Intermittent Fasting, Bp Coffee, & Training

Hello,

My first post.  Indulge my new-ness.

I've been studying diet and exercise for a long time now.  IF (LeanGains), Paleo, BP, and everything involving diet and exercise until my brain wants to explode.  Discovered BP last fall.

I've started intermittent fasting about 2 weeks ago.  Gradually seeing how I tolerate it.

Gave up my standard breakfast of BP + eggs and bacon.  Now just BP + Supplements.

I have been using the BP coffee since last November.

It has grown on me.  But I added in Cacao powder when I started drinking it.

Seems a little bare without.

Now, my questions are:

If I add calories in the morning, aren't I breaking the fast in the morning, even if it's BP?

What about the add-ons"

e.g

BP Cacao Butter = Calories + Carbs? (can be a little strong on my stomach)? 

BP Choclate Powder = Calories + Carbs? <--Isn't there some sugar in here too? 

Vanilla = Neutral?

MCT oil is a good fat, but the calories?

Raw Cacao powder (Navitas) = Calories + Carbs?

Does putting in the add-ons cause an inadvertent cost to the diet regime?

LeanGains keeps saying to consume "0" calories in the morning.

Won't drinking this mix break the fast early?

I eat lunch, grass fed animal of some sort, between 1-2pm. (Looking for grass finished which is very hard to find locally)

Unsure about carb + protein + fat mix to improve fasting results?

Now on to training.

I'm a 9-5er, so working out after 5 is my only option.

I started doing the Reverse Pyramid Training just yesterday.

Experimenting with a self-made amino acid mix before going in the gym.  Makes me more energized.  No fillers.

I add a scoop of Sweet Potato powder to the aminos now since I understand it helps with the uptake and energy when working out. 

Can this combo act negatively towards the IF?

Then a scoop of Whey protein when I leave the gym.

I get home and eat some sort of meat meal.  Carbs I am always unsure of.  I had some sweet potato last night.

I think I'm trying to understand how to maximize this whole method and remain healthy, aka BulletProof?

Thanks

GlenBo

Comments

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Fat doesn't break the fast, the carbs in cocoa powder are almost all fibre so your looking at maybe 1g carb in a teaspoon, up to you if think its worth it, butter and MCT only is best, anything else added to it ranges from moderate to fail. You could move your lunch carbs to the evening so you end up having them all post workout, so lunch would be fat and protein. Afternoon training is optimal so you are good there.

have you tried adding creatine to bpc? interested in what the mental effects might be like

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I drink my coffee over a 6-8hr period so I don't think it would be a good idea.

Lat year I experimented with a Creatine Patch from AgeForce.  I think it worked since it was transdermal, but there are so many products out there and it's hard to figure out if something is working.  It could be many other factors and not just the one thing.

• Fat doesn't break the fast, the carbs in cocoa powder are almost all fibre so your looking at maybe 1g carb in a teaspoon, up to you if think its worth it, butter and MCT only is best, anything else added to it ranges from moderate to fail. You could move your lunch carbs to the evening so you end up having them all post workout, so lunch would be fat and protein. Afternoon training is optimal so you are good there.

After years of being told NOT to eat carbs later at night, It's hard to think that eating some at night after working out would beneift me.

Won't those carbs be converted to fat,since I'm a few hours from bed?  Or will just eating protein and fat in the afternoon a few hours before working out make me burn fat and nothing else?

It's hard to get my head around the "Eat the most calories post-workout" idea of IF.  Seems paradoxical to years of what I've learned about losing weight.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

Have you read any of the threads in Athletic Performance?

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/forum/9-athletic-performance/

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• edited May 2013

Hi All,

I've been doing IF for almost a month now.

The first 10 days I was losing weight fast- probably about 6+ pounds, the following week I lost a few more (2-4), and the last 2 weeks nothing!

I admit to having a little cheese and a little chocolate on the carb feeding days as well as a glass of wine.

Also, I was eating raw carrots most days and 1/2 an apple.  I cut those out and still no change.  I am 100% compliant with what's written on this site for a week now.  

Today I counted up what I've been eating and it looks like this:

2T mct

2T GF butter

2T EVOO

an avocado

~1000 calories of great fats

+  500 calories protein (gf meat, very lightly cooked pastured soy-free corn-free eggs, some organic chicken)

+  a huge salad (the avo and the EVOO are in the salad with the chicken or meat)

I have some ionic fizz at bedtime; it has a few calories from beet powder, fructooligosaccharides, and lo han.

It seems to me that even if I weren't doing IF, I should be losing ~2#/week just for the calorie deficit and ketosis alone.

Can anyone offer an explanation or suggestions?

• Hi All,

I've been doing IF for almost a month now.

The first 10 days I was losing weight fast- probably about 6+ pounds, the following week I lost a few more (2-4), and the last 2 weeks nothing!

I admit to having a little cheese and a little chocolate on the carb feeding days as well as a glass of wine.

Also, I was eating raw carrots most days and 1/2 an apple.  I cut those out and still no change.  I am 100% compliant with what's written on this site for a week now.  

Today I counted up what I've been eating and it looks like this:

2T mct

2T GF butter

2T EVOO

an avocado

~1000 calories of great fats

+  500 calories protein (gf meat, very lightly cooked pastured soy-free corn-free eggs, some organic chicken)

+  a huge salad (the avo and the EVOO are in the salad with the chicken or meat)

I have some ionic fizz at bedtime; it has a few calories from beet powder, fructooligosaccharides, and lo han.

It seems to me that even if I weren't doing IF, I should be losing ~2#/week just for the calorie deficit and ketosis alone.

Can anyone offer an explanation or suggestions?

Homeostasis is a pain in the A$$!  Yes, plateaus will happen.  I lost 115lbs. last year, in 7 months, but going full Ketogenic.  I would go 2 weeks without any losses, and then 8lbs off.  Then I hit a wall after an groin injury knocked me out of my routine.  Then I stalled.  I've been at the same weight since September.

I do believe that caloric deficit is necessary in order to lose weight, but intense physical exercise to burn calories also is needed.

How Dave Asprey claims to eat 4,500 calories a day and not gain weight, I just can't believe this.

Calories ingested are used to survive.  If more comes in then necessary to survive, then it is turned in to body fat, including protein.

Figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) or the calories needed to maintain your weight.  Get a good scale; "Withings" or "Tanita" (which is powerful)

Mine is about 2,700 calories.

If I eat 1,700 calories a day, and no exercise, then I will lose weight.

If I exercise really hard for an hour, and burn 500-1000 calories, another deficit.  (100k/cal / 10 minutes)

How much ARE you supposed to weigh is also important.  Search for weight/height charts.  If you're within 5-10% of this weight, then relax.

If not, then be patient.  Re-evaluate all your foods.  All those little calories add up.  Hidden sugars are everywhere.

The "MyFitnessPal" app can be eye opening, and a little depressing, when you figure out what you we're eating.

I've been experimenting the last few weeks giving up my bacon and eggs in the morning and just drinking the BF coffee.

I feel ok.  I'm surprised actually.  IF seems so counter-intuitive, but I actually feel better the less I eat.

The hardest part is the psychological need to eat at regular intervals; breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I'm still unsure about the carbs after working out at night.  So much dogma about NOT eating late and carbs at night is still in my head.

LeanGains is definitely something I'm trying to work my routines in to.

This forum is like a big support group. :ugeek: