Weight Loss Success Stories -- Pls Share What Worked For You

Dear women, please help me lose weight.   Could you share your success stories? I am especially interested in learning about your daily meal plans, portions of foods and how else you tweaked Dave's diet advice? 

For example, how much butter and mct oil do you consume daily?  And how much meat (in lbs) do you eat daily?  What's your carb regiment?  Portion sizes?  I feel like women's diet requirements might be different from guys....and we certainly don't eat the same portions as guys.

I've been following BP diet and have done IF fasting since December and I lost some weight in the beginning and then gained weight.  My thyroid has gotten sluggish after doing the Rapid Fat Loss in January so I added carbs back in (at least 50 grams a day) and gained weight. Agh. I need your help.  Thanks.

Comments

• Can you explain how IF works?  Am I supposed to have BP coffee in the morning and then "fast" until about 2pm and get all of my meals between 2pm and 8pm?  Any advice would be helpfull.  I am starting the diet today, have already had my BP coffee but know that I will start o get a little hungry around noon.  Is that normal?

• karenkaren "Say your 3 S's: Star, Smile, Strong!"
    edited May 2013

<<<Dear women, please help me lose weight.   Could you share your success stories? I am especially interested in learning about your daily meal plans, portions of foods and how else you tweaked Dave's diet advice? 

For example, how much butter and mct oil do you consume daily?  And how much meat (in lbs) do you eat daily?  What's your carb regiment?  Portion sizes?  I feel like women's diet requirements might be different from guys....and we certainly don't eat the same portions as guys.

I've been following BP diet and have done IF fasting since December and I lost some weight in the beginning and then gained weight.  My thyroid has gotten sluggish after doing the Rapid Fat Loss in January so I added carbs back in (at least 50 grams a day) and gained weight. Agh. I need your help.  Thanks.>>>

newyorker,

Have you read The Hormone Cure?? That will help give you options on thyroid-specific help. Also, it is my understanding that cyclic carb re-feeding is important...and I agree that there has to be some differences with women/men, but I don't know if that would be portion sizes (which would depend on size and body type no matter what gender), but I think the hormonal fluctuation in our monthly cycles is the greater difference that requires adjustments.

I'm a work in progress...so I'll post up some stats when I have something longer term. I think my fat (butter/MCT) portions were too large to start. I tried to jump into Dave's portions, but soon after, I hit a food wall and didn't want to eat anything and the thought of food repulsed me. I'm still tweaking it to figure it out....I can get short term weight loss, but I want to see that I can sustain this before putting up my story.

• karenkaren &quot;Say your 3 S&#39;s: Star, Smile, Strong&#33;&quot;
    edited May 2013

<<<Can you explain how IF works?  Am I supposed to have BP coffee in the morning and then "fast" until about 2pm and get all of my meals between 2pm and 8pm?  Any advice would be helpfull.  I am starting the diet today, have already had my BP coffee but know that I will start o get a little hungry around noon.  Is that normal?>>>

Welcome! :)

Have you visited Dave's blog or looked around the website? All general questions about BP/IF/Supps, how tos, etc. have been answered in great detail so you can read/listen/learn at your own pace. You can also use the search box on the forum page to see if the topic you have questions about has already been asked/answered (if it's a newbie question, it has probably been answered in detail already on the forum, so a quick search will probably give you everything you need.)

I'd also suggest just reading through the topics...you'll come across things you haven't even thought of yet!

Regarding your specific question on timing...if you are doing IF, you can adjust the feeding time to best fit your work/workout/lifestyle schedule. In other words, maybe noon to 6pm works better for you than 2-8. And you are not starving yourself, you are drinking BP coffee and the other recommendations. Also, there will be an adjustment period while your body gets used to this way of eating that will depend on many factors, such a where you are starting, how diligent you are, etc.

Good luck with BP!

• Thanks for the book reco!  Ordered it just now.

