamb or grass fed beef just browned up in a pan; I'm thinking I should switch to making meatloaf instead.

If you continue to plateau, maybe try eliminating the eggs or dairy (other than butter) and see what that does. I need to try that myself...

Good luck and keep at it. Jumping from plan to plan is enticing, but sometimes limits the positive gains you might get by giving yourself time.
  • Thanks for your thoughts dpwdan. Turns out the acid problem disappeared when I switched to ghee instead of butter. As for staying regular, I started taking magnesium powder, vitamin C crystals, and a pinch of salt in my water -the problem is (more than) handled.

Fat loss is still plateaued, so I pieced together a hybrid plan for the next couple months (or until my fat loss goal). If anyone's interested, it's basically this:
    1. Overall structure of Carb Nite, but with BP food choices. All grass-fed meats and fats, and less than 30gms of carb per day. One night per week of high-carb.
    2. the 'safety measures' of the BP rapid fat loss protocol (charcoal, glutathione, etc).
    3. BP fasting. Replace breakfast with BP Coffee and no solid food til 2pm.

If Kiefer and Dave are correct, body fat really should melt off. I'm only on day 2 of the hormone recalibration phase, so I can't report anything yet. But I can share the results in a couple weeks or so, if anyone else is considering trying something like this.
  • dpwdandpwdan
    edited May 2012
    I guess I'm landing on doing something pretty similar.
    • BP coffee until 1-2p
    • grass-fed meats and veggies
    • limited dairy, limited eggs (pastured when I do)
    • ~30g carb per day
    • carb-refeed every 4-5 days aiming at 200-300g of rice, sweet potatoes, etc.
    • doing the MCT, coco-oil, psyllium, chia, mag, D3, multi-vit, HCl, etc.
    • body-by-science type lifts once a week
    • barefoot running at VERY low intensity 3X/wk, 3-5 mi ea time (because I love being in the woods and love running)
    • SLEEP'ing and plenty of water

We'll see how it goes. My goal is to improve health and get lean; drop 10-15lbs of fluff. I'm really liking the combinations Dave puts together...and from everything I already know about wrt. neuroscience and meditation, he's headed in a good direction. I question a bit some of the type-A drive behind it, as I'm more of an INFP than an INTJ (which I'd imagine Dave is); but still, he seems to write and live with a lot of compassion, and that is cool.

For those who are prone to self-judgement through this process though, I'd recommend reading "The Happiness Trap" by Harris, or at least watching his video on youtube. I also recommend, "The Untethered Soul". Both of those books point to a way of seeing the world and your "search" for happiness in a much more holistic and non-critical way that I find quite refreshing. Good food for the perfectionists or highly self-judging.
  • Good stuff man, looks like we have similar goals. I'd like to drop ~15lbs of fat and eventually gain some muscle. And I agree that Dave puts together interesting stuff. Not all of it works 100% for me, but that's part of his message -to tinker around and find whats best for your specific biochemistry.

Personality typing is not something I ever paid much attention to, but I came across a Myers-Brigg test some years ago and I am INTP ('the thinker') If I recall correctly. I remember the description being eerily accurate. I can be overly analytical, and yes, a self-judging perfectionist at times, so thanks for the book recommendations. I'll check those out sooner or later.
  • Great forum guys. Great stuff about the MB Test.

@Armored Gorilla - Glad the pH and regularity issues are resolved. I completely agree with dpwdan about not bouncing back and forth between dietary regimes. I was caught in the vortex of RFL, a keto BP intermittent fast, and a weekly carb feed (Carb Nite). I think this is fairly typical for tinkerers. It wasn't until 2 weeks ago I settled down a bit and went to a more basic CKD approach with BP coffee and BP foods. I'm BP Fasting with the coffee and butter 2x per week, IF'ing most days and having a modest meal of bananas and sweet potatoes every 3.5 days. The fat is melting off and my lifts are stable or climbing. Mostly, I have the energy thing down without the swings.

