Grass Fed Cheese - Rumiano Dairy

http://www.rumianocheese.com/

Saw this at my grocer today in the deli aisle while grabbing some Painted Hills pastrami for a BP lunch; it was only $7.99/lb and was delicious in the sharp-cheddar variety.

Might be worth seeing if your local grocer has access to it...

I haven't seen it at Whole Foods; but it might be there.

Dan
Tagged:

Comments

• Wow! Can't wait. Thanks for the tip, Dan.
  • BTW- I didn't see "grass fed" on their website. So I asked.

Here's the reply from the company....

[font="Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"]Thank you for contacting us regarding our cheese. It is true that our cheese is grass fed and is made using local small family farmed milk. The grass fed cheese is available at some Wholefoods stores and will have the Grass-Fed logo on the package (please see the attachment), Wholefoods cuts up the larger block and repackages it. We do co-pack for other companies so please look for the logo. The Rumiano Family Organic cheese is all made using our organic milk and I recommend trying it. Thanks and have a great week![/font]
  • FYI, If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they sell the KeriGold cheese. Same people that make the grass fed butter.
  • I bought some Kerry Gold Dubliners cheese. It tastes good, and I didn't feel bad after eating it. However, Dave Asprey puts all cheese in the red section of the BP diet. I read an article yesterday saying hard cheeses are high in mycotoxins, but soft cheeses are a bit better. I think I might have a little bit from time to time as a cheat food.
  • Grass-fed cheese is still not Bulletproof due to the mold issues and possible digestion issues; BUT - if you're going to eat cheese once in a while, it's likely much better for you than factory-farmed, grain-fed, hormone/anti-biotic laced cheese...
  • That might be a little extreme...

We all have to make choices about when/where to deviate from the green-side of the BP Diet. On the overall continuum, in the presence of an otherwise healthy diet and otherwise healthy individual, I don't think a little grass-fed cheese once in a while is going to be the smoking gun that puts someone down.
  • Dave has always said cheese isn't bulletproof. I've tried Kerry Gold cheese, and it doesn't have any noticeable effects on me. I found some grass-fed, raw cheese in Massachusetts yesterday. I tried some, and it is good and I feel fine. I might add a little cheese to my diet and monitor the impact.
  • I love cheese and seem to feel fine after eating it. I also have a lot of respect for BP. This is why I am trying to understand why cheese is considered anathema on BP.

Here is a quote from Dave:

“CHEESE Cheese is the result of microbes such as bacteria or fungi competing for a food source. Each microbe attempts to use chemicals to convince other forms of life not to eat that food source. Sometimes we call those chemicals antibiotics or mold toxins; other times we call them “delicious.” As your liver works to process cheese toxins, your Labrador brain demands energy, and you are likely to experience food cravings as a result. This is why so many people simply love cheese—they eat it, and then they crave more. Mold toxins in cheese and dairy come from two places. The first is indirect contamination, which happens when dairy cows eat feed containing mycotoxins that pass into the milk. The more contaminated animal feed is, the cheaper it is, so producers don’t normally strive to eliminate toxins from animal food. The second source of toxins in cheese comes from direct contamination, which occurs when we accidentally or intentionally introduce molds to cheese. The most common mycotoxins that are stable in cheese are citrinin, penitrem A, roquefortine C, sterigmatocystin, and aflatoxin. Some others, like patulin, penicillic acid, and PR toxin, are naturally eliminated from cheese. Sterigmatocystin is carcinogenic.22 I’m not trying to be alarmist. Unless you have severe allergies, cheese is not going to kill you today. But it may cause inflammation in your skin and joints and brain, and it may make you fat. You choose whether or not to eat it.” 
    ― Dave AspreyThe Bulletproof Diet

Sounds like there are two sources of mytotoxins in cheese - cow feed and direct introduction of mold into cheese. I wonder if this is dependent on the cheese type?

a. Cow feed: for grass fed, organic cheese presumably cow feed should be no more of a concern than for grass fed, organic butter which Dave loves and recommends? I assume then it should not be a concern for the subj or similar grass fed, organic cheeses.

b. Intentional direct introduction of molds: I assume this just refers to intentionally moldy cheeses - blue, camabert and the like? Hence again, should not be a concern in our case.

c. Unntentional direct introduction of molds: wouldn't that be, firstly, unexpected for a producer with good manufacturing practices, and, secondly, fairly easy to see, smell and taste if it happens, like it is for veggies and fruit?

Would appreciate if more knowledgeable members can point out what I am missing here...

• Any thoughts on this?

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

My 2 cents: I eat grass-fed cheese almost every day. It's nutritious and delicious. Try it out for yourself and see how it makes you feel. It isn't a bulletproof-approved food, but that doesn't mean it's the devil, either. There are studies coming out that point to full-fat dairy as protective against metabolic syndrome, so if you tolerate it, eat up!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

'Milk fat – the good, the bad, the globule membrane"
    superhumanradio.com/blog/milk-fat-the-good-the-bad-the-globule-membrane

"Milk Fat Globule Membranes Power Up Strength Gains by Improving the Wiring of Subjects' Muscles | Plus: Its Proven Health, EPO & Immune-Boosting Effects Won't Hurt Either"
    suppversity.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/milk-fat-globule-membranes-power-up

fake it till you make it

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I guess now that wine is BP approved, cheese will soon follow.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• NomadNomad
    edited April 2016

I guess now that wine is BP approved, cheese will soon follow.

That just leaves the baguette out :)

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

That just leaves the baguette out :)

Baguette is probably fine, as long as you drizzle a little Brain Octane on it first.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!