Cycling Antioxidants

So I just watched the first two parts of the "Fireside Chat with Tim Ferriss" that was put together by WellnessFX and can be found on their blog for free (also includes Jim Welles and Dr. Justin Mager) and I highly recommend you check it out.

Tim Ferriss brought up a point about antioxidants and supplements in general and how "a drug is a drug is a drug" and if you don't cycle off things at whatever time interval is best, you may end up becoming intolerant or doing damage in a different way.

So I just got my first pump of Upgraded Glutathione and bottle of Upgraded Aging Formula and I obviously want to get the most out of my investment and not become intolerant; does anyone know what a good cycling period is and how long to be on and off of a regiment (I understand it may be totally dependent on the regiment I'm on so let's say for example I'm taking/doing just about everything suggested in the BulletproofExec blog) and is there anyway apart from constant blood tracking (which can get expensive) to know if you're on the cycle?

Tagged:

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Sounds like a sweeping statement to me. I supplement with BCAAs, but I doubt I'll build an intolerance to them. Same with a lot of minerals and vitamins. 

What does it apply to and what doesn't it would be a good start.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• edited April 2013

Sounds like a sweeping statement to me. I supplement with BCAAs, but I doubt I'll build an intolerance to them. Same with a lot of minerals and vitamins. 

What does it apply to and what doesn't it would be a good start.

I agree, the statement was fairly vague and I was also skeptical that ALL supplementing would eventually lead to intolerance but believe Ferriss was talking about antioxidants more specifically.

So is there any basis of research or findings to back his statement of cycling antioxidants? Or is he being overly cautious and we shouldn't have to worry about consistent doses? Anyone know or care to weigh in?

(Again, I understand that not all supplements/antioxidants/drugs/etc are equal but I'm just trying to get a better understanding of Tim Ferriss' vague statement and figured this would be the place to ask.)

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Personally if someone is that vague  and gives not real explanation to their statement, then I tend to ignore them. Easy to shout things out, harder to back them up. Quite like Tim's work, but if he doesn't back it up, then it's just for show/advertising. I'd worry about other things until someone comes up with a reasoned opinion.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• McTech0911McTech0911 RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars
    I dont believe that Tim spoke about the antioxidant cycling, he was actually surprised to hear about it, from what I remember it was Dr. Justin Mager who brought this up. Im also interested in hearing about the specific classification of supplements that should be cycled and how. Im on a testosterone boosting herb cycle because theres proof that we build tolerance to those kinds of herbs. Could this be the case with other herbs and vitamin supplements in addition to antioxidants?

RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

Supplier of 100% Grass Fed Pasture Raised Whey Protein Bars

www.rawgrassfedproteinbars.com