To Minimize Ufa Oxidation -> Sous-Vide To Cook Chicken Pork And Poultry?

edited May 2012 in Recipes
Hey, new to the forum. I have been browsing the website and I really enjoy the fact that this website has strong evidence to back up the claims. Basically, solid advice along the lines of the paleolithic diet!

Thanks for such a great resource.

I got to thinking, if cooking things like chicken, turkey and pork conventionally is not good because of the inherent oxidation of unsaturated fatty acids that can go on, perhaps sous-vide (French for vacuum sealed) low temperature cooking could make up for this? I believe this would limit the oxidation process by a large factor.

Below is a link for cooking chicken Sous-Vide at 140F. Cooking chicken at this temperature is safe if the internal temperature maintains at 140F for a period of time dependent on its fat content (a chicken with 12% fat takes 35 minutes to be pasteurized at 140F)

In a vacuum bag, there is little oxidation that can occur. Most bags keep seal and prevent air from seaping through, from what I have read about the vacuum bags is that they are pretty non-porous (at least during the time period of cooking up to 160 F for less than a day or so).

Cook Chicken Low Temperature.

Then if you want some maths to back up the safety of the chicken take a look at this applied math grad student's work.

He references the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Technical Report 2005 on cooking all different types of meat products including chicken in a table he listes with temperatures and cooking times . The 'cook chicken low temperature' link above also includes a graphical form of the table (which is on page 29 of the following PDF link), a decreasing logarithmic curve where x-axis is time required to pasteurize and y-axis is temperature.

A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking by Douglas E. Baldwin

For many of you Sous-Vide pros this is old information, I just thought I would share it with the community.

Now getting down to the biochemistry and the vote; What's the take on Sous- Vide for pork, chicken and other poultry in terms of oxidation of fatty acids?

For you science nerds: I would do my own analysis but I don't have an hplc mass spec at home! Maybe some other method of detection quantitatively the oxidized fat content? Otherwise gotta figure out a DIYbio method to make my own quadrapole, hopefully I remembered something in E&M.