Adrenal Glands & Bp Diet

Has anyone heard about how the adrenal glands do on the BP diet? I would like to try BP, and I am in my preliminary research stage. Thanking you in advance. Teri C.

Tagged:

Comments

• I take it that you are a woman? The BP diet focuses heavily on cyclical ketosis, meaning that you in practice go very low carb for periods of time. However, and I would like to have this adressed by Dave, it seems that due to biochemical differences between the sexes the diet essentially splits in two. Women, and Dave has talked about this on the podcast before, not that one should treat him like an oracle, the effects have been observed in the medical community for a long time - it seems, require more reefeeds and it is also quite common for women that undergo long periods of ketosis to loose their period, which in itself is a symptom of something being out of balance. It should come as no surprise that women and men react differently, we are just not the same, period. Therefore, be observant. How does this relate to your adrenals? Well, even men that are in ketosis frequently and are stressed will suffer, it literally cripples their testosterone production. This is due to excess glucocorticoid/mineralcorticoid production, they aid in keeping blood sugar stable. One could expect all kinds of serious side-effects when not being very observant and dedicated to experimenting, of course with minimal harm. I in no way wish to scare you away, because, from my perspective, the BP diet is one of the most powerful and transformative tools one can have in ones toolback, and the work Dave has done is nothing short of amazing. 

In short, assess how stressed you are in your daily life, what is your work load, how much physical exercise do you do, how is your sleep etc. All these will affect the macronutrient composition of your diet. 

• karenkaren "Say your 3 S's: Star, Smile, Strong!"
    edited May 2013

Has anyone heard about how the adrenal glands do on the BP diet? I would like to try BP, and I am in my preliminary research stage. Thanking you in advance. Teri C.

Hi Teri!

Are you asking because you have specific adrenal issues already? I'd get labs done so you

have baseline info before starting, especially if you have adrenal concerns. Keep us posted!
    Conzed: We don't "lose" our periods. :) Either women cease to ovulate or uterine bleeding is reduced to the point of being reabsorbed into the lining instead of having a heavy flow. So which are you referring to? Because one is unhealthy and detrimental and one is normal. If you can maybe post up some studies or research on these effects of ketosis on menstrual cycles that you are referring to, that would help us out a lot!
  • Conzed: We don't "lose" our periods. :) Either women cease to ovulate or uterine bleeding is reduced to the point of being reabsorbed into the lining instead of having a heavy flow. So which are you referring to? Because one is unhealthy and detrimental and one is normal. If you can maybe post up some studies or research on these effects of ketosis on menstrual cycles that you are referring to, that would help us out a lot!

Cease to ovulate! Cease to ovulate! :D 

There is an entire book on the subject, stress, that I would recommend to most people, Robert Sapolsky, Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers. 

On the subject of women losing (killed that last O!) their period, ceasing to menstruate, the phenomenon is not directly caused by a low carbohydrate diet and cyclical ketosis. I think this is a faulty assumption. Rather, doing glycogen demanding sports while denying the body a glucose source WILL elevate your levels of especially cortisol, and also other glucocorticoids. Get a wrong ratio between your cortisol and androgens/estrogens and it is likely that this will manifest itself in some concerning ways. This of course entails that the person engaging in this kind of diet also engages in glycogen demanding exercise, like  sprinting etc. The body needs to keep blood sugar above a certain level which is done by compensatory ketone production. However, when faced with a stressor, which exercise is, let us face it, ketone production will not suffice, as energy delivery must be much more rapid. Enter the stress hormones. This is a simple feed-back mechanism that triggers so that our muscles will not run out of energy. The problem is that these stress hormones do NOT just disappear into thin air, their circulation time is rather long, which if at a certain baseline, is detrimental to your health. Digging yourself out of this hole is not something that is done in a few days, this can take a long time. One thing that one has to remember about these hormones is that they a literally responsible for our survival. In extension of this, it should surprise no one that when an elevation occurs, other systems are temporarily put into a hold. The body should not worry about a period, skin repair, semen production etc when there is a gigantic tiger racing after, intent on slashing your guts open. 

So here we are at how does the adrenals do on a BP diet? Well, it certainly depends. I guess that if you are like, let us say Dave, and have the occasional exercise, you will properly be doing fine in deeper ketosis (which is properly not true at all actually, the man seems to be massively busy, so even he will have to be aware of the potential side-effects of ketosis). Do half a kilometer sprint swim in a short amount of time and in my view, well you just qualified for a good deal of carbohydrates. 

Conzed: thanks! Fascinating. When I was raw vegan it is well known many women no longer bleed once they've been raw for awhile, but they are, in fact, still ovulating regularly. It was jut that the lining being shed each month became very minimal (and no more PMS, either.) Raised the question of are heavy periods really "normal", or is that just what happens when you are a carnivore...but I can honestly report that when day 1 of my period hits (I'm obviously no longer a raw vegan!), I want nothing more than rare steak and lots of it.

I will check out that book!
  • Karen, how did it go?

Conzed: thanks! Fascinating. When I was raw vegan it is well known many women no longer bleed once they've been raw for awhile, but they are, in fact, still ovulating regularly. It was jut that the lining being shed each month became very minimal (and no more PMS, either.) Raised the question of are heavy periods really "normal", or is that just what happens when you are a carnivore...but I can honestly report that when day 1 of my period hits (I'm obviously no longer a raw vegan!), I want nothing more than rare steak and lots of it.

I will check out that book!

"Most women in our culture, then, are disordered when it comes to issues of self-worth, self-entitlement, self-nourishment, and comfort with their own bodies; eating disorders, far from being ‘bizarre’ and anomalous, are utterly continuous with a dominant element of the experience of being female in this culture."— Susan Bordo