Grass Fed Butter And Insulin Secretion

Guessing there are a few non insulin dependent diabetics out here and wondered if they reserached into the amount of insulin that is secreted from Grass fed butter?

I read it that It can be significant
and even higher for diabetics if combined with protein and carbs.

This is due to the Short chain fatty acids in the butter as well as butyrate.

Does anyone have any values for these insulin secertions?
Does anyone get really hungry if they have butter with their rice on the carb up day?
Because I do! :(

Comments

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

I have read that butter induces about half the response of pure glucose.  So if glucose is 100 on the insulin index (which it is) than butter is about 50.

• I purchased a blood glucose monitor the other day.  My wife thinks that I have gone off the deep end.  Anyway, my morning BPC lowers my blood glucose anywhere from five to ten mg/dl.  This may be interesting, but what does it say about my insulin levels?  Perhaps I have become extremely insulin sensitive and my pancreas is producing more than required.  I lack the equipment for a proper test, but if I were a type 2 diabetic, we can extrapolate that morning BPC would be beneficial.

•  

I purchased a blood glucose monitor the other day.  My wife thinks that I have gone off the deep end.  Anyway, my morning BPC lowers my blood glucose anywhere from five to ten mg/dl.  This may be interesting, but what does it say about my insulin levels?  Perhaps I have become extremely insulin sensitive and my pancreas is producing more than required.  I lack the equipment for a proper test, but if I were a type 2 diabetic, we can extrapolate that morning BPC would be beneficial.

If youre insulin sensitive your pancreas will release less insulin. If your Blood glucose has gone down and its in the normal range that is a good sign.

If you were diabetic and had BPC in the morning it would be a bad idea in a sense.

When you are type 2 diabetic most of the time you are resistant to insulin.

So two things happen

- Your body is pumping out more insulin than normal when you eat

- It cant get rid of the inuslin because you are resistant and therefor have more circulating insulin floating around than the normal person and that leads to all sorts of problems like hypotension, high blood pressure etc.

Having said that its 10x better to have BPC than a bowl of cereal
  •  

I have read that butter induces about half the response of pure glucose.  So if glucose is 100 on the insulin index (which it is) than butter is about 50.

Got a link to read?
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
    edited April 2013
  • I purchased a blood glucose monitor the other day.  My wife thinks that I have gone off the deep end.  Anyway, my morning BPC lowers my blood glucose anywhere from five to ten mg/dl.  This may be interesting, but what does it say about my insulin levels?  Perhaps I have become extremely insulin sensitive and my pancreas is producing more than required.  I lack the equipment for a proper test, but if I were a type 2 diabetic, we can extrapolate that morning BPC would be beneficial.

I think sometimes people get confused with things that raise your blood sugar, and things that create an insulin response. Since they're not always the same. Consuming some glucose is going to raise your blood sugar, and that will create an insulin response, where as consuming some butter, or amino acids, will create an insulin response, but blood sugar is not effected so it'll actually lower from the increased insulin response.

I too bought a blood glucose monitor, and one of the interesting things I noticed is after dieting for 16+ hours, I have a healthy fasted blood glucose level, after exercising (going for a 30 minute run, or weight lifting), upon measuring my blood glucose level it actually significantly increased as if I had just eaten a meal. I'm guessing exercising in a ketogenic state would not produce the same results, but I have not tested that yet, I ran out of strips.

• This seems like a very serious discussion, so please do not take this as much, however, is not the mantra concerning coffee and food something like this:

''Coffee and carbs, augmented insulin secretion, coffee and fasting(fat intake accepted here), no problem at all''.

I cannot recall where I get this from, but I have, from personal experience learned, that the WORST thing I can possibly do to myself is to mix coffee and carbs together, I almost  become a catatonic zombie when I make this mistake.  

• I have an itneresting experience with this thing: when I only put MCT in my coffee, I get hungry later when I put the same amount of MCT + butter. This was the reason why I started to look for this topic in the first place.

Based upon my own experience the answer is yes. 

Also, I do snacks with some nuts with little slices of butter ( I know...) and it is virtually impossible to stop eating, even though I injest several thousand calories pretty quickly. 

It's still pretty hard to accumulate fat from butter, but at least for some of us it does raise insulin.