Hard Rugby Training - How To Adjust Diet?

edited April 2013 in Physical Performance

Hi all

I'm new here, been drinking Bulletproof coffee and a variation of the Bulletproof Diet for about 4 weeks now.  I'm using aspects of the 4 Hour Body MED for my workouts, which I've whittled down to 20 minutes of hard running a few times a week plus some body weight training.  For these quick workouts, I just follow the Bulletproof fasting schedule 6 days a week very closely and it works fine (i.e. I can handle 20 minutes of intense workout with little adjustment to the fast schedule or diet).  Prior to this I was on essentially an "eating reduction and calorie" counting diet plus daily running where I lost 60 pounds of muscle and fat in about 4 months.  The new diet habits helped me to easily transition to the Bulletproof diet and low carbs because overall I just eat less.

I'm now entering active rugby season where we train 2 hours Tue/Thu, and either a game or third training session on Saturday.  I still play competitively, this is not beer league stuff.  These sessions are usually quite intense and my guess is that I'll suffer because of how much less I'm eating.  I'm 6'4", 240 pounds right now.  I used to be a beefy 300 pounds and I would still lose weight during rugby season just eating anything I liked (i.e. with NO diet restrictions and heavy weight training I floated between 280lbs and 320lbs between off season and on season.  This 240 lb thing is something new I'm trying as I get older....)

Any opinions on how I should adjust my diet from the slow carb/Bulletproof fasting so that I'm not passing out mid practice?  Do I just up my fat/protein intake or do I need carbs?  I read this thread, but got confused.  Maybe all I need to do is have a larger meal 2 - 3 hours before sessions and that's it?

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3110-carbohydrates-before-training/

I'm not looking for you to do my homework for me, just some guidance so that I can minimize experimentation.  I don't want to add weight, but now that I'm slim I do want to replace my remaining fat with muscle.  I'm also not new to rugby, been playing for nearly 20 years, so there is room for me to try things, I just don't want to crash half way through a session and get light headed.

Thanks!

(EDIT: Yep, I'm the guy that asks a question on his first post - I will try hard and make up for that.)

Comments

• I'm probably over thinking this, which is easy to do because of all the information available and everyone's personal experiences being ever so slightly different.  Many of the threads here involve "what should I do", and I was trying not to do that, but I guess I did.

Anyway, last night's training went fine although I did end up having a few extra carbs before training (some mixed nuts trail mix and a high fat home made meat/pastry thing my wife made).  If I end up having anything to report back that may help others with a similar schedule I will do so.

This link (http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2156-bulletproofing-the-athlete-a-fully-customizable-template-for-tracking-and-changing-food-intake-based-on-changing-goals/) is probably something I will give a shot as well as soon as I can sit down and spend a few minutes working through it.

OP intends to deliver, but if anyone has advice in the meantime I will take it.

• TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka

that's a huge discussion... I'd ask a few specifics in "BPing The Athlete."

I usually get my carbs at night. When you eat your carbs can vary on so many things.  On noon time, fast breaking, moderate paced, 8-10 miles ski sessions I was not eating any carbs until after I finished. My glycogen store was from the sweet potatoes the night before. Learning to use mct oil helps a lot. Good luck.

• Agree on the sweet potatoes. An athletes best friend.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

sweet potato here too 2-3hrs before MMA training. Not having any issues with fat and protein as main food source and still training twice-a-day. Taking around 60-70g carbs-a-day, with 35g coming from the SP.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• That's good feedback thanks guys.  I'm pretty sure what I'm up to in a given training session is _not_ more than what an MMA fighter does or a 10 mile ski session.  I do have to train to be able to go as hard as I can for 80 minutes (match length), that's the upper limit I'm reaching for.

Carbs at night makes sense to me too from a potential craving perspective because I'm going to sleep soon, so I will adjust things accordingly.

Thanks again for the great input!

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

tell us how you get on

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Last night was okay.  I was traveling during the day yesterday and ended up eat a protein bar about 2 hours before training (Cliff Builders Mint).  I try not to do that, but because they never seem to go bad I always have one in the truck just in case.  I didn't get hungry or anything, just concerned that I might get hungry as we began to warm up.  Aside from that, I ate my typical diet.  I was sluggish last night but I didn't feel like that was food related, just conditioning.

I also buggered my shoulder a bit during a hitting drill.  I finished the session but it's stiff and sore today.  So I need to work on that before next week.