Insurance Hacking -Not So Nice

Last Sunday I was rear-ended while driving my new car on the fwy. It was stop and go, the impact didn't do much damage, and the driver was nice. He apologized and took responsibility, did not try to get out of it - even though he's of modest means. A nice drummer from Australia or something. We scheduled repairs with the insurance which have not happened yet.

Flashforward 5 days to yesterday. I'm driving home in rush hour traffic on Melrose Ave in Los Angeles (a crowded street w/people on the sidewalks) and guess what happened? I was rear ended again! I could hardly believe it. What are the odds? I get out and take a look at my bumper, look at the guy who hit me, and before I know it, he drives away. Yes. He has a creepy smirk on his face, and drives away - actually needing to drive up onto the sidewalk to escape.

I only caught the first 3 digits of his plate because it happened so fast and I thought he was just pulling to the side at first... Bastard didn't cause any additional damage to my car that I can see, but it really sucks that the nice drummer gets his insurance dinged and this little weasel-face gets away with it.

Just sharing with youze so I can hopefully stop fantasizing about kicking his teeth in : )

Comments

• It sure was a shitty experience. I love LA though.

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

I love LA too.

Did you at least report the hit and run?

• I almost did.

The nice, insolvent drummer's insurance told him that if the damage was under 1k, his premium would not go up at all. I had the autobody shop call me when they had the bumper off and they were assessing the damage, and I went over there to be involved. There was a baby dent (eraser sized) on the bar behind the bumper, invisible to view, so I told them not to fix that - keeping the damage under 1k.

I cared most about not dinging the drummer's insurance for weasel's work. I'd LOVE to punish weasel as well, but not at the risk of a possible insurance company shitstorm. I doubt the police would even look for the guy with only 3 numbers on a plate. If I had all 7 numbers I'd be much more tempted!

Ah, well its still good to report for statistics I guess.  Probably no big deal though.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

That's why we all deep down, hope karma is real ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

I hate people who do things like that!

Maybe you could hack your brain to improve your memory so if it happens again you'll be able to nab the license? :-D

• I hate people who do things like that!

Maybe you could hack your brain to improve your memory so if it happens again you'll be able to nab the license? :grin:

While my memory could use some improving, it was shock that prevented me from catching the entire plate... I had just been been hit (for the 2nd time in 5 days) and I was also shocked realizing he was leaving the scene. In fact, thanks to you making me think about it and look it up... this is exactly how I felt:

Acute Stress Reaction:

"The symptoms show great variation but typically include an initial state of "daze", with some constriction of the field of consciousness and narrowing of attention, inability to comprehend stimuli, and disorientation."   (from wikipedia)

Nothing a little HRV training couldn't fix!

• mmejoannammejoanna ✭✭
    edited May 2013

I practice emwave for 20 minutes a day, on High, thank you very much! : )  I have been using emwave on and off for years, and a LOT in recent months.

PS

You seem to keep thinking this story is about a problem I have in my head, one that I need to hack ... to me this story was about a problem of a different sort - an asshole problem.

Asshole problem?  Must be your diet!

I dont think there is anything wrong with your head.

• Asshole problem?  Must be your diet!

I dont think there is anything wrong with your head.

OMG  asshole problem/diet - very cute : )

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

I was only being cheeky! :-D I think your reaction is the same as what anyone else would have had. I've never been to LA or even USA but I've heard that the best part of LA is the departure terminal...