Crossfit + Keto + If + Ct + Law School: Optimizing Strength, Speed, And Learning

I'm currently a JD/MBA student at USC, but my background is sleep/circadian rhythms research at Mary Carskadon's Sleep/Chronobiology Lab at Brown University. I started following the Bulletproof method to optimize neurological benefits and .

Previously, I followed a modified Leangains protocol, with an 8 hour feeding window (eating paleo), with a binge/refeed day once per week, followed by a longer 24-28 hr fast. I am also a competitive CrossFitter, so my main concerns with upgraded paleo was its effects on athletic performance. I train very heavily throughout the week, usually 2x/day (with 10g BCAA before and after the morning session), so recovery time and performance is very important to me.

Currently, I'm about a week into upgraded Paleo, and I've started drinking bulletproof coffee http://snapguide.com/guides/make-a-spiced-bulletproof-mocha-20/ before lifting in the mornings, and sometimes again after training during school. I've gone from ~162 lb to 155lb over this week (previously 7% body fat). But it seems like my strength has not decreased since I keep hitting new lifting PRs each week.

Does anyone have any recommendations for optimizing both athletic performance and neurological performance? I have about 12 hours/day in the law library prepping for exams, so anything that increases performance in both aspects would be great.

Comments

• Aniracetam or any of the racetams "smart drugs" for neurologicall performance. I'm starting them this week, and I have heard a lot of good feedback from people who use it. Probably wil be taking them with some Choline as well, as many people state you need, in order for it to be effective. You may get enough Choline from eggs and meat though. It takes some time to build up in your system(7 days). I'll report back my personal experiences with it, once I have used it for a week.
  • I've actually been taking Aniracetam since about friday, it seems to work well, especially on top of the bulletproof coffee. I haven't tested its effects independently since I haven't drank coffee for 6 months before implementing the bulletproof plan. I also take small amount of amphetamine salts to help with the marathon study sessions. I'll look into choline.

Over the weekend, I was 24 hours into a fast and ended up mixing yohimbine, aniracetam, and bulletproof coffee. It was great for a little bit, but my heart rate went a little bit out of control.
  • Clayton,

What kind of coffee maker do you use? I went through your snapguide and have never seen that coffee maker before. Do you like it?

• Clayton,

What kind of coffee maker do you use? I went through your snapguide and have never seen that coffee maker before. Do you like it?

I use an Aeropress. It pulls some espresso, which I make into an americano. I actually love it, super easy to use, and surprisingly easy clean-up since the plunger wipes the cylinder as you press.
  • Yeah, the CF I do has a very structured lifting program, heavy, and limited conditioning work. We don't really do the crazy hour-long conditioning circuits you see on the mainsite.
  • Don't forget creatine monohydrate for both mental and physical! And perhaps small dose deprenyl as an anti-aging and smart drug would be appropriate if your MD prescribes it.
  • Thanks Dave! I have creatine and glutamine in my BCAA stack, and I will look into getting deprenyl. What's a good way of going about asking my doctor about it?

I've been working with aniracetam and I love it. So I do a cheat day on Saturday where I do a carb refeed (read: frozen yogurt and other desserts), and it knocks me out of keto. I typically do a long (24hr) fast afterwards. Would straight fasting be the quickest way to getting back into keto, or would bulletproof coffee make it help it along?
  • I think the bulletproof coffee would be faster (b/c of the MCT oil).

'Clayton wrote:

Would straight fasting be the quickest way to getting back into keto, or would bulletproof coffee make it help it along?