Peak 8 Exercises Bs?

What do people think about Mercolas claim's that Peak 8 release HGH and are magical Anti-aging formula?I hear the co-host say in a post that they are BS curious on other peoples experiences with Peak 8

Comments

• Mercola has a tendency to be over-zealous with his claims, and honestly, I don't take anything he says too seriously. The fact that he states the "Peak 8" will have "magical" effects on growth hormone and anti-aging is a bit overboard.

High intensity interval training is outstanding, don't get me wrong, but he is overstating the benefits in order to self-promote.

This is just my opinion based on my feelings towards Mercola and past experiences with his material. I will be interested to see how others respond.

Jake

My Fitness and Nutrition Blog: http://JJStrength.com

• edited April 2013

My opinion and experience, not with Peak8, but with PACE (Dr Al Sears) is that it surely works. I have kept records of my progress and lean-body-mass+fat-percentage during a period of 6 months and i increased lean-body-mass and reduced fat-percentage considerably while eating the same (actually i started to eat more). So i am convinced that signaling the body with HIIT has indeed an effect on the body in many positive ways. The other good thing is that it only takes you 20 minutes per exercise. 

• Exercise is one of those things that is very personalized.  If you're stressed out or depressed HIT training probably wont do you any good and might make matters worse.  The only time in nature where we would use max exertion is running away from a predator.  The body reads this as stress so if your stress management skills aren't at their peak right now this could cause problems. 

Personally I've had the most success spending 2hrs lifting kettlebells and body weight training 3 to 4 times a week.  Oh, I also throw squats and deadlifts in there once a week.  Although, I was at my strongest when I was working as mason and all science aside, the strongest guys in the martial arts gyms are always some kind of laborer.  Nothing replaces the adaptations your body has to make to lift concrete all day long. 

On a little side note..

Growing up, my best friend's father was a welder.  He carried around a 300lb welding tack all day long and lifted it like someone lifts a heavy backpack.  He was huge by body builder standards, but he was a big guy.  He was probably about 6 1' and 200ish lbs.  Anyway, his muscles were so strong that the doctor could no longer give him shots in the arm because they would not go thru.  As in... the needles would actually break!  They had to give him needles in the back and sometimes even those would break too.

Chances are if you're first starting out its better to go slow in the gym, take your time and get your form perfect.  This could mean a slow paced session of 2+ hours, but its more important that you learn to enjoy using your body rather than getting the fastest possible results in the least amount of time. 

That's my take on it.

• Interesting take on it.I never had the experience of getting more stressed out and depressed,in fact quite the opposite but like you said exercise is very personalized.I just started getting into kettlebells with the keith weber DVD...it's pretty short and intense but I feel like it really gets You in shape

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2013

I use something like this in my training. Started 10sec hard, 10sec rest, now do 20sec hard, 10sec rest. Normally do around 18 of these in 3 sets (so 6 sprints/rest in a row), then move on to another exercise for 2mins. That's one 5 min round, which is done 3 times with 60 secs rest in-between. This simulates a fight in MMA (3x5mins). So it's a total of 17mins of training (minus warm-up and cool down). I do this once a week, but do another type once a week that includes another 6 of these 20sec hard/10 rest sprints surrounded with other hard all body exercises.

Also experimented with 60sec hard, 30sec rest on a rower for 6 minutes (so 4x60sec sprints) on a rower. Normally only do 2 rounds of this, so 12 mins in total. Just switched to a 500m sprint now instead, which is brutal. Especially as you're competing with other on time, so you're flat out for 90secs. Normally do two of these, which is tough.

Have also experimented with the training mask on these sprints. I found that although it improved my cardio greatly, it stopped my muscles pushing as hard, so when I didn't use the mask I'd feel muscle endurance was a problem, as my cardio was so much stronger with 100% of the air now available. So stopped using it for a while to push the muscles more during this type of work. Now looking at putting the mask back on to push the cardio on again.

I don't do any type of endurance cardio. I don't run (ever) and don't do anything longer than 20mins really. Some training session last longer, but it's stop and start classes for wrestling or BJJ. So continuous work is only ever really 6 mins long, with at least a 45sec break before continuing. Longest circuit I've done is  22mins (3x6mins with 3x60sec rest and 1x1mins on at the end). Normally it's just 17mins.

Works great for me regarding fat loss.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Wow 60 sec with 30 sec rest is intense...salute! I was doing 30 sec with 90 sec rest times 8 and the shit obliterated Me...outdoor sprints no machine,I thought it was great for weight loss also but don't know about Mercola's secret to releasing HGH/Anti-aging exercise...would like to see further evidence

• I've been using the Peak 8 (originally Sprint 8) for almost 3 years, and in that time, I'll be the first to say that not only does it have some great benefits (haven't measure the HGH factors personally) for endurance, lowered heart rate and quick recovery, but it's actually ideal for those who are over stressed.  

I was dealing with actually doing 40-60 minutes of very high intensity training, but it was destroying my body, causing complete adrenal fatigue.  So I cut back on the workouts and switched to sprint 8 with kettlebells and noticed reduced fatigue after my workout.  What was really interesting was that I'd been tracking my heart rate for about 1-2 years before, and the best HR that I could have was 70 at rest.  But within about 6 weeks of sprint 8 styled workouts, my heart rate dropped to 50 bpm resting.  I think that alone is a good enough reason to do it.  And considering that you only should/need to do it 2-3x/wk, you approach Tim Ferriss' ideal of the 4-hour body.  Add some heavy lifting 1-2x a week (or less) and you're pretty much set.