Mct Vs Coconut Oil/averse Reactions To Co

edited August 2013 in Bulletproof Coffee

Hey Dave et all,

Question regarding MCT oil vs Coconut oil. I have doing a paleo/bulletproof diet for about 3-4 months now. I have lost about 50 pounds, greatly improved my athletic ability with minimal exercise, and just feel much better overall.

I have been hacking my coffee - getting BPC beans and kerrygold butter - but I can't seem to settle on a coconut oil. I have tried about 5 different brands and all seem to give me headaches or GI distress. The latest batch was a higher quality one per your recommendations in the grocery guide - expeller pressed, centrifuge, etc - but it seems to give me stomachaches and "looseness", ahem, yeah. Not finished testing yet, but it seems to be more of the same.

I'm wondering if I should try MCT oil instead. One of the big reasons I started hacking my coffee is because I suspect I am sensitive to mold as you are (Certain houses just nail me, sometimes coffee helps/hinders, etc).

Are there benefits of MCT oil over coconut? In addition, 1) are there any reasons I may be having adverse reactions to CO and 2) are there reasons I may have less averse reactions in response to MCT (less chance of mycotoxins, etc)

Thanks for the blog and podcast. Excited to read the baby book before my wife and I get pregnant again.

Blessings,

JonMarc

Comments

• My experience with CO and MCT Oil is that I will get stomach cramps or feel a little dizzy when I take too much. I am still trying to figure out what is the optimal dosage for either. I just keep playing with the amounts. Yesterday I used 2Tbsp MCT and 1Tbsp of CO and it was way too much (I thought I had built up better tollerance), today I cut back to slightly under 1 of each.

As far as a difference, MCT Oil, according to Dave is better, although there are benefits from taking both. CO is 60%-65% MCT Oil. However, it is only 15% of the better MCT's whereas straight MCT oil has much higher quantities of Caprylic and Capric acid. I believe Dave uses the ration of 12:1, saying that taking 1Tbsp of MCT oil is equal to taking 12Tbsp of CO.

Anyways they speak alot about this on many of the podcasts, this one in particulay is dedicated to that subject

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-13-how-to-take-care-of-your-brain-with-coconut-oil-ketones/
  • The MCT is 6:1 not 12:1! I use the MCT mostly because I've never had any mold problems with it, and it's more effective than coconut oil. Many of the brands of coconut oil repeatably cause problems, but others don't. It's batch dependent. Just try butter and MCT for the most predictable results.
  • Cool thanks Dave! Just got my 5lb. bag of BPC and loving it!
  • i'm allergic to coconut, any form of it, and its either a trip to ER followed by steroids or extreme vomiting for several hours, how is MCT oil different?

"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them."
    – Isaac Asimov

• I found that coconut oil keeps me feeling full longer, but MCT oil really helps cognitive function. The difference is noticeable. I switched to MCT oil because of this, but also found my skin reacts well to coconut oil. Now I do 3TBS butter, 2TBS MCT, 1TBS coconut. That seems to be a good mix for me. I use an Aeropress with three scoops of coffee.
  • Scott, MCT oil is a subset of oils found in coconut oil. Generally, allergies are caused by your body reacting to certain proteins. I am incredibly doubtful that the MCT oil would react in anyway with your body as it is entirely fat.
  • If you are having troubles with "looseness", I would back up the amount of oil you are using (be it coconut or MCT) and/or add HCl + betaine/lipase to your diet. More than likely, it's your body not having enough acid/bile to properly break down the level of fat you are ingesting. Luckily, your body *does* adjust, but the pills really helped me and I was able to slowly back off of them as my body got used to the higher doses of fat.
  • The other thing is coconut oil contains anti-bacterial properties. You may be experience some gut flora die off with the coconut oil.

If that is the case. You will want to work "cleaning" up your gut.