Not sure is you are still doing it, but try dropping the post workout carbs. My fast loss just took off when I did this. Post workout carbs do not increase protein synthesis and only serve to lower GH and inhibit your natural fat burning mechanism. I switched to 30g of whey around one hour (or longer until the pump/lactic acid is gone) after my lifting session with just 5g carbs and the difference has been profound. Recovery is just fine. Trainer Charles Poliquin has actually changed his stance on PWO carbs and now recommends foregoing them until you one is very lean. Let me know if you get the same effect.

@dpwdan - Thanks for mentioning the books as i just placed them on hold at my library. As I hit 40, I'm really questioning my motivations for doing things. A greater appreciation of the process of lifting, dieting...my mental and physical health is apparent. My approach to the dieting is very similar to yours so I will be interested to hear of your results.

Here's my daily schedule if you guys are interested:

Normal
    • 600 - BPC, BCAA's w/ glutamine, MCT's; 5g creatine
    • 700 - Train (2 liters water)
    • 800 - cold shower
    • 845 - BPC; 30g whey, multi-V, trace minerals
    • fast until 4pm - 6 eggs with salad; coco oil; fish oil
    • 7pm - meatloaf; steamed veggies; multi-V
    • 8pm- 20g whey and cream; coco oil
    • Bedtime - trace minerals; fish oil

Refeed
    • 7am (Wed) - BPC, 4 eggs, 1 sweet potato, 1 banana, 10g creatine mono (100-125g CHO)
    • 800 - train
    • BCAA's w/ glutamine
    • fast til single meal
    • 6pm - grass fed cheeseburgers, bacon and salad
    • BPC and fast all day til 4 (Sat)
    • 4pm (Sat) - train
    • 530pm (Sat) - 30g whey; 10g CM
    • 7pm (Sat) - 2 chicken breasts; 1 sweet potato, 1 banana or 1 cup strawberries; 10g CM (100-125g CHO)

Hope this helps and any comments are more than welcome. Take care.

Hey, good to see you in here. From reading your other posts it seems you have this stuff handled, so thanks a lot for sharing your schedule. First of all, nope, I'm not doing PWO carbs atm. I have another 7 days til my first refeed/CarbNite, and then once again per week. You could call that CKD, if I understand the term correctly, and I plan to stick with it for 3 months or until losing 20lbs of fat. After that I'll transition to muscle building. Haven't settled on which program yet, but there's time to read up while still losing fat.

I don't fully understand CBL yet, but might switch to that at muscle building time. I'll try and learn much as I can through forums/podcasts, and hopefully won't have to spend $90 on the book. (no offense to Kiefer -I'd definitely prefer to support him by buying the book, but that's a steep price for a simple pdf).

Anyway, seeing your plan spelled out like this (and also AdamFiddler's on the fitness board) looks like it will be very helpful. I'll soon see how I do with no PWO carbs because, while still in fat loss mode, I'll be working out on a 3 day split and only eating carbs on one of those evenings (leg day/refeed day). Not sure how I'll eventually reconcile this approach with CBL, which seems to be all about PWO carbs multiple nights per week. But I should be pretty lean by then and, if workouts are intense enough, can probably handle the more frequent carbs w/o fattening up.

If I'm understanding your schedule correctly, I'm curious why you train twice a day on Sat? Also, is 3.5 days between refeeds long enough in your experience? Kiefer suggested a minimum 4 days if I recall, and I'm actually planning for a full 7 days. Do you think I'd benefit from refeeding more often? When I have more time I'll come back and type up my schedule too and see what you guys think. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts
  • The best thing about Harris' Acceptance Commitment Therapy (The Happiness Trap) is working on living life from a standpoint of VALUES instead of GOALS. Acting on our values is something we can do immediately and in whatever situation we're in; achieving specific goals is something we may not have control over and leads us to the constant stress of a future-oriented life. Focusing on values lowers stress; focusing on goals increases stress. Values are something you can continually self-correct towards and refresh every second; goals are something you get frustrated at when you've erred and start feeling like you are too far away from your goal or have missed your timeline and start feeling like you might as well give up.