• My story is pretty limited so far - and my only quantitative evidence is shakey at best, but this is what I have done so far.

I used to weigh around 63kg which I was happy with, then a few things happened:

1. I started judo - a bit of muscle gain

2. I went to a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with severe depression and started taking medication - some weight gain but can't prove it was associated...maybe jut because i felt happier I was down with slamming down more cakes or something

3. I did an intense year of uni study (my honours year), meaning lots of bad food and lack of excersise

4. I broke my foot and did no excerise for a good month or two.

sad to say at the end of that year i was maybe 86kg+ which is some CRAY CRAY right there.

after that honours year I got back into training straight away, and I have been training 5 days a week (most weeks I do 4/5 judo sessions then 1-2 gym on the weekend) since then. A typical day would be 1hr walk to work, .30 min walk to train, then 1.25 hr MMA or weights, then 1.5 hrs judo.

For the year I have been struggling to do all the excersise, increase strength and lose the fat. at the end of the last year I was making the 78kg weight cut for competitions but it took a week of weight cutting and although sucseeding I was doing it very badly (cutting around 5kg in a week)

I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago, and there is currently a gap in competitions so I decided to not focus on the weight and work on getting healthy, getting off my depression meds, becoming flexible, and working at optimum. Thats when I came across bulletproof dieting.

Following the diet required some relatively minor changes for me, and since I started looking into things and implementing some of the protocals the 4kg to get me into my weight class just came off in a few weeks. I even did some pretty bad things on the weekends and it happened. i was surprised.

So now I am in a weight class I know I can fight in, I am just gonna relax, keep on the BP and track my progress. Eventually I want to get down to 70kg or possibly less, but I am more concerned about performance at the moment.

• My thoughts and opinions:

If one is metabolically broken (and hormonally ) there are some special considerations. I was, and several things helped quite a bit. I did a Whole30 (Very strict Paleo for 30 days) and it was amazing. Whole30 works well with Bulletproff, just use grass fed ghee instead of butter. I combined that with the Leptin Reset Protocol and felt better than I had in years. But it takes a lot of delving, testing and tweaking to get it really right if you have major imbalances etc. I was very frustrated with the fact that just regular Paleo didn't give me the amazing results that everyone else saw. close to two years later I am still refining, and tweaking, and reading a lot. Forums are a great resource, but things do not work the same for everyone. There are many factors to consider.

Most important in my mind is never cheating with gluten (some can handle this, but if you have weight/health issues, I wouldn't). Also, getting the stomach acid situation right, as it can impede a lot of nutrient absorption if too low. From there many of the micronutrient issues will get better, and you can further refine as you go. Lots of small changes over time can really have a big effect. Things for women seem to move a lot more slowly, so be patient and work on the other stuff with zeal (sleep quality, stress, movement). They matter.

Also, IF is not the greatest for some women, especially if metabolically and hormonally challenged. That can change as you move forward, but at the outset it can be a very large stressor for a damaged body and endocrine system.

• L8F, what are the most important tweaks you have implemented?
  • actually, just as an addition - i thought I would put my diet (roughly) up here and if anyone has some tweaks it would be appreciated! I know I am not 100% optimally compliant, but I consider myself in a transition phase...if you guys have thoughts on the best things to change first that would be awesome.

Breakfast - Bulletproof coffee with cocao butter(haven't weighed the chunk but i'm guessing around 5-10g), westgold butter (~25g), MCT oil (4/5 cap full).

Lunch - 1-2 handfulls of baby spinach, 1 cucumber, either ~100g organic sardines or 2 free range eggs, 1/2 avacado.

Pre-workout snack - 2 scoops upgraded whey, around 10 almonds, handfull (sorry about shit measurements) dessigated organic coconut, 2 teaspoons upgraded chocolate powder, .5 teaspoons vanilla powder, .5 - 1 tablespoon raw organic honey, 2 tablespoons milk to mix it all together into a slush (not BP at all i know!).

