Zeolites Vs Activated Charcoal

I have seen and heard mention on the bulletproof blog and podcasts of using activated charcoal for mopping up toxins in the body. I was just wondering if zeolites would be a suitable substitute? Or perhaps even better?

Jason

Comments

• In his video about mycotoxins, Dave Asprey lists zeolite, bentonite clay, and activated charcoal as ways of mopping up toxins (along with glucommanan and beta glucan). in fact, Dave recommends a "cocktail" of these substances for serious detoxing. It would be cool to learn more about the relative merits of all of these tools.
  • How much of each substance is included in the cocktail? I'm a small girl, only 5'3", so I want to make sure that I'm not overdosing. I don't want any bad reactions and have to go to the hospital and blast my personal health insurance. I've heard there are negative ramifications for detoxing too quickly. If I only take one supplement at a time, then will that help me detox and a more controlled pace?
  • I tried a product called Chava (Chocolate with Zeolite) for a month. I try to be very level headed about this stuff and I journal everything. In fact, I was even on a consistent diet at the time and zeolite was the only thing I introduced. Personally I saw no difference. No impact to my performance (mentally or doing Crossfit). I really liked eating the chocolate, but it's rather expensive. I had a friend who's son had mono and she gave him a heavy dose of liquid zeolite and he was symptom free in a couple days (usually takes people months to recover) so she swears by it. I tried to research the stuff and really the only stuff I could come across was anecdotal evidence, so there may be a placebo effect there. Not saying zeolite doesn't work, but it didn't seem to do anything for me and the absence of scientific studies on it has me still in the skeptical category. Maybe I'll get some on hand and wait until I am sick and try it. I bought some activated charcoal recently to try.
    Sean Buck
    "You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."
  • I would recommend reading the info on this website Zeolite.

• How much of each substance is included in the cocktail? I'm a small girl, only 5'3", so I want to make sure that I'm not overdosing. I don't want any bad reactions and have to go to the hospital and blast my personal health insurance. I've heard there are negative ramifications for detoxing too quickly. If I only take one supplement at a time, then will that help me detox and a more controlled pace?

I know this is a sick bump, but I do have the same question. Right now I plan on taking baking soda baths, epsom salt baths, but considering also taking some stuff orally. 

• I live in the uk and I bought powdered zeolite from ebay and it made me feel great- really boosts energy in the morning.

But don't buy liquid zeolite, it's a scam.
  • NickatNickat
    edited June 2014

I live in the uk and I bought powdered zeolite from ebay and it made me feel great- really boosts energy in the morning.

But don't buy liquid zeolite, it's a scam.

Is that due to price for the quality?

• I heard zeolite is a super fine superporous volcanic ash so its really absorbent and works like charcoal. Your source is not guaranteed to already have absorbed stuff (possibly bad stuff). Thats all I heard, never tried it.