I'm really intent at this point on hacking my approach to life and switching to living from a values-oriented motivation. This is very similar to the spiritual approach in Zen - you intend to walk the path, you make a vow to end suffering, but you don't target fixate on hitting the bullseye or attaining enlightenment as a fixed position. The same thoughts are echoed in non-duality, Advaita, and even the Christian mystic tradition.

If you really want to blow your mind wide open, also consider the work of Douglas Harding "On Having No Head" or "The Headless Way" http://www.headlessway.org . That site and the youtube videos are a great way to deconstruct standard reality image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

All of this fits within the context of Bulletproof Exec, bio-hacking, and all the current research in neuroscience and quantum-physics.

As Dave says, we're just now finding the science to back up what the Buddhists have known experientially from 10,000 years of sitting and staring at walls...and the mirrors to their souls (or non-souls).

Best of luck everyone.

Forgive the long post - I'm hopped up on butter, coco oil, and coffee image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • dwpdan -

Great insight! It makes me think of 2 powerlifters benching 500lbs. One does this because he loves and values the beauty of lifting heavy and and the other lifts 500 because he wants to lift 505. Too often, I have let my goals run amuck and and it destroy the process. Sad, but true. Anyway, it's nice to have insight from those that aren't "Type A" and see how the other half live. I'm definitely adapting to the values approach. Keep coming with the info. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

AG -

Yeah, Adam has a great plan that he has obviously put a great deal of thought into. I haven't read the CBL thing, but from what I gleaned and the results of some on this forum, I would say it's a rational approach. I see nothing wrong with the carbup on training days for most. In fact, I would suggest you try it for a week and see if you maintain the fat loss progression. Generally speaking, people do better with the most amount of carbs they can get away with and still get lean. So should you add in another refeed meal during the week? Not sure, but it depends on how quickly you are making progress. Are you staying strong? muscles getting a good pump? That's a sign of good carb levels. Are you at a standstill with the fat loss? Don't add carbs.

For me, I carbup (~125g) Wednesday early morning, then train. On Saturdays, I don't train twice, but train around 4pm and refeed from 6-8pm. These are my PWO carbs for the week. (Don't forget, I train 7 days/wk using daily maxes.) Remember, these are only big meals, not a full day of carbs. In total, that would be 250+g for your single carb nite. My body actually runs a lot better in light ketosis (years of experimentation), so my timing works for me, but I can totally see Kiefer's point about the 4 days min. We'll see. I just know the energy I have had for 2 weeks is astounding...and the fat is coming off quickly. Btw, the CKD is not new. Vince Gironda was advocating a zero carb diet with a spaghetti dinner every 4-5 days fifty years ago for his "Max Definition Diet".

As for your refeeds, sticking with the carb nite for now would be my rec. My biggest problem is getting impatient and jumping from diet to diet. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am not alone in this (look around the forum). So, I've made a commitment to this approach for this month. I can tell you that when you get it right, you know almost immediately. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Good health!
  • Throwing a few cents into the pile .... I'd say I am somewhere between 60 and 80% BP, with good consumption of grass fed meats (currently eating down my freezer supply of venison) and BP coffee until about 11-noon each day. I eat salads with meat and avocado, snack on 85% dark chocolate, and usually have something not as optimal near the end of the day, say something sweet before I go to bed. That gives me guilt (which of course is not optimal, anyway).

The problem every morning is that I feel both bloated and "bigger" but am starving (good gnawing hunger pains) about an hour after I wake up. On past eating protocols it's one or the other (fullness OR hunger) but not on this diet. Its a little hard to describe but I just feel "thicker", with some belly distention and fluid retention.

I like the simplicity of the food choices on Dave's spectrum but it almost seems like you'll get at best tiny benefits unless you are in the 99% compliance range.

Thoughts on that or any of the rest of my spew? image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-)' />
  • It's likely what you are eating for "something sweet" at night that is making you feel that way.

Doing carb-backloading I notice I wake up starving most of the time, I just need to drink 2 liters of water and I feel much better.

I'd suggest if you want something sweet in the evening looking into carb-backloading.

Check out the podcast with Keifer.

You might wake up hungry, but when you do it right you wont wake up feeling bigger.