Dinner - recipie from bulletproof chef, or this website, or something close. On days when training is killer (mayeb 2-3 times a week) I will cook some white rice, or make mashed sweet potato with butter.

issues i already know about:

the westgold butter i think is "mostly" from grass fed cows...there was a thread abuot this previously and if I remember correctly the consensus was that if you don't want to pay insane prices for your butter this is about the closest we ca get to grass fed here.

Honey is not optimal in pre workout, i'm guessing i should just replace it with a green end of the scale sweetener

milk! currently raw milk is not able to be sold for human consumption in australia. I guess a good replacement would be coconut milk?

The other thing that i'm still getting used to and working on is going out with friends and eating out etc...i still faulter a little bit when a group of 10 people wanna go slam down some kick ass pizza. but I think this will come down to habit and training will power.

If anyone can offer any other suggestions I would really appreciate all the help! sorry if i am rehashing over old issues...i've been scanning the forums but sometimes it is hard to remember all the little things!!

• Hey Jason Miller. Where do you get your westgold butter from? 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Westgold is from New Zealand. I use it, I'm not sure about any claims that it's not fully grass-fed. Its from the south island where nobody lives so there is grass, grass and more grass!

• btw i buy my westgold from woolworths 

• L8FL8F
    edited May 2013

New Yorker, I have made so many tweaks along the way it is nuts. I have +thyroid autoantibodies (Hashimoto's), so strict gluten free (as in never ever ever eat it, be vigilant on labels and restaurants) is of utmost importance. I also take a bunch of supps, and managed to get my cholesterol up, my Iron and B12 up, as well as improve thyroid function, mostly through targeted B complex (Metagenics Vessel Care) and a ton of testing plus seriousness about Betaine HCL. I paid out of pocket to see a functional medicine doc, and it was very helpful. She guides my supplementation. I also take DHEA, and had taken pregnenolone as my levels were crazy low. But I test them regularly as well. 

Milk Thistle was initially very helpful for liver issues, and I started Paleo with elevated liver enzymes despite a "healthy" diet and minimal alcohol. I also now take adrenal support supplement ( adaptocrine by apex) and a ton of Mag glycinate at bedtime with 50 of Zinc picolinate. I was zinc deficient, and likely mag deficient like most americans.

I was an obsessional reader on lots of sites, and used to read a lot and learn a lot about hormones from the Jack Kruse site. Things got a little out there on the site, but I still learned an AMAZING amount from some very smart people on those forums (and on MDA before there was a Jack Kruse site)

Hmm, what other tweaks...well, I have figured that even raw dairy puts me on a path for sugar craving, and creates some low grade inflammation. I have been hesitant to admit this as I love and crave dairy. No problem giving up the rest. Also, sugar gets me on a hunger cycle where I will binge eat foods, even things like ground beef or meats, until I feel ill, but still crave more, and more sugar as well. I know better than to go near it, but sometimes I do.

I was also tested and am lacking some random things which I now supplement. I have eczema which was mostly gone, and helped by Borage oil supps and increase in Vit D. Despite really really clean paleo diet for a long time, I was never able to lose weight more than very very slowly, and a few sugar or milky slips and I would gain back a lot, and be inflamed. BP coffee and Rapid Fat loss have been effective for me personally, but I had my diet very tight first, and I had only been eating really healthy oils for over a year now, so there is little of the fat loss side effects as toxins are released (I had major skin issues and irritability doing a ice bath regularly and with the fat loss that accompanied that about a year or more ago, this is way better, and I feel good)

So rambling along, I have made lots of adjustments along the way. But most importantly, you have to keep the food really tight, and not go overboard with portions (hard for me) as well as really find what is manageable for you. Sleep is also important ( Magnesium glycinate and Zinc picolinate 50+ per night has been lifesaving!)

Hope this helps...

