Louana Coconut Oil

I bought some pricey organic coconut oil and now I kind of feel like a dipshit.  Is there really anything wrong with LouAna?  It's seriously less than a 1/3 of the price of the stuff I bought.

Tagged:

Comments

• I don't think there's any reason to feel silly because you brought a quality product. There's a l-o-n-g article about coconut oils here: http://www.evolvingwellness.com/essay/how-to-choose-a-coconut-oil-comparing-best-and-worst-brands which strongly does NOT recommend Lou Ana but doesn't say why.

She also has a bee in her bonnet about the flavourless coconut oils, but in the post I just put up I mentioned two which I am very happy with as I just don't like the flavour for cooking. Baking and beauty - fine for the unrefined, organic, raw etc, but for cooking I like the refined stuff as it doesn't have that coconutty flavour.

Its best to avoid the ones which aren't certified organic as you can't be sure that they haven't been bleached, deoderised or extracted using hexane (YAY!). Above and beyond that it becomes an exercise in who's-the-purest-of-them-all as to whether you go for cold- or expeller-expressed, glass or plastic packaging etc etc. You can pay a huge amount of money for something as pure as the driven snow, but I get a bit "thing" about this sometimes, given that we live 100 meters from a freeway and the air is roughly equivalent to smoking a pack a day anyway !!

Oh, and before anyone comments and says "Well move then !" please PM me for my PayPal details - I'll gladly take donations of up to $500k to move to Margaret River :D:D

I'd be interested to hear if you liked it, and if it made a difference to your health ....

• Well, so far the only thing I can tell you is that it certainly tastes better than LouAna.

• the louanna is THE worst coconut oil. Its all the leftover coke of the shells. Horrible stuff. You're buying two different products in my opinion. louanna is strictly cooking. I know this becuase I was eating it by the table spoon before I became enlightened.

• If you have a Trader Joe's near you, their Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Filtered Coconut Oil is pretty good stuff and is only about $6 for a 16 ounce jar.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Louanna is technically hydrogenated and rancid in theory.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Costco sells large containers of extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil.

If you don't have access to costco, the nutiva website has very good deals and you can find coupons for a gallon container.

• I recently tried Ojio. It tastes very nice and has a nice texture. Liked it best *I think* it is so hard to tell unless you have then all there to try at the same time. You can order it by the gallon or larger, and it is very strictly processed. I think it is my favorite I have tried.

I have eaten/used the following:

Dr. Bronners, both refined and unrefined--way less tasty than Ojio, and texture is more liquidy as massage oil

Tropical traditions Gold--thicker texture, better as a massage oil

Some other one from whole foods, at my office so can't see label, but tasty and smooth, subtle taste

and I think Nutiva a long time ago don't recall details

Just ordered a gallon of the Ojio. I will also try Trader Joe's and the Costco tub. Trying to identify which is my favorite, and then get that kind in bulk. I also use it for skincare, deodorant (mixed with baking soda--amazing!) and as a massage oil. We put a scoop in our BP coffee each AM for extra benefits that CO has.