Bulletproof Bacon

I've been hunting around the forums and blog for the guidelines for selecting a bulletprrof bacon. All I can remember is pastured pigs and no curing. I ordered some local uncured (and unsmoked) bacon and it just plain didn't have any of that bacon flavor and it just kind of turned grey and chewey. I feel like the bacon selection guidelines are right under my nose, but I just cant' find 'em.
Tagged:

Comments

• Since you already tried local and uncured, maybe check out your local gourmet and/or health food store and look for high-quality, uncured, grass-fed bacon. (if there are any guidelines other than those for bacon, I don't recall atm). You should also have a look at U.S. Wellness Meats, where I'm pretty sure you'll find grass-fed, uncured bacon (both pork and beef).

Anyway, you may have a different reaction of course, but I discovered two days ago that uncured bacon did NOT make feel bulletproof. In fact, it made me feel like hammered dog shit. I actually had to take a nap in the middle of the day, which I haven't had to do in a long time. So, for me at least, bacon is off the menu for now.
  • Most uncured bacon is cured with celery powder, which is just nitrite powder basically. Look for bacon cured with ascorbic acid (vit C) in the cure to prevent nitrosamine formation, some nitrate is ok as long as vit C is present in the cure. You want healthy pigs of course. Applegate is usually acceptable lower toxin bacon, but I prefer self-cured or local artisanal.
  • Does anyone have any tips on cooking bacon?
  • 'Hraz' wrote:

Does anyone have any tips on cooking bacon?

Here is some discussion on cooking bacon.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/496-bacon/
  • I grab AppleGate from whole foods, there stuff is pretty good, although it's with celery powder. If your eating 4 strips a day I don't think you have to worry about the nitrate.
  • Chriss Kresser said in a podcast that much of the concern over Nitates was based on false science. I also heard somewhere else where someone said the Nitates you get from beets are converted to Nitic Oxide which is good for your heart. Hard for me to accept after my mother warning for years that I was going to get stomach cancer from eating hot dogs and lunch meats.
  • 'Hraz' wrote:

Chriss Kresser said in a podcast that much of the concern over Nitates was based on false science. I also heard somewhere else where someone said the Nitates you get from beets are converted to Nitic Oxide which is good for your heart. Hard for me to accept after my mother warning for years that I was going to get stomach cancer from eating hot dogs and lunch meats.

Pork contains alot of polyunsaturated fat. Thats the biggest problem.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • Does anyone have a source for relatively inexpensive pastured bacon? US Wellness Meats charges 16.50 for 1.5 pounds.
  • A good source is always the local farmer, if you are lucky to live near a good one.

Dave linked to a post on lifehacker, which linked to this:

http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

it is a bacon curing recipe, which still has to be modified.

You remove the garlic and pepper, maybe add some oregano and vitamin C to stop nitrosamines forming.

Replace the salt with himalayan salt, and- if you want to go 100% BP, mix your own curing salt with sodium nitrite from your pharmacy, and some himalayan salt.

The ratio is 6.25% nitrite to 93.75 salt.

It is a good idea to use a scale that measures milligrams if you dont make huge amounts. You want to get this right.

Also you dont smoke the bacon when its cured for 7-10 days, but you bake it in the oven.

Also it is a good idea to turn your bacon every other day.

You want your fridge at 40°F. I put a thermometer inside the fridge and I check it twice a day to regulate the temperature.

happy curing!