• My successes/weight:

I'm slim so I'm not interested in dropping pounds - I just want to get rid of some unwelcome, stubborn fat. I have some on top of my belly muscles, and on my hips. The good news: I've lost some of it! The bad news: after 6 months, I'm far from done.

(NOTE: Most of the 6 months I have not done much IF, and I have hardly exercised.)

My successes/hair:

My hair always grew slowly. Then, the last couple years (since turning 40) my hair started coming out significantly as I shampooed. It was scary! About 1 month after adding most of Dave's recommended supplements my hair stopped coming out and it also started to grow faster.

My successes/toes:

My toes would always peel at the corners of my toenails, and the shafts of my toes have been looking pretty wrinkly to me the last couple years.  About 5 times I week I would soak and use a pumice-stone to get rid of the peeling. I surrendered to the idea of having wrinkly-looking toes. Big surprise- I don't need to use the pumice stone anymore. My toes look cute and somehow they are plump again, too?!

My successes/face:

Kinda similar with my face as my toes, it looks a bit more plump and healthy. 

My successes/Body Heat:

I used to get cold all the time. Now I feel like a normal person. I wonder if it's the lack of grains (a friend of mine recently dropped grains and reports feeling warmer) or if it's the emwave helping my hormones balance out, but whichever it is, it's from this lifestyle.

My successes/Mental:

I feel more clear and sharp.

Problems/deprivation & compensation:

This is a very restrictive, high-maintenance food lifestyle. We're so limited compared to "normal" people, that sometimes it triggers a feeling of being deprived - then I overcompensate with eating too much and/or with eating too many bulletproof deserts. This cycle feels scary since I certainly don't want to become food obsessed. Two things have helped: 1 -  The very few times I've strayed from the diet (on vacations) I have and eaten a bunch of bread and sugar and then felt like CRAP.  For instance, now it's fresh in my mind how crappy I felt eating that stuff on vacation last month that I really truly do not feel I'm depriving myself today, I just feel I'm simply being logical today in avoiding that shitty food.  2 - The other thing that has helped is exercise. I notice I am a lot less focused on food, I'm a lot less hungry and I'm a lot less sweets-oriented the more I get light cardio into my week. This isn't Dave's stricture, I'm just sharing. Long walks with a wee bit of jogging thrown in 4-5x/wk has been a good formula for me. I also do some strength building things, but adding the light cardio yielded those changes, and improved my mood. I hope I can keep it up!

• My thoughts and opinions:

If one is metabolically broken (and hormonally ) there are some special considerations. I was, and several things helped quite a bit. I did a Whole30 (Very strict Paleo for 30 days) and it was amazing. Whole30 works well with Bulletproff, just use grass fed ghee instead of butter. I combined that with the Leptin Reset Protocol and felt better than I had in years. But it takes a lot of delving, testing and tweaking to get it really right if you have major imbalances etc. I was very frustrated with the fact that just regular Paleo didn't give me the amazing results that everyone else saw. close to two years later I am still refining, and tweaking, and reading a lot. Forums are a great resource, but things do not work the same for everyone. There are many factors to consider.

Most important in my mind is never cheating with gluten (some can handle this, but if you have weight/health issues, I wouldn't). Also, getting the stomach acid situation right, as it can impede a lot of nutrient absorption if too low. From there many of the micronutrient issues will get better, and you can further refine as you go. Lots of small changes over time can really have a big effect. Things for women seem to move a lot more slowly, so be patient and work on the other stuff with zeal (sleep quality, stress, movement). They matter.

Also, IF is not the greatest for some women, especially if metabolically and hormonally challenged. That can change as you move forward, but at the outset it can be a very large stressor for a damaged body and endocrine system.

Thanks so much for this - I have enjoyed IF when I've done it, but I have felt reluctant to make it a frequent thing. I do have hormonal issues (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) so maybe I'm doing right by just being an occasional IF tourist for now. I'm using HCL with meals now, too.