Infact, I had 1800g of red potatoes last night and some gulten free cupcakes last night. =D
  • Trevor - Are you using any glucose disposal agents (ALA, chromium, cinnamon, etc...) with the CBL? I never got much out of these and others, but my thought is that the slight carb deprivation with CBL might improve their activity. Any thoughts?

• Throwing a few cents into the pile .... I'd say I am somewhere between 60 and 80% BP, with good consumption of grass fed meats (currently eating down my freezer supply of venison) and BP coffee until about 11-noon each day. I eat salads with meat and avocado, snack on 85% dark chocolate, and usually have something not as optimal near the end of the day, say something sweet before I go to bed. That gives me guilt (which of course is not optimal, anyway).

The problem every morning is that I feel both bloated and "bigger" but am starving (good gnawing hunger pains) about an hour after I wake up. On past eating protocols it's one or the other (fullness OR hunger) but not on this diet. Its a little hard to describe but I just feel "thicker", with some belly distention and fluid retention.

I like the simplicity of the food choices on Dave's spectrum but it almost seems like you'll get at best tiny benefits unless you are in the 99% compliance range.

Thoughts on that or any of the rest of my spew? image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />

Maybe try making some roobios tea (chai, but with no caffeine) with some grass-fed butter and/or coco-oil/milk or MCT in it for a desert instead of the carby sweets?

I'm not seeing any "results" yet as far as weight loss, but I feel better. I think I just have some messed up hormones that are going to take a while to self-regulate. Something is keeping me "skinny-fat"...I'm not overloaded on calories; I'm doing the protocols; just have to trust it's going to work over time.

I'm due for a carb-refeed tonight too and have plans to meet friends at a sustainable-sushi joint tonight...I'm looking forward to a chirashi bowl of white rice and raw salmon...see if I can get some sweet-potato on the side too while avoiding the soy sauce and seaweed image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • dpwdan, chirashi is truly a wonderful dish. image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-)' />

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I was having some panic about the old "calories count!" mantra and telling myself that "there's no way I can just eat BP foods in un-counted caloric amounts and NOT gain weight.... what am I thinking???"

So maybe those thoughts themselves are having an effect like raising cortisol, etc...

Here's a small but significant problem with me going 100% BP (or even 95%) - I write about restaurants and I need to actually eat their foods, many of which are non-BP. Most of which are non-BP. I don't have to eat a LOT, but a bite of this and a bite of that and a bite of that.... well, now I'm "off the BP wagon".

Sorry for the whine. Just trying to mellow out and figure this out. And also give it a chance before scrambling to try something new.

• Trevor - Are you using any glucose disposal agents (ALA, chromium, cinnamon, etc...) with the CBL? I never got much out of these and others, but my thought is that the slight carb deprivation with CBL might improve their activity. Any thoughts?

I use ALA some.

Mostly with pre & PWO for creatine, and then before bed I use some again.

I cook with cinnamon A LOT, haha.
  • [font=georgia,serif]Hey guys!

I'm new to eating this much fat and I'm wondering about how much carbs to eat and when. I'm 28yr old female 5'6 about 140-145lbs and I used to be 130. It's been a year of recovery from high rT3 (hypothyroid) and adrenal fatigue and eating this way is already making me feel SO much better. My mood and energy has been dramatically improved, and I think I'm loosing fat! Only been a bit over a week though so could be H2O I guess.

OK so talk to me about ratios, when to eat higher carb etc. My only carbs are coming from veggies and kombucha right now.

Also my sleep is suffering but I'm not sure why. Im not sleeping deeply anymore and am waking up at 4am. The last couple of days I'm starving too. I did start drinking the coffee but don’t have any past 12pm. It's like I'm feeling TOO good and I want to start kicking butt. Even doing a 5 hr hike didn't put me down for more than 4 hrs. I want to lift heavy again whilst eating this way but am waiting to get the sleep in line as well as the macros.

Thoughts on the sleep? I take magnesium and melatonin already.

Thank you so much for your guidance and advice. [/font]I feel like I'm just starting to put all the peices together.