Mackerel V Sardines

Can those who know more than me help me out? I'm currently having either mackerel or sardines with some olives and an avocado as my first food of the day around 12pm. Have tired both with olive oil, sunflower oil, brine and spring water (haven't tried the tomato sauce, as I'm guessing that's far from bulletproof). Don't really have too much of a preference.

Issue is I prefer mackerel of the two, but it's comes in around 270kcal compared to around 170kcal for the sardines. As someone who needs to calorie restrict due to weight, I'm thinking of dropping the mackerel in favour of the sardines and save 100kcal-a-day.

Anyone have any info that'll stick up for the extra calories in Mackerel. And also should I mix up what it comes in or am I better off sticking with spring water or olive oil. Thinking I should stay away from sunflower oil.

So presently I'm having one of the above (85g) 5 to 6 days a week. I'd prefer to have the majority of them as mackerel in olive oil, but my weight and health will come over my tastebuds.

Anyone know what's bulletproof?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

Comments

• I vote for the sardines because mackerel is higher in toxins.  Salmon may be the best option.  It is even lower toxin and has a better fat profile.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

forgot to mention I'd be happy with replacement suggestions. Was on Tuna before getting on here, now sardines or mackerel. Have had the odd bit of salmon, but it's 3 or 4 times the price. Could start adding it in here and there, but not everyday at the moment ;-)

More info on the toxins?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

How to find out the omega 3 content? Surprisingly nothing on the can ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013

taste preference is Mackerel, calorie & price preference is Sardines!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• OceanRayOceanRay
    edited May 2013

I vote for the sardines because mackerel is higher in toxins.

Avoid Mediterranean sardines. 

It's one of the most polluted seas in the world. Being almost totally landlocked, water only flows in from the Atlantic at Gibraltar and rivers with much Industrial waste.

The main way water leaves the Med is through evaporation leaving increasing concentrations of heavy metals etc etc. 

• I would favour the sardines as it also contains a healthy dose of Selenium.  I looked it up and unless my sources are incorrect the sardines contain slightly more selenium.  One thing that springs to mind is the question of farmed fish, is one better than the other?  The sardines I have been getting at a decent price are Canadian and hopefully pretty clean.

• Avoid Mediterranean sardines. 

It's one of the most polluted seas in the world. Being almost totally landlocked, water only flows in from the Atlantic at Gibraltar and rivers with much Industrial waste.

The main way water leaves the Med is through evaporation leaving increasing concentrations of heavy metals etc etc. 

Whatttt, how can you be so sure? I am going to a Greek island on Monday to spend the summer. I was hoping to live off what I thought would be nice fresh fish especially sardines! what would you suggest?

• OceanRayOceanRay
    edited May 2013

Some greek islands are far from the south Europe coast (dense population = increased pollution). so maybe it's better there. 

If you're eating fish daily, bring shitloads of chlorella.  (I think Dave takes about 25g after fish meals!) Find a high quality brand that won't make you nauseous in big doses. 

Dr. Klinghardt says don't take vitamin C within two hours of chlorella as it breaks the bond with the metals and allows them to be reabsorbed in your gut. 

Eat fish as far down the food chain as poss. (anyway, I don’t know if they still catch ray/marlin/bluefin etc in the, Med.)