Packing Butter In Checked Luggage?

Dave, Anyone,

I'm flying to Shanghai next week for a two week business trip. Now that I've been bullet proof for a month, I'm pretty dependent on my Kerry Gold happy cow butter.

Has anyone successfully traveled with butter in their checked luggage?

Anyone had any issues?

The TSA website doesn't say anything explicit about food, but I'm a little concerned, especially given the specific form factor of Kerry Gold packaging image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

PS: Dave: I saw you talk a few weeks ago in Palo Alto. I bought coffee there, and since reordered online and bought MCT oil. I can't get over how amazing the coffee is. wow.

Regards,

Michael Berlinger

San Francisco, CA
Tagged:

Comments

• Get there SUPER EARLY, especially if you fly a moderately-inept airline like China Eastern. To wit: I flew LAX to Shanghai last month and we arrived 3 hours before the flight. But after spending 2 hours in line to check in, we just made it on board. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough time for 3 of the 4 of our bags to get on the plane with us.

We were perplexed until we realized all 3 of the delayed bags had been inspected by TSA (we had those slips of paper inside). That was just enough of a delay that they were left behind. Why? We had jars of peanut butter requested by our Shanghai hosts. Our 4th person's bag had nothing and was not inspected.

So.... you'll most likely be fine. Just give yourself enough time.
  • @mberlinger, I'm also going on a two week trip out of the country at the end of June and am a bit anxious about packing butter (and generally staying bulletproof). Will you please report back on your experience with packing and/ or carrying along butter? Thanks! -LLJones
  • If you weren't planning on doing it already i'd suggest that you freeze the butter to avoid it making too much of a mess if your bag gets a bit squished image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    www.optimoz.com.au

Upgraded products for Aussies AND NOW NZ!!
  • @ Leon, thanks for the tip! Really smart idea which I will definitely do... -LLJ
  • Will be putting this to the test on my return flight on Sunday. Seems easier to find Kerry Gold unsalted butter in San Diego then it is in Houston. Figured I would stock on this trip since the goberment is paying for the flights.
  • I travel with it all the time. Just wrap it in a plastic bag, with a little ice if it's hot. It keeps just fine for weeks without refrigeration.
  • I purchased 5 blocks of Kerry Gold in San Diego and froze 4 of them as I still needed some while there. For the flight home I placed the 4 frozen ones and the 5th block in a gallon zip lock and wrapped it in a t-shirt. Put it in my checked bag and 9 hours later when I removed it, the butter was still partly frozen and not crushed. Did not try and take it as a carry on item though..may try that next.
  • I've just returned from Beijing and took 250g of Anchor unsalted butter with me (grass feed from NZ), however Anchor unsalted was available at the hotel (at breakfast) and is sold in some of the expat supermarkets. Anchor unsalted is also available in most supermarkets in Thailand. I packed the butter in a sealed polypropylene tupperware type box in checked luggage, it got scanned but it was never flagged up....
  • In an insulated bag in my checked luggage I packed:

- 5 blocks of Kerrygold butter

- 16oz MCT oil

- 5 pounds of grassfed beef

The butter and beef were frozen before departure, and after 7 hours of being out of the freezer, were still frozen solid when I got to my destination.

I wrote a note with a sharpie on the outside of the bag that listed the contents, and asked them to wrap it up properly if they inspected it.

Great success! Will not go without my BP coffee while traveling image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • I like to get super intense about organizing supplements and taking oils safely with me when I travel bulletproof too. My bag ends up having a clear dividing line of cloths on one side, mobile kitchen on the other.

As for packing butter, this is the best container you can buy. Ziplock bag two blocks of Kerrygold and put one in each compartment. They have some other cool storage supplies as well.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/hammered-metal-tiffin-lunch-box.do?page=5&from=fn
  • International travel is the concern, I think.

I just got back from a trip to the UK and they make it crystal-clear that "dairy" is not allowed in the UK... I think it's pretty funny that the Kerry Gold butter is from Ireland...

I asked the passport checkers -- they recommended I "declare" it just to be safe -- they also said they might end up letting me hold on to it. So... I ended up going through the line of "Something to Declare" but no one was there, so I innocently walked right through along with the three bricks I had in my suitcase, having done all I could do.

Even on the way back, "dairy" was brought up again -- as in Strictly NONE -- and you know our US patrol... the dogs are always out. At least often times at SFO!

Anyway, that was my palm-sweating experience.

p.s. And no -- I could not find Kerry Gold **IN** London. I was able to find a clean butter at the Whole Foods there but the branded butter at Sainsbury's and Waitrose didn't explicitly say whether it was grass-fed or not.
  • Get there SUPER EARLY, especially if you fly a moderately-inept airline like China Eastern. To wit: I flew LAX to Shanghai last month and we arrived 3 hours before the flight. But after spending 2 hours in line to check in, we just made it on board. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough time for 3 of the 4 of our bags to get on the plane with us.

We were perplexed until we realized all 3 of the delayed bags had been inspected by TSA (we had those slips of paper inside). That was just enough of a delay that they were left behind. Why? We had jars of peanut butter requested by our Shanghai hosts. Our 4th person's bag had nothing and was not inspected.

So.... you'll most likely be fine. Just give yourself enough time.

I can try to explain this.  I'm not sure if it's true but my old roommate worked for TSA and he told me that peanut butter shows up as C4 in their scanners/screeners or whatever it is they use.  He always used to put it in his bags when traveling with a friendly note just for fun. Often they would write back with a comment.  

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

I recommend declaring a food item even if you don't really need to. The majority of passengers want to go through the do not declare aisle so I always find you can bypass all those people by declaring *something* and they usually just wave me through.

Butter would be perfect, killing two birds with one stone!

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Great thread. Off to the US in July and don't want to go without my BPC for 10 days.

What do you guys use as a blender?

Links!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Elfqueen,  my Kerrygold was confiscated by Canada customs when I declared it - makes you wonder why you bother. Kerrygold cheese is ok in Canada but thanks to protectionism for Quebec farmers grass fed butter might as well be radioactive. If I'd crossed the border from the US I could have brought it in, but coming from the EU I needed health tests and importation papers apparently.